13 months in - struggling

Old Oct 3rd 2020, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of
Default 13 months in - struggling

Short background - Moved to Florida in 2009 as a 21 year old. I obtained US citizenship, 4 kids and 10 years later we decided to move back to the UK in August 2019.

We are struggling. I am quickly realizing having spent pretty much all of my 20s in the US, this has shaped me in every way possible.

6 months of constant, and I mean CONSTANT rain from September 2019 to March 2020 then Coronavirus from March to now hasn't exactly helped. But we're not sure how much longer we can go on with this secret sense of inevitability that we will move back to Florida in the very near future.

We know we will give it another year or so, and we will miss my British family very very much but quality of life and our kids future must be at the forefront of our minds.

Not sure what I was looking for when I started writing this post, I suppose this helps, just to put it down on "paper".
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13 months in - struggling

Sorry to hear you're struggling. If it's any consolation, the rain last winter was extremely unusual, and I don't know whereabouts you are, but we've had barely a drop since March (much to my ducks disgust as their large pond has completely dried up!). But definitely not Florida climate.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 1:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to hear you're struggling. If it's any consolation, the rain last winter was extremely unusual, and I don't know whereabouts you are, but we've had barely a drop since March (much to my ducks disgust as their large pond has completely dried up!). But definitely not Florida climate.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
That was my question- where in the U.K. are you? I’m in Norfolk, and it’s so dry, these last few years, that all the arable fields are now permanently piped up for irrigation. This must be an enormous expense for the farmers. And yes, winter 2019 - 20 was exceptionally wet.

I’d say, look at climate maps of the U.K., consider moving somewhere dry! East coast, basically. I’m familiar with FL and I’d say it’s one of planet earth’s more unpleasant climates. But that’s just me!
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Wilto sorry that you are finding the British climate not to your taste.I have lived in southern Spain for nearly half of my life.Previously lived in many parts of England & Scotland with such climatic differences.One day I may actually visit Loch Lomand when it is neither wet nor misty.In Devon we called Feb.to May the"monsoon season".I was born on the south coast of England,thought to be the best of British weather.As I served in the RAF at one time I had to go where I was posted & adapt to that.Like yourself,I have enjoyed the sunshine & all it's benefits like sitting outside for most of the year,very short winters,wearing loose clothing etc.but there is also a downside don't forget.I have been stung or bitten by every insect capable of doing so,the blighters are around for most of the year.The amount spent on keeping the heat out of your home & the dust.Then there is a dramatic rainstorms & thunder,here called "the Gota Frio" when the hot air from the Sahara meets the cold air from Scandinavia.Nowadays I find the heat just too much &,although I may well be going back to UK to experience a vast change,not only in climate but many other aspects,perhaps I am just more used to having had to adjust to whatever I am faced with.Like you,I did have family with me but they returned to England a few years ago.My Spanish granddaughter had to learn new ways also at that time as her only life beforehand was in her birth country.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
That was my question- where in the U.K. are you? I’m in Norfolk, and it’s so dry, these last few years, that all the arable fields are now permanently piped up for irrigation. This must be an enormous expense for the farmers. And yes, winter 2019 - 20 was exceptionally wet.

I’d say, look at climate maps of the U.K., consider moving somewhere dry! East coast, basically. I’m familiar with FL and I’d say it’s one of planet earth’s more unpleasant climates. But that’s just me!
We're in South Wales and loathe to move elsewhere in the UK due to jobs, schools and family being local.

It's rained off and on since Tuesday and we're in a lockdown too, so a double whammy.

FL between June and August is unbearable but you learn to live with it as the rest of the year is pretty decent.

NB there is so much more to it than just weather but I guess it's an easy thing to complain about.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from South Wales myself, and living in CA for past 20 years, if I were to move back to the UK I would not choose South Wales - West Wales or North maybe. Nothing to do with climate (the west coast is wetter than most other areas in the UK), but just a more attractive part of Wales to live.

Imagine moving from Florida to South Wales caused huge culture shock.

You say there is so much more than just weather - you can't change the weather, but you say you are loathe to move elsewhere,...?
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 7:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilto
We're in South Wales and loathe to move elsewhere in the UK due to jobs, schools and family being local.

It's rained off and on since Tuesday and we're in a lockdown too, so a double whammy.

FL between June and August is unbearable but you learn to live with it as the rest of the year is pretty decent.

NB there is so much more to it than just weather but I guess it's an easy thing to complain about.
Yup, I agree with everything you say, and sympathize. Weather is an easy way to characterize the way you feel about a place.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"If you do not like rain, go and live in The Sahara !" was the comment from Scots comedian Billy Connolly. Rain is a blessing !
Old Oct 8th 2020, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

GOALFIRE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Coming from South Wales myself, and living in CA for past 20 years, if I were to move back to the UK I would not choose South Wales - West Wales or North maybe. Nothing to do with climate (the west coast is wetter than most other areas in the UK), but just a more attractive part of Wales to live.

