VPN and DNS

Old Sep 21st 2018, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future
Default Re: VPN and DNS

Originally Posted by pt1188

I’ve used VPN on Priinet for two years now, whenever we visit CE. I started by subscribing to VPN Unlimited to be able to watch iPlayer Sky Go and UK tv. It worked well until 6 months after I had started iPlayer was blocked, as was Sky Go. I then subscribed to Nord VPN with their 3 year subscription as they had lots more servers in the UK and again things worked very well until this last trip here when I found Sky Go to be blocked, with no resolution in sight when I contacted their customer service. I have found out now that VPN Unlimited works well with iPlayer again as they have a dedicated iPlayer server, which presumably stays ahead of the game by switching IP addresses regularly. Unfortunately Sky Go remains blocked.

So if you’re just looking to watch iPlayer and UK tv VPN Unlimited is a cheap option - I found a lifetime subscription deal on a website stacksocial.com for USD 35. Just don’t expect servers not to be blocked / unblocked along the way.

Hope that helps
As an occasional visitor to Ayamonte and with a Priinet connection, this is my solution to getting Video services through a VPN. I've subscribed to PurePVN.

I've connected a laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable. You're extending the laptop screen onto the TV. With a wireless mouse close to you, it's a relatively clean and tidy installation. On the laptop, I've installed an extension for PurePVN on the Chrome web browser. When I use Chrome, I have it permanently connected to a UK server using VPN. Then I simply use the browser to connect to Iplayer, Netflix, Amazon prime etc. The only small problem I initially had is that Iplayer still detected your location and not allowing access. Deleting all bbc cookies fixed this problem.

​​​​I also have a chromecast dongle which I can use to connect to the Spanish version of Netflix which carries most programs we watch in the UK. It is not possible to connect the chromecast dongle, through a VPN to the Priinet router for reasons previously given. This works very well for us to connect to Netflix.

Just some ideas...

​​​​​

Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:45 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN and DNS

Originally Posted by cleverdic
As an occasional visitor to Ayamonte and with a Priinet connection, this is my solution to getting Video services through a VPN. I've subscribed to PurePVN.

I've connected a laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable. You're extending the laptop screen onto the TV. With a wireless mouse close to you, it's a relatively clean and tidy installation. On the laptop, I've installed an extension for PurePVN on the Chrome web browser. When I use Chrome, I have it permanently connected to a UK server using VPN. Then I simply use the browser to connect to Iplayer, Netflix, Amazon prime etc. The only small problem I initially had is that Iplayer still detected your location and not allowing access. Deleting all bbc cookies fixed this problem.

​​​​I also have a chromecast dongle which I can use to connect to the Spanish version of Netflix which carries most programs we watch in the UK. It is not possible to connect the chromecast dongle, through a VPN to the Priinet router for reasons previously given. This works very well for us to connect to Netflix.

Just some ideas...

​​​​​
I have a Chromecast as well, but rarely use it. I dont even know how to connect it to Netflix. I have it as back up if I need to cast my screen. So I could be on the vpn to say Netflix etc and cast it to the TV.

But like you I like the PC to drive the TV via HDMI with a wireless mouse to drive it. Also I can connect an internet cable from the pc to the router if needed to maximise the signal when/if Priinet wifi 'stumbles'. As a result I have no interest in a ''smart"TV.

I also use a slingbox, which gives me everything I get at home on the set top box when away, with no geolocking problems, blocked vpn etc etc. I can watch on any device too, anywhere in the world.

Bottom line, many were worried when the satellites went down... But now I have considerably more TV than I ever imagined before!!

Jon