Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by portours
Hi. I have a car registered in Portugal but dont have a Portuguese bank account. Can anyone clarify how I pay for the tolls. Thanx
No I don't think that combination has been thought of and therefore you can't!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

portours is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the 125 then until I get a bank sorted. Thanx
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by portours
Looks like the 125 then until I get a bank sorted. Thanx
Aparently the worst part of the N125 is from Faro to Tavira. I'm going to try the N2 up to Alportel and then the EN270 across to Tavira, joining the N125 there. It looks about 30% longer but may be quicker. Anyone else tried this?
BTW what is the typical mid day time from Ayamonte to Faro airport now? Anybody any estimates/ real experiences?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

I'm actually going the other way to Alvor. Anyone any idea of time to/from the airport?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Aparently the worst part of the N125 is from Faro to Tavira. I'm going to try the N2 up to Alportel and then the EN270 across to Tavira, joining the N125 there. It looks about 30% longer but may be quicker. Anyone else tried this?
BTW what is the typical mid day time from Ayamonte to Faro airport now? Anybody any estimates/ real experiences?
Hi, we always use the EN125 to the airport and at this time of the year 1hr-1hr 10mins no longer. It will obviously be more during the height of Summer. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops to explore (unless of course you are in a hurry) along the way, many of which are missed when you use the motorway.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thats not bad at all. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

[QUOTE=MikeJ;9858116]Aparently the worst part of the N125 is from Faro to Tavira. I'm going to try the N2 up to Alportel and then the EN270 across to Tavira, joining the N125 there. It looks about 30% longer but may be quicker. Anyone else tried this?
QUOTE]

That will be the route I'll be using next. If it is too much hassle, I'll be switching to flights into Seville. That should help the Portuguese economy!

Steve
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

I drove to esuri this way on Thurs evening. No traffic but hardly went over 80 kph. I made an error and went into villa real. It took 1 hour 20. Min
Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

SteveP84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,

I'm new to forum, so first of wanted to say Hi to you all!

I've been struggling with answers so thought I'd ask people who live/holiday on Esuri or Ayamonte the same as me and my family.

We haven't been over to Esuri since the tolls on the A22 and I want to know if anyone has experience of them being in a hire car?

We fly to Faro and travel along the A22 to Esuri. I've heard sooo many conflicting stories about the tolls!

1. Do they have a toll camera if we are crossing the bridge to go into Castro Marim/Villareal? or are we fine to travel across the bridge without fear of passing the toll each time? (I'm a wildlife photographer and Casto Marim wetlands is where I live for 2 weeks lol)

2. How easy is it to get the electronic tag/ticket for a hire car? We wont arrive to 10:30pm!!!

3. What costs have people been experiencing travelling across the bridge from Ayamonte/CE to Villareal & Castro Marim?

Would really appreciate your help guys.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by SteveP84; Jan 28th 2012 at 11:32 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveP84
Hey everyone,

I've been struggling with answers so thought I'd ask people who live/holiday on Esuri or Ayamonte the same as me and my family.

We haven't been over to Esuri since the tolls on the A22 and I want to know if anyone has experience of them being in a hire car?

We fly to Faro and travel along the A22 to Esuri. I've heard sooo many conflicting stories about the tolls!

1. Do they have a toll camera if we are crossing the bridge to go into Castro Marim/Villareal? or are we fine to travel across the bridge without fear of passing the toll each time? (I'm a wildlife photographer and Casto Marim wetlands is where I live for 2 weeks lol)

2. How easy is it to get the electronic tag/ticket for a hire car? We wont arrive to 10:30pm!!!

3. What costs have people been experiencing travelling across the bridge from Ayamonte/CE to Villareal & Castro Marim?

Cheers

Steve
1 & 3 There is no toll on the bridge so you can travel across the eastern part of Portugal - ie VRSA etc - foc. The tolls don't start unil after the Altura/Monte Gordo junction. If you go further you pay. If you search this thread you will find maps and charge tables (look for John & Kaths posts mainly but there are many more)
2. Still waiting on a definitive answer from someone - it currently looks like it depends on which hire company you use - a proper system comes into force in July (). Unless the rental company have a sloution it looks like you won't be able to pre-pay at that time of night and you might consider using the N125 - shouldn't be too busy at that time. The ticket machines are currently only for foriegn registered vehicles - ie you can't buy a ticket for a Portuguese reg car - you either have to use the hire company's transponder or rent one for yourself at either a PTT office or the Via Verde office in Tavira - neither of which will be open at that time.
Have fun and let us know how you get on - everybody's stories add to the general knowledge.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

SteveP84:
BTW Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the interactions. We spend a good bit of time in CE so may bump into sometime.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by SteveP84
Hey everyone,

Cheers

Steve
1) There are no toll cameras at the bridge.

