13 months back in UK report;

Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Anne Daubney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 13 months back in UK report;

Well I find everything the opposite although I expect my Husband who has lived in the US for 30 years and when he retires is thinking of returning do to
poor health and missing family who are now getting much older, I have only lived here for 4 years and came here due to marriage to Englishman living in US.I think it depends how old you are when you try and make a new life in a different country I was 52 my husband was 28
Originally Posted by J.J
Hello Folks,
It is just over 1 year since we moved back to UK, and I feel things are sufficiently stable now to report the result. The result being we are comfortably re-established in UK.

Acclimatising back in the UK was more of an emotional challenge than we imagined it would be and far harder than the logistics of the actual move and certainly emotionally tougher than the original move to the USA.

We moved out of UK not to escape but for the adventure of a life elsewhere, an opportunity offered by my husband’s employer.
The move was never intended to be permanent although we enjoyed USA enough to stay on 16 more years past the original 2 year transfer and through change of employers. I feel this move to USA breathed new energy into our lives, which were becoming rather predictable back in UK.
John favoured life in the USA over the UK forming a poor opinion of UK from the negatives we saw on our visits back. He achieved career advancements in USA that would not have been possible in UK without relocating.
I enjoyed living in USA but never really settled and felt I never would, not really fitting in although I was friends with a lot of nice people, yet I was uneasy with the need to have a lot of money to have a secure retirement.
We both received higher salaries in USA and had more disposable income than if we had stayed in UK. Fortunately neither of us was seriously ill. Neither of us received employer’s pensions.

So on the verge of retirement we decidied to move back home, to UK, at a time when my job had ended and John was being required to relocate in USA.

On return we experienced the initial pleasures of being back but then we went through emotional ups and downs of things not being as they were when we left, we were outsiders when we had expected to easily integrate. We were disappointed with the decline of standards, diminishing of politeness in public, poor workmanship from tradesmen we used, low quality of clothes in shops.
We were disoriented with society, encountering personal values different to our way of life. We were in culture shock for about 12 months because ‘life’ was somehow of less quality than what we had lived for 18 years and not the same as it was when we left. We were dismayed with life in UK. We had expected that things would be different, and knew we have changed too, but reality was more disappointing than expected.
However, we did not consider moving back to USA. We are moving on and that meant finding our way here in UK.

Cost of living for us, older married with no kids and a house without mortgage, in West Norfolk, UK is about equal to Raleigh North Carolina, USA, if you take out the US medical costs factor.

I am enjoying retirement and wonder how I had time to work. I have enjoyed establishing a flower garden and renewing old friendshps. Family are happy to see us back although we have never been close anyway. John is working having fell lucky with his US employers organization having an opportunity to work from home in UK for a division in Germany (yet another culture challenge).

We successfully navigated Tax Filing season.
As USC we calculated our US tax on TurboTax, mailing in the report because efile is not possible from abroad. The limited automatic extension for USC outside the US enabled us to pass the 330 days outside of US residence test.
The UK does not require that everyone with income file a tax report. We phoned the Tax Office and went through a serious of questions with them, they concluded that our circumstances allows us to not have to file a self-assessment.

We have pleasant neighbours, a NHS that has lived up to expectations, quite adequate public transport and countryside that we enjoy hiking in. There are concerts and shows and places and towns that we like to visit (and some that we won’t return to). We have come to terms with pharmacies that close for lunch, no drinking water fountains in public places, no paper towels in public toilets, rough and tumble of society on public transport, burgers and pizza of low quality (we stopped looking), towns apparently populated by eastern Europeans, country villages with high count of second homes and gourmet pubs (this on our local Norfolk coast) and of course the ever present crowded roads.

As others have said, definately UK is different to USA and we, us two, are different because of our experiences abroad. We have no regrets having lived in US, we enjoyed it.
Now, after a difficult emotional transition we have no regrets being back to UK. Yes we miss aspects of the USA but here is OK too.

Alan Sherman’s song of Camp Granada comes to mind, for us it has now stopped raining and we are happy enough here in Camp UK.

Are we here to stay, in West Norfolk or in UK? All options will be considered but we are certainly comfortably here for the foreseeable future.

A grateful Thank You to all here on British Expats and to the website itself, for your help and advice that prepared and supported us in our transition.
It is now rare that we visit the site so if you have questions then feel free to send a private message.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne Daubney
Well I find everything the opposite although I expect my Husband who has lived in the US for 30 years and when he retires is thinking of returning do to
poor health and missing family who are now getting much older, I have only lived here for 4 years and came here due to marriage to Englishman living in US.I think it depends how old you are when you try and make a new life in a different country I was 52 my husband was 28
So your husband was living in the US before he was born???
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Anne Daubney is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: 13 months back in UK report;

No actually I meant my Husband came to the USA when he was 28 years of age and was previously married to USA citizen for 20 years. No there no place like home
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne Daubney
No actually I meant my Husband came to the USA when he was 28 years of age and was previously married to USA citizen for 20 years. No there no place like home
Sorry was being a bit of a smart a$$, you are right there is NO PLACE quite like home Anne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Imapolicecar is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post and an interesting one. Did you look up the effects of reverse culture shock before you came to the UK?

As someone who now lives in a modern Chinese city, I know a number of things that I really miss about the UK and Austria - the main one being the drinking water. Although the UK pollutes its with fluoride, (a nice way to remove aluminium smelting waste) the quality is far higher than in China.

However, after 20 years living abroad, even here in China, the UK has become relatively more developing country (or is that decadent country) than even China. I expected a big drop in everything after leaving Vienna, but it appears even moving to China isn't as big a drop as I feel I would have moving to the UK.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

What an interesting post: thanks for sharing that. I have been out of the UK for eight years now, spending my time between France (where everything closes dead on the nail of 12.30pm for a long lunch, and most shops in towns and villages close all day Monday) and Siberia where i work for around 7 months of the year.
To me France always remains the same (especially people's attitudes) and has done since my first visit aged 12 when I spent most of my time in a café drinking beer!
However, I do find rapid change in the UK: not only situations but especially attitudes. Living in Russia re-tunes one to attitudes in the UK back in the 50's - very family-orientated and traditional with hard-working children and school with good discipline. So I get a little worried every time I return to the UK and notice things one might not if one were living there all the time. Don't get me wrong: I love Britain and the old way of life, and that is perhaps why I get upset. When i was a boy my father used to get angry with me for adopting the values of his father (my grandfather)! I still share those values.