Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travel from Faro

Travel from Faro

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future
Default Travel from Faro

Hi all,

Because I'm arriving on an evening flight I'm going to hire a car to get me to C.E and keep it for a couple of days so I can stock up on supplies. I thought I'd then return it rather than have it parked up with little/no use. What is the best way to get back to C.E via public transport?. I've heard there is a Hoppa bus that goes to C.E/Ayamonte but their site doesn't recognise any of the hotels/resort that I'm putting in. Is the only option to go by bus/train/ferry or taxi?

Kim
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Travel from Faro

Hi Kim, I've just checked their site and you can select a few places in CE including the Golf Club, Residents Association address and a few others. Cost is £24.98. Try again and pick the closest or try your full address.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodzie
Hi all,

Because I'm arriving on an evening flight I'm going to hire a car to get me to C.E and keep it for a couple of days so I can stock up on supplies. I thought I'd then return it rather than have it parked up with little/no use. What is the best way to get back to C.E via public transport?. I've heard there is a Hoppa bus that goes to C.E/Ayamonte but their site doesn't recognise any of the hotels/resort that I'm putting in. Is the only option to go by bus/train/ferry or taxi?

Kim
You can get a train from Faro to VRSA and then the ferry across to Ayamonte and then if your timing is right you could catch the bus to CE or a taxi is around €11.

But, unless you have your own transport in CE, I'm a bit surprised that you wouldn't want a car when you're here. How will you visit any of the wonderful restos in the area - reviewed by JonBXL; how will you get to the beach to enjoy a sundowner at one of the Chirinquitos; how will you get back to the airport; etc etc? Unless you are paying an exorbitant price for your rental car it must be cheaper to hang on to it?
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Just what I was thinking. There are also some brilliant places to visit around and about, Seville, La Rabida, El Rocio & many more, all within easy driving distance. Bryony
Old Aug 24th 2018, 4:41 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Just what I was thinking. There are also some brilliant places to visit around and about, Seville, La Rabida, El Rocio & many more, all within easy driving distance. Bryony
I agree. Also Kim there is the 'hassle factor' of dumping the car early, getting back and then going out to the airport again. Sadly there isnt a great deal to do in CE, so we (for example) head out most days. A car gives so much more freedom to go where and when you want. In our case a lot of what we do is a 'whim' and we just jump in the car. Also when heading home its great to dump the car at the airport, and head out also without depending on another service to get you there, or a one-way taxi, which may be pricey.

There is also a cost consideration to this which obviously depends on how many days of rent-free savings you have vs the cost of the above i.e how long you are staying.

In our particular situation a car is a must have, even though we always stay for over 5 weeks, several times a year. This year we got low season rental for under 6€ a day and even in high season till late July less than 10€/day. All discussed on another thread.

However taxis into town & eg MF are cheap, especially if with friends... And even with a car, we spend on taxis, if we plan to have a drink or three. Theres also the bus which is cheap. On another thread I posted on some problems we had with the timetabling so make sure you are up to date on the times. Finally if you consider the GC prices, the taxi is often covered by the savings of eg eating + drinks in MF. On a price comparison (only) the shop will win though, and I know you enjoy an evening stroll there, after a days heavy needlework/sewing

I know the rental company you prefer and use a lot, but perhaps checking out the other rental options may also bring down the price and swing it?

Whatever - we know that you will have fun, and sorry that we will miss you this time
Jon

PS even though we rent for several months a year, buying a car isnt justified in our case financially and we prefer the arrive + pick up and when leaving (a tad more stressful) dump and go

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 24th 2018 at 4:50 am.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your replies and of course I get your points. When Nigel & I come together we do all of that. But because on this occasion I'm solo I won't be holidaymakering as such, my adventures will be exploring the alternative ways back from Faro and waiting for buses that don't turn up. (Living the life ) I can always hire a car in Ayamonte for a couple of days if I feel the need. Thanks all, and I'll check out that site again ElizabethAnn