The first cameras are just before the exit at Tavira for cars travelling West from Spain into Portugal. These record any vehicle that has passed the Monte Gordo Jct and charge €2.30 for that length.

2) My guess would be that it would be impossible for you to get your "own" transponder at that time of day. To my certain Knowledge one hire company has fitted transponders to its cars. Again I do not think many have and the big boys seem to be slowest to move on this

3) Movement across the bridge and travel as far as the Monte Gordo turn is completely unchanged we do that most days and Castro Marim/Monte Frisco/VRStoA are just the same as before. I would say the move of the Pingo Doce tax head office to Holland has had more effect around here than the Tolls its very quiet in there now.

The Tolls can be a disaster for the whole coast from the Portuguese west coast to Punta Umbria unless they get their act together for both residents and visitors and they don't have long now.

It will not affect you except for your arrival and departure day and at that time of night the N125 will not take much longer than the motorway.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:38 am
UK and Tavira, Portugal

miacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John & Kath

The first cameras are just before the exit at Tavira for cars travelling West from Spain into Portugal. These record any vehicle that has passed the Monte Gordo Jct and charge €2.30 for that length.

2) My guess would be that it would be impossible for you to get your "own" transponder at that time of day. To my certain Knowledge one hire company has fitted transponders to its cars. Again I do not think many have and the big boys seem to be slowest to move on this

3) Movement across the bridge and travel as far as the Monte Gordo turn is completely unchanged we do that most days and Castro Marim/Monte Frisco/VRStoA are just the same as before. I would say the move of the Pingo Doce tax head office to Holland has had more effect around here than the Tolls its very quiet in there now.

The Tolls can be a disaster for the whole coast from the Portuguese west coast to Punta Umbria unless they get their act together for both residents and visitors and they don't have long now.

It will not affect you except for your arrival and departure day and at that time of night the N125 will not take much longer than the motorway.
Can I just double check? You are safe to join/exit from Junction 17 - the Monte Gordo/Manta Rota exit without being picked up by a camera or having to have a transponder? That if I remember correctly is the exit where the O Infante restaurant is? Sorry to be so unsure but it seems a nightmare to me.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by miacat
Can I just double check? You are safe to join/exit from Junction 17 - the Monte Gordo/Manta Rota exit without being picked up by a camera or having to have a transponder? That if I remember correctly is the exit where the O Infante restaurant is? Sorry to be so unsure but it seems a nightmare to me.
Correct - the part between Spain and this junction has no gantry and is foc. The first gantry is just before J18 (ie catches you for the stretch between J17 & J18)
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

SteveP84 is an unknown quantity at this point

1 & 3 There is no toll on the bridge so you can travel across the eastern part of Portugal - ie VRSA etc - foc. The tolls don't start unil after the Altura/Monte Gordo junction. If you go further you pay. If you search this thread you will find maps and charge tables (look for John & Kaths posts mainly but there are many more)
2. Still waiting on a definitive answer from someone - it currently looks like it depends on which hire company you use - a proper system comes into force in July (). Unless the rental company have a sloution it looks like you won't be able to pre-pay at that time of night and you might consider using the N125 - shouldn't be too busy at that time. The ticket machines are currently only for foriegn registered vehicles - ie you can't buy a ticket for a Portuguese reg car - you either have to use the hire company's transponder or rent one for yourself at either a PTT office or the Via Verde office in Tavira - neither of which will be open at that time.
Have fun and let us know how you get on - everybody's stories add to the general knowledge.
SteveP84:
BTW Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the interactions. We spend a good bit of time in CE so may bump into sometime.
Thanks Mike, that's a great help! I'm so glad I can cross the bridge without those blasted tolls!! I can't believe what a mess they have made of it all.
Oh great, well we are always in the club house and eat regularly at Jags. And if you don't see us there just look out for a camo dress Englishman with a camera

Originally Posted by John & Kath

Cheers guys, I did think that looking through the thread. So N125 it is when we arrive. We were planning to go to Cape St. Vincent but might re-think that if it's going to be a pain in the ass to sort out the toll!

Correct - the part between Spain and this junction has no gantry and is foc. The first gantry is just before J18 (ie catches you for the stretch between J17 & J18)
Thanks Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.