Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

12 month anniversary of moving back and....

12 month anniversary of moving back and....

Old May 25th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 month anniversary of moving back and....

Originally Posted by CityGal
Glad to hear you are so happy to be home. It give hope to many of us especially as you are in Devon.

I am officially new to this forum but have actually lurked for some time and feel I know many people on here well!

I have been in Australia for many years, arrived alone for an adventure, loved it, moved around, have felt for a while I would like to return home, have just put my house up for sale and am ready to take the plunge! So it seems a good time to join in the chat rather than just listen.

As I only have myself to worry about now and want to change my career I have decided to do the two things together as it seems to make sense and takes some of the anxiety out of "am I doing the right thing?" Luckily for me I am able to invest hard earned cash into a career move as I have no one else to consider.

I need to be within travelling distance of Plymouth for work and study. I think anywhere between Newton Abbot and St Austell would be reasonable travelling distance, though Saltash seems the most convenient. I do know the area (or did years ago!) but do not come from there.

I know sdunx and TraceyW would suggest it is a horrible area to return to and disuade anyone from the area due to the ugliness of it etc, but unfortunately I have little choice so am hoping that maybe I could get some suggestions as to where to live. I will be renting and do not want to spend too much as it is just me, but would like a pleasant area. Any ideas?
Depends what you want, Saltash is an OK place and nice and close if you want to go out in Plymouth regularly. If you want a small town/village lifestyle look at Callington or Modbury, we live in Ivybridge which is a bit bigger and full of families because of the excellent schools.

If you are considering Plymouth then think about the Hoe or Barbican areas, great for night life and very convenient for city centre and the university. You can get away without owning a car in these areas.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Glad to hear that all has gone according to plan. I hope you continue to experience that deep happiness of being in the right place for many years to come!
I like you, your posts are always very circumspect, thoughtful and level headed, I think you must be (or should've been) a headmistress
Old May 25th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

CityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really nice

Thanks, I dont think I want to live in Plymouth and I did forget to mention the 2 dogs..... I think I want to live outside plymouth but on the train line to make it easy for uni. Anyway will get to it later once I have sold and got there! Not sure if uni will be this year or next year, market slow. Just thought it was a good place to say hello to some of the locals
Old May 25th 2009, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by sdunx
Glad you're enjoying being home it's bloody marvellous ain't it! Went for a walk over Dartmoor with Dave and Tracy and kids yesterday, went to a brilliant country pub on way home and got pissed round mine last night - we had a laugh! Dave and Nick gone to Villa park today and Tracy took Anna to the Ivybridge Horse and Dog Show. They live about 500 yds from us, got BE to thank for that friendship!
Well Tracey will be inviting us down for Tea one day...won't you Trace so we will join you all one day.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

CityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really nice

I chose to go to Devon/Cornwall area, because it is so pretty, near the beach/water and has the country side. Also every one who returns to the UK and goes to this area, whether local or not seem to be happy. So great to read a thread like this, very reassuring for those of us returning there
Old May 25th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Depends what you want, Saltash is an OK place and nice and close if you want to go out in Plymouth regularly. If you want a small town/village lifestyle look at Callington or Modbury, we live in Ivybridge which is a bit bigger and full of families because of the excellent schools.

If you are considering Plymouth then think about the Hoe or Barbican areas, great for night life and very convenient for city centre and the university. You can get away without owning a car in these areas.

Thanks sdunx, I will be looking these places up on the internet as at present I am not at all sure where I want to live!

I have tried to quote here, but not at all sure if it will come out right!
Old May 28th 2009, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

ha bloody ha - and I thought you loved me? LOL
Awww shucks, I do, wiv all my heart

, Ivybridge which is a bit bigger and full of families because of the excellent schools.

No it's not Stuart...it's a terrible place to live. Awful. No room for anyone else here. All full up.....

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Well Tracey will be inviting us down for Tea one day...won't you Trace so we will join you all one day.
Helloooooo me old fruitcake, how the devil are you? Always welcome here love. Just bring a sledgehammer and some plaster, and a paintbrush would be handy too!!!

Originally Posted by CityGal
I chose to go to Devon/Cornwall area, because it is so pretty, near the beach/water and has the country side. Also every one who returns to the UK and goes to this area, whether local or not seem to be happy. So great to read a thread like this, very reassuring for those of us returning there
Will you please listen to me. It's a HORRIBLE place to live. Absolutely not pretty at all. Not in the slightest bit attractive, even with beer goggles on!!
Old May 28th 2009, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what you want, Saltash is an OK place
Awww strewth... it's nearly killing me biting my tongue Stu....
Old May 29th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Awww strewth... it's nearly killing me biting my tongue Stu....
Wondered how long it would be!