Last edited by Woodzie; Aug 24th 2018 at 5:33 am.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

boneym is just really niceboneym is just really niceboneym is just really niceboneym is just really niceboneym is just really niceboneym is just really niceboneym is just really niceboneym is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I agree. Also Kim there is the 'hassle factor' of dumping the car early, getting back and then going out to the airport again. Sadly there isnt a great deal to do in CE, so we (for example) head out most days. A car gives so much more freedom to go where and when you want. In our case a lot of what we do is a 'whim' and we just jump in the car. Also when heading home its great to dump the car at the airport, and head out also without depending on another service to get you there, or a one-way taxi, which may be pricey.

There is also a cost consideration to this which obviously depends on how many days of rent-free savings you have vs the cost of the above i.e how long you are staying.

In our particular situation a car is a must have, even though we always stay for over 5 weeks, several times a year. This year we got low season rental for under 6€ a day and even in high season till late July less than 10€/day. All discussed on another thread.

However taxis into town & eg MF are cheap, especially if with friends... And even with a car, we spend on taxis, if we plan to have a drink or three. Theres also the bus which is cheap. On another thread I posted on some problems we had with the timetabling so make sure you are up to date on the times. Finally if you consider the GC prices, the taxi is often covered by the savings of eg eating + drinks in MF. On a price comparison (only) the shop will win though, and I know you enjoy an evening stroll there, after a days heavy needlework/sewing

I know the rental company you prefer and use a lot, but perhaps checking out the other rental options may also bring down the price and swing it?

Whatever - we know that you will have fun, and sorry that we will miss you this time
Jon

PS even though we rent for several months a year, buying a car isnt justified in our case financially and we prefer the arrive + pick up and when leaving (a tad more stressful) dump and go
Please would you share what car rental firm you use to get that price Jon? I can't find a thread on car hire.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

casey948 is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently only needed a car for the trip from the airport then a couple of days in Esuri so decided to hire a car from Europcar at the airport then returned it to their office in Monte Gordo thus saving the trip back to the airport to return the car. Just an idea.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 7:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casey948
We recently only needed a car for the trip from the airport then a couple of days in Esuri so decided to hire a car from Europcar at the airport then returned it to their office in Monte Gordo thus saving the trip back to the airport to return the car. Just an idea.
Hi sorry I misunderstood this, how did you get to the airport from M Gordo please? If you were staying a couple of days wouldn't it have been easier to not do a one way hire.. but leave the car at the airport and fly out?
Jon
Old Aug 27th 2018, 7:08 am
Just Joined

casey948 is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew into Faro a couple of days before other family members came to Esuri by car via Santander. Once they arrived we had no need of the hire car. They then dropped us back at the airport when we left and they continued their stay in Esuri.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

BobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by boneym
Please would you share what car rental firm you use to get that price Jon? I can't find a thread on car hire.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamonte-club-138/car-hire-890405/
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by casey948
We flew into Faro a couple of days before other family members came to Esuri by car via Santander. Once they arrived we had no need of the hire car. They then dropped us back at the airport when we left and they continued their stay in Esuri.

Aaah Ok now I understand, I didnt want to think I'd missed a trick!

Thanks
Jon
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:05 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by BobD
https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamonte-club-138/car-hire-890405/
Thanks Bob, I am useless at searching the forum, so this helps us both boneym and me! There was a more recent discussion, as well.... but I think that link would cover it.

Jon
Old Aug 28th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by boneym
Take a look at

Zest car hire, they are a broker based in the UK, but use most suppliers from Faro,
normally everything is included in the price, or you are told upfront of any possible
additional charges.

Border Crossing
Late/early pick up
child seats
Toll costs.

Ken.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Woodzie
Hi all,

Kim
Hi Kim,

Depending on who your flying with?, some airlines offer transfers to most places?,

Besides Hoppa- GreenBus- Yellow Fish.

Ken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.