Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:17 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

I contacted Economy Car Hire asking what their procedures would be for their car hire partners at Faro with regard to the toll payments; in particular the last toll(s) charges registered just before the flight home, the response is below. I might also add that a few weeks ago I asked for like for like quotes from Lagorent, Zitauto and Masterkings and Lagorent were SO much dearer than the other two. Is this because they have the transponders ? I have not got round to checking if that is the reason. Anybody used Zit or M/Kings recently and know if they have transponders ? If they have not got them fitted on their vehicles stands to reason this is why there is such a price difference. I will get prices via ECH for Lagorent and Drive for Fun and see how they stack up.

EMAIL FROM ECH:-
As a UK based car hire broker, we are currently awaiting definitive instructions from the Portuguese authorities in relation to the operating of the A22 tolls.
If the toll road is used, customers are required to proceed to a local Portuguese Post Office in order to pay the applicable fee (48 hours after using the toll road). If customers cannot proceed to a Post Office (for example, if customers are on their way back to the airport), the local authorities will obtain drivers contact information by communicating with the local car hire supplier directly, the local car hire supplier with either pay the toll on your behalf and debit your payment card or alternatively the Portuguese authorities will contact the hirer directly via a notification which will be sent to the hirers home address.
Two of the eight car hire suppliers we work with from Faro airport, Lagorent and Drive 4 Fun, have introduced systems for their customers to allow toll fees to be paid for locally.
Lagorent, have purchased transponders for their hire vehicles. Therefore, any toll fees incurred will be charged directly to the hirers credit card, plus an administrative fee of 5 Euro.
Drive 4 Fun, have introduced a ‘Responsibility Statement’ which is signed upon arrival by the hirer on collection of their vehicle, confirming their intention to use the A22 toll road. This will provide the supplier with authorisation to debit any toll fees incurred from the hirers credit card, plus any administrative fees if applicable.
Please note, should the hirers credit card decline the payment, a notification will be sent to your home address requesting for the toll to be paid along with an administrative fee of 4 Euro to cover postage expenses.
If you would like us to send you a quotation showing the vehicles available through Lagorent and Drive 4 Fun, please advise us accordingly and we will be happy to assist you.

Jon, like your posting (previous page) better !

Last edited by MEL & JOHN; Mar 5th 2012 at 12:19 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 10th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Bad news on the legality. The EU Transport Commissoner is now saying the tolls are "entirely" legal.

http://algarvedailynews.com/news/597...uling-on-tolls
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

How do you say "Join the queue" in Portuguese?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I was recently in Portugal and on the approach to the bridge to lisbon I found myself confused by the signage, because there was no 'little orange man with his hand out' sign, we ended up in the wrong lane. Once there we couldn't get back out. and ended up triggering an alarm in the wrong lane but couldn't see what to do next. The cars behind were honking at us so eventually we just pulled off. On the way back (where there was a little man) we asked what we should do about it. His reply was that you should know the driving rules in any given country. Well we do, and we understand (mostly) the traffic signs, These were totally confusing...To me they aren't 'rules of the road' per se.
Anyway, We're now waiting for the letter to get to us. If indeed it does as we've moved recently. But I'm still a bit peeved. I want to follow the rules. But if the rules are so inscrutable how can they really be legal?
Anyway. Does anyone know what our overcharge will be. And what will happen if the letter doesn't reach us?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Angiescarr, why not try contacting the estradas.pt information page for the toll road you used? See link below.

My question now re:A22 toll road is this:

Do you have to exit at Castro Marim/Vila Real de Santo Antonio, instead of the Monte Gordo/Altura exit as before, in order NOT to pay a toll? Is there a new gantry at Altura?

During our visit last week, we decided not to use the A22. We noticed the sign (new?) just after the bridge, heading West, "toll beginning 2000m" (in Portuguese). The exit for Castro Marim/VRSA is @1000m from the bridge, and we guessed the next exit (Altura) was at least another 1000m.

Looking at the map, it would appear the exit to get off the A22 toll road heading West would be at Castro Marim.

http://www.estradas.pt/documents/101...a-87c800f582f9
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,

Angiescarr, why not try contacting the estradas.pt information page for the toll road you used? See link below.

Do you have to exit at Castro Marim/Vila Real de Santo Antonio, instead of the Monte Gordo/Altura exit as before, in order NOT to pay a toll? Is there a new gantry at Altura?

