VPN and DNS

Old Sep 2nd 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough
Default VPN and DNS

Any recommendations for VPN and DNS for a priinet wifi network?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN and DNS

We use SmartProxyDNS, works well and isn’t too expensive either.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
We use SmartProxyDNS, works well and isn’t too expensive either.
With SmartDNS you get a VPN as well
Old Sep 4th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver
Hi

One more to add to your list: I took out a NordVPN deal this year. I was worried about it having an overhead that messed up Priinet service delivery - but it worked fine - especially through the World Cup when the loading should have been very high. Its the best Priinet service I have ever had, in a difficult+ busy time with a VPN 'in the way'. So it seems Priinet is running well (for me) and can cope with this.

I got a great 3 year deal at US$99 = 33 pa. Multiple devices allowed, MANY countries to connect to which I need and an online chat if there is a problem to get pretty much immediate help (I didn't have many problems).

Since then I have it permanently on and even on 4G it delivers.

Im not raving about it as I have nothing to compare it with, its my first VPN. But it does what I want and whats 'on the tin'

Jon
Old Sep 4th 2018, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jon

Where did you get that deal?
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a 14 day trial with Smartdns. They offer 12 months for 40 dollars or 24 months for 50 dollars. I’ve used them for 3 years
Setting up the DNS is awkward because a Prinet won’t give you the password to change the DNS on you router Myself and Uncle Buck have a second router plugged into the Prinet router Then you input the Smartdns settings on this
Old Sep 4th 2018, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

This is getting more complicated than anticipated. I have asked priinet for their solution. It must be in their interests to have one and gets around the DNS problem as they would still control it. I basically want to be able to access BBCiplayer and the other UK tv players by having a UK IP address. Is there a simpler solution to this? Does a proxy require access to DNS settings for example?
Old Sep 4th 2018, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

With a VPN you download it to each piece of equipment. If you google the difference between dns and Von it will give you a better idea how they work

My understanding is that is better for streaming
Smartdnsproxy have an informative video on YouTube but you’d probably find a link on their website
As I said in an earlier post you do get a VPN included in their price
Old Sep 4th 2018, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Uncle buck contacted Prinet and they couldn’t help but he uses this 2nd router idea at his workplace
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon

Where did you get that deal?
Hi its on their website. Or was when I got it.

I have to say this is getting more complicated than it should be. Extra routers etc.

I am not at all 'techie' but loading up my VPN and using it was/is easy for me. You can also load it onto a router somehow, but with multiple free connections Im not bothering. We go anywhere with VPN on our devices and have it always.

Jon
PS between us both we have Windows, Android and Apple/IOS. Again I am not ''selling' this, it just does what we want ...... easily. The $99 is spent and we have 3 years to forget about it & use it automatically

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 5th 2018 at 2:22 am.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 3:47 am
BE Positive

This is getting more complicated than anticipated. I have asked priinet for their solution. It must be in their interests to have one and gets around the DNS problem as they would still control it. I basically want to be able to access BBCiplayer and the other UK tv players by having a UK IP address. Is there a simpler solution to this? Does a proxy require access to DNS settings for example?
Hi . '.....the other UK tv players....'

Please can you tell me which ones they are?

Thanks
Jon
Old Sep 5th 2018, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Hi Jon,
Can get ITV Hub and All4 as well. We use ExpressVPN, which you can put on three devices so no need to put on router.

Derek
Old Sep 5th 2018, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute

Putting another router in isn’t the easiest solution but the benefits are rewarding. For instance I have an Internet TV which you can’t install a VPN on not can you configure the DNS settings. Installing another router in front of the Priinet router means you can configure the DNS on it and connect all your devices to the new router rather than set up every device. Also means that whoever connects to your internet (family guests, rentals etc) they can also benefit from the same on all their devices with having to set anything up on them.

Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2018, 8:23 am
BE Positive

Thanks Derek and Uncle Buck.

Derek I'll look at the other two TV providers. If you recall you helped me re BBC iplayer at a lunch - but I hadn't thought of any others, I'll check them out, thanks.

I looked at putting it on a router - but it looked complicated. For me that is. Of course putting it on the router means that you can then have unlimited connections - for e.g friends etc. without them having to put anything on their device.

But 'Jonny no-mates' rarely has guests, and when we do they can just connect VPN free.

But we prefer it on our devices as we travel a lot and we still have more connections included than we need. I think its 5 or 6 with our provider, so many I've forgotten! We just e.g got back from Bulgaria and stayed in some hotels and we were always on VPN via their networks. Same when moving between homes in ESP/BE for example.

For us its the least hassle solution + always with us, so we are in your camp, Derek and Margaret.... Good that there are options .. 'horses for .....'

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 5th 2018 at 8:27 am.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:06 am
Just Joined

pt1188 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve used VPN on Priinet for two years now, whenever we visit CE. I started by subscribing to VPN Unlimited to be able to watch iPlayer Sky Go and UK tv. It worked well until 6 months after I had started iPlayer was blocked, as was Sky Go. I then subscribed to Nord VPN with their 3 year subscription as they had lots more servers in the UK and again things worked very well until this last trip here when I found Sky Go to be blocked, with no resolution in sight when I contacted their customer service. I have found out now that VPN Unlimited works well with iPlayer again as they have a dedicated iPlayer server, which presumably stays ahead of the game by switching IP addresses regularly. Unfortunately Sky Go remains blocked.

So if you’re just looking to watch iPlayer and UK tv VPN Unlimited is a cheap option - I found a lifetime subscription deal on a website stacksocial.com for USD 35. Just don’t expect servers not to be blocked / unblocked along the way.

Hope that helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.