Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TRAFFIC SPEED CAMERA ALERT -THE RULES.

TRAFFIC SPEED CAMERA ALERT -THE RULES.

Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry TRAFFIC SPEED CAMERA ALERT -THE RULES.

I have been driving into Seville blissfully unaware they have Gatso cameras 0.5 km before the end of the A49 approaching Seville. I remember the speed limit drops from 120 down to 80 Kmh and I (sort of) complied slowing down but not quite quickly enough it seems. !! I got a ticket in the post back in the UK today informing me that I was photographed at 85 Kmh. I think I'm a very laid back kind of guy and assumed I had complied with the law give or take a few percent. Beware - THERE IS NO LEEWAY- No10% +2 mph discrepancy as in UK. From 81 - 110 KMh its 100euro fine. From 111 to130 its a 300 euro fine. 131-140 is 400 euros. 141 - 150 kmh is 500 euros. To be fair, you would have to be a total lunatic to be doing 150 kmh in an 80 limit and deserve a large fine. All fines receive a 50% discount if paid within 20 days of the date of the notice. ( Not the date of the offence).
Converted to mph the limit was 50mph. I was fined at 53 mph. Therefore scan your speedo at all times !! You MUST be under the stated limit. However ALL the static cameras are listed on the dgt.es website with their exact locations.Seville has three, Huelva has a couple as well.
You have been warned !!
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:35 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRAFFIC SPEED CAMERA ALERT -THE RULES.

Hola
An up to date Sat-nav helps remind you of the "approaching" speed camera - but you do have to pay attention to the speed limit and not think near enough is sufficient

Davexf
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Beware - THERE IS NO LEEWAY- No10% +2 mph discrepancy as in UK.

Sorry, but you are completely wrong.

It is well established that Trafico have a well publicised margin of error.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 25th 2018 at 9:12 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jul 24th 2018, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

it's always the same 'old' story that everything is better in the UK...
Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Fred James, Their margin of error would seem rather low. Perhaps its 5 Kmh at 80k. I clearly exceeded their margin of error on fixed cameras. AND as to the same old story bitmannev, I don't think I implied that, I was merely trying to bring to the attention of others on this forum that there is very little tolerance on the fixed cameras. It was intended as an alert to others to avoid being fined for being just a few kph above the limit. It doesn't mean that I know longer enjoy the culture and life in Spain. Both countries have their problems. Thanks anyway.... Keith
Old Jul 25th 2018, 6:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is 8kph at 80. There is plenty of info if you Google Tolerancia 7. This is one example which shows all the figures.

Tolerancia 7, Nuevas medias para la gestión de la velocidad

It may change however as they are looking at lower tolerances as the equipment accuracy improves.

You also need to allow for the fact that all speedos are set to over-read, typically by about 5%, sometimes more.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 8:15 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Fred James, Their margin of error would seem rather low. Perhaps its 5 Kmh at 80k. I clearly exceeded their margin of error on fixed cameras. AND as to the same old story bitmannev, I don't think I implied that, I was merely trying to bring to the attention of others on this forum that there is very little tolerance on the fixed cameras. It was intended as an alert to others to avoid being fined for being just a few kph above the limit. It doesn't mean that I know longer enjoy the culture and life in Spain. Both countries have their problems. Thanks anyway.... Keith
Thanks Keith for alerting us.... This was a good 'public service' and I would want to be updated for these kinds of things. Im afraid Bitmanev got it wrong I saw no 'UK superiority' here at all. Perhaps non-UK sensitivity?

Note when going into VRSA from CM, immediately before the roundabout, about 20m before the railway barrier, is a speed limit sign, 50km/h. This is the speed limit for all of VRSA, except the 'coast road' to MG, where you can roll at 60.

Beware on turning left at the roundabout, going towards the river front with the train tracks on the right. It is 50 here too, even though the road looks deserted often. The cops hide behind an old car with the 'hairdryer'. My friend got a 120€ fine - her friend behind 300€ fine !!! I cant remember the speeds but I think the fastest was around 80.
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 25th 2018 at 8:18 am.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The margin is 7% , lower than UK ( 10% + 2 mph )