British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Vegan food in Ayamonte area ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/vegan-food-ayamonte-area-858632/)

bxpuser24710519 May 21st 2015 9:23 pm

Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Does anyone know of a good place for a vegan to eat in or around Ayamonte ? Several tapas bars have a few options but looking for other options thank you :-)

Jon-Bxl May 22nd 2015 6:15 am

Re: Vegan food in Ayamonte area ?

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 11652868)
Does anyone know of a good place for a vegan to eat in or around Ayamonte ? Several tapas bars have a few options but looking for other options thank you :-)

Hi CW. Funny by chance, we went to Antwerp Tuesday night to a veggie Indian resto, with our veggie friend. She is on the verge of going vegan... but has found in continental Europe that it is really difficult - even for veggie. Even in France where they had just returned from. They also travel a lot. So much so that she is delaying going 'full-vegan'. Even in a world-leading culinary-capital like Brussels you cant easily find this food/quality... hence the trip out. But we just discussed food for when they visit.

I doubt that you will find a vegan resto specifically though. So its a tapas/racion run Im afraid

Dishes like (sp) the Chick-pea combo's (garbanzos); Spinach (espinacas); Rices eg Tomato Rice (Arroz con tomate); Spuds (patatas bravas); Peppers (piementada); The soups (gazpacho, Salmonorejo- both delicious - but NO ham/eggs on the Salmonorejo). I guess its worth learning some words/phrases eg Soy vegano, una vegetariano estricto; Una tapa (salmonorejo sin huevos, sin jamón); sin carne por favor (SP I'm sure my bad Spanish will be corrected :))

For a good selection I suppose the bigger tapas ones like Quitapenas, La Casona (great Piementada, soups) would give a selection. (I think there is an aubergine dish in Puerta Ancha) perhaps as part of a 'Spanish resto-crawl' :thumbup:. Also although its a bit of a 'get out' the salads at the Barcelo Hotel (and the Gazpacho) are great. They have a lunch/dinner all you can eat cold/hot buffet for 10 Euros, but goes up to 15 Euros in season. We'll go there and often max out on the salads as Spain and Portugal aren't so mad about veg an often-discussed topic on the forum. Barceló Isla Canela - Barceló Hotels & Resorts

Portugal is more tricky I think, even though we are there more often. But I am sure if you spoke in advance to the restos in say MF, Luis, Solar panel, the Campesino (old Luis) - they would take care of you. Then there are the curry restos in say Monte Gordo (of which this is easily our favourite Maharaja Patiala Tandoori Restaurant, Monte Gordo - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number &Photos - TripAdvisor= A family resto that will understand your requirement - lovely kids, who shy at first - will come and say hello)

Not a huge choice though Vegetarian Restaurants Portugal - Healthy Food Stores by HappyCow
http://www.happycow.net/europe/spain/

Hopefully you will be able to find something other than 'chips with everything'.

Good luck

Jon

irismary May 22nd 2015 8:20 pm

I would give a word of warning: even dishes that appear to be veggie-friendly may not be.
I don't like broad beans all that much, but I will happily order a tapas of 'habas' in my local bar. When I looked into it, I found that the beans are sauted in a stock with large chunks of pig fat.
Still tastes good to me!

MikeCol May 24th 2015 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 11653140)
Hi CW. Funny by chance, we went to Antwerp Tuesday night to a veggie Indian resto, with our veggie friend. She is on the verge of going vegan... but has found in continental Europe that it is really difficult - even for veggie. Even in France where they had just returned from. They also travel a lot. So much so that she is delaying going 'full-vegan'. Even in a world-leading culinary-capital like Brussels you cant easily find this food/quality... hence the trip out. But we just discussed food for when they visit.

I doubt that you will find a vegan resto specifically though. So its a tapas/racion run Im afraid

Dishes like (sp) the Chick-pea combo's (garbanzos); Spinach (espinacas); Rices eg Tomato Rice (Arroz con tomate); Spuds (patatas bravas); Peppers (piementada); The soups (gazpacho, Salmonorejo- both delicious - but NO ham/eggs on the Salmonorejoj. I guess its worth learning some words/phrases eg Soy vegano, una vegetariano estricto; Una tapa (salmonorejo sin huevos, sin jamón); sin carne por favor (SP I'm sure my bad Spanish will be corrected :))

For a good selection I suppose the bigger tapas ones like Quitapenas, La Casona (great Piementada, soups) would give a selection. (I think there is an aubergine dish in Puerta Ancha) perhaps as part of a 'Spanish resto-crawl' :thumbup:. Also although its a bit of a 'get out' the salads at the Barcelo Hotel (and the Gazpacho) are great. They have a lunch/dinner all you can eat cold/hot buffet for 10 Euros, but goes up to 15 Euros in season. We'll go there and often max out on the salads as Spain and Portugal aren't so mad about veg an often-discussed topic on the forum. Barceló Isla Canela - Barceló Hotels & Resorts

Portugal is more tricky I think, even though we are there more often. But I am sure if you spoke in advance to the restos in say MF, Luis, Solar panel, the Campesino (old Luis) - they would take care of you. Then there are the curry restos in say Monte Gordo (of which this is easily our favourite Maharaja Patiala Tandoori Restaurant, Monte Gordo - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number &Photos - TripAdvisor= A family resto that will understand your requirement - lovely kids, who shy at first - will come and say hello)

Not a huge choice though Vegetarian Restaurants Portugal - Healthy Food Stores by HappyCow
Vegetarian Restaurants Spain - Healthy Food Stores by HappyCow

Hopefully you will be able to find something other than 'chips with everything'.

Good luck

Jon

Hi, re correcting your bad Spanish. So that you won't be disappointed I have to tell you that the soup is 'Salmorejo' ;)

Jon-Bxl May 25th 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 11655220)
Hi, re correcting your bad Spanish. So that you won't be disappointed I have to tell you that the soup is 'Salmorejo' ;)

oops .. you're right, I got it wrong! Its my favourite cold soup as well! Brain is failing fast. Next thing you'll tell me is that the distinctive colouring of the soup has nothing to do with all the 'salmon' in it :)

Maybe I should have gone to a better language school (I'm 'Gavin' on the left)
;)

Jon

bxpuser24710519 Jun 1st 2015 6:46 am

La Puerta Ancha has a selection of dishes suitable, so dinner is sorted :-) plus Carrefour had enough items to sort out breakfast if not having it in town :)

EsuriJohn Jun 1st 2015 9:57 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 11662181)
La Puerta Ancha has a selection of dishes suitable, so dinner is sorted :-) plus Carrefour had enough items to sort out breakfast if not having it in town :)

Fabio is a star. 5* to Puerto Ancha.

:thumbsup:

bxpuser24710519 Jun 6th 2015 9:44 am

Cliodhna and Fabio are brilliant :thumbsup: we had a great choice of vegan dishes. We had them all between us :lol: and enjoyed every tasty morsel. HMMMM

Carol&John Jun 9th 2015 5:17 pm

:goodpost: They go the extra mile. Well done to them.