British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Your top 5 eating establishments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/your-top-5-eating-establishments-880182/)

Bibbideeboo Jul 10th 2016 12:48 pm

Your top 5 eating establishments

I know there's a restaurant thread but I was hoping you could share your top 5 eating establishments, what kind of food they serve and where they're located.

bxpuser24710519 Jul 10th 2016 2:48 pm

Re: Your top 5 eating establishments

Very difficult to do only 5 :-) These are oll in Ayamonte.... 3 off Plaza de la Laguna, Café Laguna, Tomas is fun and does great Spanish desayuno ( breakfast) great place to watch the world go by.

Also Galleria La Passage, another favourite breakfast place plus coffee and cake stop. Always has art for sale on the walls.

LPA La Puerta Ancha FAB place for special meals, chef is very accommodating, they do vegetarian and can do vegan. amazing food, a great place all round.

La Casona on Calle Lusitania. Tapas, past winners of Ruta de Tapa and still do one from a few years back that is super. Good choice of tapas. Lovely wee garden out back.

Bar Cortado, La Angustias Church possibly my favourite tapas bar, great tapas great service.

irismary Jul 11th 2016 12:01 am

For tapas, La Consolacion in Cartaya (on the main road between Aldi and Carrefour). For seafood, Casa Luciana, in Ayamonte (opposite Eroski), and Casa Rufino, Isla Cristina (Calle de la Playa, on the eastern edge of town).
For when you are tired of spanish food, La Puerta Ancha in Ayamonte (Plaza de la Laguna).
For a barbeque, with a great out door riverside terrace, O Soiero, in Alcoutim.
O Soiero is very affordable, at less than 10 for any dish, and 4 euros for a litre of wine. Try it on Tuesday, when they have a great fish selection, all market-fresh, as they close at weekends (!). All the rest are not cheap, especially Casa Rufino.
But, as is usual in life, you get what you pay for.

MikeCol Jul 11th 2016 8:08 am

Ok here goes, all time favourites :- Restaurante Associacao Naval do Guadiana (VR) gorgeous Portuguese food, LPA, La Cacadores (Monte Francisco) budget Portuguese, Laguna Cafe, best Spanish breakfast & Quitapeña, brilliant tapas. Regards Bryony

EsuriJohn Jul 11th 2016 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 11999317)
Ok here goes, all time favourites :- Restaurante Associacao Naval do Guadiana (VR) gorgeous Portuguese food, LPA, La Cacadores (Monte Francisco) budget Portuguese, Laguna Cafe, best Spanish breakfast & Quitapeña, brilliant tapas. Regards Bryony

Got to say all those mentioned so far are definitely among the best.there are others though and a lot depends on what price you are looking for. As an example Monte Fancisco a small village has five restaraunts/Cafes and all will do a very good meal for less than €15 one as low as €8 for 3 courses. If you like fish the one we can rely on is Cacadores the boss used to be a fishmonger and knows his fish. The menu of the day usually has a choice of 5 or 6 mains with perhaps 2 fish. The dorada is a particular favourite of mine but the robalo is also very good both done in the Portuguese way on the grill with peppers and onions plus boiled spuds and veg. For sweet I can't resist the pineapple mouse four courses for €10 can't beat it. Go up market to the beach restaraunt at Pria Verdi beach (can't spell it) and the price rockets to want you want to pay but the setting is very special and the food very good and if you like it the champagne the champagne sangria is a knock out two jugs and your anybodies!

jontxu Jul 11th 2016 9:53 pm

For me

1- La Rana - Barriada Canela

2- Fábrica

3- La casona

4 - La Cortada

5 . Casa macias

Fiberite Jul 12th 2016 10:02 am

1 LPA Ayamonte
2 Dom Petisco VRSA
3 Panoramica Prai Verde
4 Yacht Club VRSA
5 Paradise Beach Isla Canella ( if it is still open)
or
Bobadilos Isla Canella

irismary Jul 15th 2016 10:29 pm

This is an interesting thread. I would like to try some of the suggestions if there was a an address atttached, especially those from Jontxu.

Jon-Bxl Jul 16th 2016 8:15 am

Originally Posted by irismary (Post 12003689)
This is an interesting thread. I would like to try some of the suggestions if there was a an address atttached, especially those from Jontxu.

Google is your friend :)

Jon (not txu but bxl)

jontxu Jul 17th 2016 9:49 am

Originally Posted by irismary (Post 12003689)

Sorry
La Rana is in Barriada Canela ( the way from Ayamonte to Isla Canale ) . Best fishes .

Fábrica is in Portugal , near Cacelha Vella . Rice , fishes , salads , cataplana ..

LaCasona in ayamonte calle Lusitania . " Menú del día " and tapas

La Cortada in Ayamonte Iglesia de las Angustias . Tapas

Casa Macias . Jamón
Regards

MikeJ Jul 22nd 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12003901)
Google is your friend :)

Jon (not txu but bxl)

BXL - IATA Code and ICAO code - Blue Lagoon Airport, Fiji ;)

Jon-Bxl Jul 22nd 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12009039)
BXL - IATA Code and ICAO code - Blue Lagoon Airport, Fiji ;)

:confused: :confused: Sorry missed the joke

Jon

MikeJ Jul 22nd 2016 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12009066)
:confused: :confused: Sorry missed the joke

Jon

Not a joke as such, just a wry confession following our last conversation - I owe you a beer (or was it 10€?)

Jon-Bxl Jul 22nd 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12009192)
Not a joke as such, just a wry confession following our last conversation - I owe you a beer (or was it 10€?)

Aaaah remember now. Though its off topic how's this for a deal?

10€ or 1 beer.

Hmmmm how about we split the difference. 5€

1 litre of tap beer at GC (which I don't drink there - as the quality IMO is poor, the bottled beer is much better). 5€.

TWO litres of beer at MF E.g Campesinos, or Maria's bar (or Teresa's resto... Or the little bar next to Luis... Or even Cacadores ... ). 5.40€.

Deal?? :)

Having a lunch and/or a few drinks in a lovely local Portuguese village easily pays for the taxi vs GC!!

No criticism intended for the GC (except their beer on tap) they have really improved things, but from a cost perspective, a trip to MF (or CM with all its choices):and a safe taxi journey is a wonderful option for us at CE

Jon