Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Old May 21st 2015, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Does anyone know of a good place for a vegan to eat in or around Ayamonte ? Several tapas bars have a few options but looking for other options thank you :-)
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:15 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Does anyone know of a good place for a vegan to eat in or around Ayamonte ? Several tapas bars have a few options but looking for other options thank you :-)
Hi CW. Funny by chance, we went to Antwerp Tuesday night to a veggie Indian resto, with our veggie friend. She is on the verge of going vegan... but has found in continental Europe that it is really difficult - even for veggie. Even in France where they had just returned from. They also travel a lot. So much so that she is delaying going 'full-vegan'. Even in a world-leading culinary-capital like Brussels you cant easily find this food/quality... hence the trip out. But we just discussed food for when they visit.

I doubt that you will find a vegan resto specifically though. So its a tapas/racion run Im afraid

Dishes like (sp) the Chick-pea combo's (garbanzos); Spinach (espinacas); Rices eg Tomato Rice (Arroz con tomate); Spuds (patatas bravas); Peppers (piementada); The soups (gazpacho, Salmonorejo- both delicious - but NO ham/eggs on the Salmonorejo). I guess its worth learning some words/phrases eg Soy vegano, una vegetariano estricto; Una tapa (salmonorejo sin huevos, sin jamón); sin carne por favor (SP I'm sure my bad Spanish will be corrected )

For a good selection I suppose the bigger tapas ones like Quitapenas, La Casona (great Piementada, soups) would give a selection. (I think there is an aubergine dish in Puerta Ancha) perhaps as part of a 'Spanish resto-crawl' . Also although its a bit of a 'get out' the salads at the Barcelo Hotel (and the Gazpacho) are great. They have a lunch/dinner all you can eat cold/hot buffet for 10 Euros, but goes up to 15 Euros in season. We'll go there and often max out on the salads as Spain and Portugal aren't so mad about veg an often-discussed topic on the forum. Barceló Isla Canela - Barceló Hotels & Resorts

Portugal is more tricky I think, even though we are there more often. But I am sure if you spoke in advance to the restos in say MF, Luis, Solar panel, the Campesino (old Luis) - they would take care of you. Then there are the curry restos in say Monte Gordo (of which this is easily our favourite Maharaja Patiala Tandoori Restaurant, Monte Gordo - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor A family resto that will understand your requirement - lovely kids, who shy at first - will come and say hello)

Not a huge choice though Vegetarian Restaurants Portugal - Healthy Food Stores by HappyCow
http://www.happycow.net/europe/spain/

Hopefully you will be able to find something other than 'chips with everything'.

Good luck

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 22nd 2015 at 6:42 am.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

irismary is an unknown quantity at this point

I would give a word of warning: even dishes that appear to be veggie-friendly may not be.
I don't like broad beans all that much, but I will happily order a tapas of 'habas' in my local bar. When I looked into it, I found that the beans are sauted in a stock with large chunks of pig fat.
Still tastes good to me!
Old May 24th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi CW. Funny by chance, we went to Antwerp Tuesday night to a veggie Indian resto, with our veggie friend. She is on the verge of going vegan... but has found in continental Europe that it is really difficult - even for veggie. Even in France where they had just returned from. They also travel a lot. So much so that she is delaying going 'full-vegan'. Even in a world-leading culinary-capital like Brussels you cant easily find this food/quality... hence the trip out. But we just discussed food for when they visit.

I doubt that you will find a vegan resto specifically though. So its a tapas/racion run Im afraid

Dishes like (sp) the Chick-pea combo's (garbanzos); Spinach (espinacas); Rices eg Tomato Rice (Arroz con tomate); Spuds (patatas bravas); Peppers (piementada); The soups (gazpacho, Salmonorejo- both delicious - but NO ham/eggs on the Salmonorejoj. I guess its worth learning some words/phrases eg Soy vegano, una vegetariano estricto; Una tapa (salmonorejo sin huevos, sin jamón); sin carne por favor (SP I'm sure my bad Spanish will be corrected )

For a good selection I suppose the bigger tapas ones like Quitapenas, La Casona (great Piementada, soups) would give a selection. (I think there is an aubergine dish in Puerta Ancha) perhaps as part of a 'Spanish resto-crawl' . Also although its a bit of a 'get out' the salads at the Barcelo Hotel (and the Gazpacho) are great. They have a lunch/dinner all you can eat cold/hot buffet for 10 Euros, but goes up to 15 Euros in season. We'll go there and often max out on the salads as Spain and Portugal aren't so mad about veg an often-discussed topic on the forum. Barceló Isla Canela - Barceló Hotels & Resorts

Portugal is more tricky I think, even though we are there more often. But I am sure if you spoke in advance to the restos in say MF, Luis, Solar panel, the Campesino (old Luis) - they would take care of you. Then there are the curry restos in say Monte Gordo (of which this is easily our favourite Maharaja Patiala Tandoori Restaurant, Monte Gordo - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor A family resto that will understand your requirement - lovely kids, who shy at first - will come and say hello)

Not a huge choice though Vegetarian Restaurants Portugal - Healthy Food Stores by HappyCow
Vegetarian Restaurants Spain - Healthy Food Stores by HappyCow

Hopefully you will be able to find something other than 'chips with everything'.

Good luck

Jon
Hi, re correcting your bad Spanish. So that you won't be disappointed I have to tell you that the soup is 'Salmorejo'
Old May 25th 2015, 8:54 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi, re correcting your bad Spanish. So that you won't be disappointed I have to tell you that the soup is 'Salmorejo'
oops .. you're right, I got it wrong! Its my favourite cold soup as well! Brain is failing fast. Next thing you'll tell me is that the distinctive colouring of the soup has nothing to do with all the 'salmon' in it

Maybe I should have gone to a better language school (I'm 'Gavin' on the left)

Jon
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

La Puerta Ancha has a selection of dishes suitable, so dinner is sorted :-) plus Carrefour had enough items to sort out breakfast if not having it in town
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
La Puerta Ancha has a selection of dishes suitable, so dinner is sorted :-) plus Carrefour had enough items to sort out breakfast if not having it in town
Fabio is a star. 5* to Puerto Ancha.

Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Cliodhna and Fabio are brilliant we had a great choice of vegan dishes. We had them all between us and enjoyed every tasty morsel. HMMMM
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

They go the extra mile. Well done to them.