Imagine moving from Florida to South Wales caused huge culture shock.

You say there is so much more than just weather - you can't change the weather, but you say you are loathe to move elsewhere,...?
Funnily enough I grew up in North Wales and one of my top destinations being considered for when we return is South Wales but I'm not all that familiar with the area (we'll rent if we do move there). Main reason for choosing the south is just to live somewhere different in Wales. I'm not set on an actual town yet but Swansea and Haverfordwest (or just a few miles outside these towns) are on the list. Now from a weather perspective we'll be coming from the midwest as opposed to the sun coast so if I never have to shovel snow again I'm happy.

Good to hear some differing perspectives from people who've returned though and sorry it's not working out OP.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Bekkiboo_969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Omg I absolutely loathe FL because of the the heat, snakes and huge bugs especially the cockroaches that fly at you - you can keep them all! My in laws live there and I can only take the FL weather in December to March. And it bloody rains a lot there in the summer so I don’t know why you’re painting a picture that that it never rains there. My husband born in FL also would never wanna move their unless forced too because of work. You cannot do anything in that crazy FL heat sweating constantly having to change and shower multiple times a day. All that constant stream of straight highway traffic, no hills to go hiking, nothing of real historical interest Omgoodness I can go on and on.

Yes you going there at 21 has probably shaped you as well as having your kids there so this coming back to Wales has been a huge cultural shock. Go back to FL and maybe when you get older you can and will be able to adapt to life here again. Especially when it comes to your healthcare.

We live in GA I’ve been there 6 years but me and my husband want to move to the UK one day. He’s happy to endure the changing British weather which sometimes I too grumble about LOL as I do love the GA weather but living somewhere is more than just about the weather....
Old Oct 29th 2020, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

We live on Vancouver Island and we usually get 8 months of heavy, cold rain and a fair bit of snow as we live at higher elevation. In fact, this year the only relatively dry months was from mid July, August and some of September and 2 weeks of sun were blotted out by the acrid wildfire smoke. Can you imagine living with the California wildfires year in year out which seem to be becoming more intense as each year passes? My brother who lives in Devon had far better weather than we did here and it is generally milder during the winter.
We are planning on returning to the UK sometime in 2022 when my son completes Grader 12. To deal with the British wet winters we are planning to snow bird some of the time to the warmer sunnier climates, such as Florida and Mexico when this COVID garbage lets up.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

After nearly 40 years of living in sunny Spain I am hoping to relocate back to Scotland.Not that I am Scottish although I have lived & worked there many years past.Why is everyone so obsessed with the climate??Maybe it is because I served ,at one time,in the Armed Forces & you go where you are sent.My sister´s husband had a good job where the family were moved throughout their branches all over the UK.Should she have refused to move because the west of England is wetter than elsewhere?I don´t even have an overcoat just now as people here are still walking around,surprisingly,in shorts,although they must be visitors I think.You must adapt & think what is the priority.I was born on the south coast of England but it is too expensive for my budget.But I shall be extremely glad to get rid of all those nasty biting insects that have plagued me for countless years in this hot climate.Swings & roundabouts Folks.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid the parts of Scotland that are plagued by biting midges at certain times of the year.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
We live on Vancouver Island and we usually get 8 months of heavy, cold rain and a fair bit of snow as we live at higher elevation. In fact, this year the only relatively dry months was from mid July, August and some of September and 2 weeks of sun were blotted out by the acrid wildfire smoke. Can you imagine living with the California wildfires year in year out which seem to be becoming more intense as each year passes? My brother who lives in Devon had far better weather than we did here and it is generally milder during the winter.
We are planning on returning to the UK sometime in 2022 when my son completes Grader 12. To deal with the British wet winters we are planning to snow bird some of the time to the warmer sunnier climates, such as Florida and Mexico when this COVID garbage lets up.
Devon is a lovely part of the country and no matter where you are there is always something to complain about. Weather is weather and every year can be different but it's mainly a mindset thing. Although we're in Ireland the climate is similar to UK and in general you can get 365 days of sunshine but you have to find it LOL. Of course money plays a part too and maybe harder with kids but we usually just check the weather app in the early morning and I can't think of many weekends that were really bad from March-October, because we know where it's dry. Winter is winter but again we're lucky to have options in Europe and instead of going during summer (very expensive), people could just book a holiday over Christmas. Some days like today (Hurricane here) I catch myself watching the webcam in Spain and would love to visit our place now but then again in summer I'm glad I can avoid Spain.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Walmsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Good morning
Where are you on the island? We are in Mill bay and planning to move 2021.
Have a great day 😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.