During our visit last week, we decided not to use the A22. We noticed the sign (new?) just after the bridge, heading West, "toll beginning 2000m" (in Portuguese). The exit for Castro Marim/VRSA is @1000m from the bridge, and we guessed the next exit (Altura) was at least another 1000m.

Looking at the map, it would appear the exit to get off the A22 toll road heading West would be at Castro Marim.

Read the first line. Road to Lisbon
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

I did, guesswork, and angiescarr may contact the "chat call" online of the estradas.pt site, or contact the number specific to the Lisbon toll road they were on, here:
http://www.estradas.pt/portagens-historico-passagem

I suppose I could do the same, but thought it would be easier to ask my specific question as this is the thread for the A22.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

SteveP84 is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be coming over to CE for two weeks at the end of this month.

Our flight lands at 9:30 so probably get on the road around 10:40. What is the N125 like at night? quiet?

I'm hating the thought of driving all the way along the N125 at night but looks like it's going to have to be done.

I probably shouldn't say this but has anyone hired a car and used the A22 and just not paid?

Also how much would it cost to go from Faro to CE on the A22?

Cheers guys,

Steve.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Steve,

Here's the toll charge list posted (#167) by John&Kath earlier on in this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=167

By comparing the two maps, it appears the A22 road between exits 17 and 18 is no longer FREE. Am I reading this map incorrectly?

What is the N125 like at night? quiet?
Yes, in our experiences (February and Easter), but in the early hours of the morning. Anticipate the many speed calming traffic lights as you enter each village/town. The journey takes about 75 mins from CE to Faro airport. Factor in more time.

Here's a thought. With the price of gas going up, less cars on the roads. A few more cyclists, however.

I probably shouldn't say this but has anyone hired a car and used the A22 and just not paid?
Obviously yes, as some people have discovered when they went to pay and the toll charge included the previous driver's journeys. Yet there must be a cut off point in charging the toll - is it after 5 days?

How long can the overcharging be allowed to happen? Has anyone complained to estradas.pt? The car hire companies, CTT and PayShop groups shrug their shoulders. It is not their argument. "Take it up with the Portuguese government."
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

irlanda is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been over a number of times this year , and do not fancy using the 125route------.like many others I have no objection to the tolling of the A22 -----provided there is a simple method of payment.
on recent visits, and hiring a car at Faro and [making various trips back and forth to the airport] on my return, I have paid at the Correo[post office] desk at arrivals in Faro airport, each trip to Spain and back is Eur5.31 each way and I paid with credit card.

the problem being ---that as journey does not register on system for 2 days ----it is not possible to pay for the final journey to the airport.
I arranged for another family member to pay on their next trip or friends who may be in VRSA.
I realise this is not ideal :but may be of assistance
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

We went over in February and gave the car hire company a mandate to debit our credit card when they receive bill for period we hired the car.
Whe nasked how long till we see the amount on the cardthey said they have not been chrged for fees from Dcember last year yet.Up to this moment still not seen any charge on card.
As an update my wife flew over to CE yesterday and the company has still not been charged for tols from last December. A complete mess. The car hire people said wait until summer then proverbial will really hit the fan.
Whilst standing there she overheard another company say to their customer to go to Post office after 48 hours and pay toll then, as takes that time to register in system..
The customer said what about the return to airport??
Company basically said thats their problem.
If you want to kill tourism in the Algarve,can anyone think of a better way?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some light relief. Not a toll road in sight, but plenty of tools!
Soudes, Portugal (Note spelling error on other photo in Ayamonte Photo thread.)
Attached Thumbnails Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro-100_1663.jpg  
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,

No Carol that sign is for the toll payment booth in 2000m ie the bus shelter. Had me confused too!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveP84
We'll be coming over to CE for two weeks at the end of this month.

Our flight lands at 9:30 so probably get on the road around 10:40. What is the N125 like at night? quiet?

I'm hating the thought of driving all the way along the N125 at night but looks like it's going to have to be done.

Also how much would it cost to go from Faro to CE on the A22?

Cheers guys,

Steve.
Dead from Tavira east quiet from Faro.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

casey948 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just got back from CE. We had a hire car from Faro and as we got in late at night decided to use the A22. No problems with paying the toll at the VSRA post office, quite painless really. Problem came with the return journey as we travelled back on Easter Monday so no chance of paying the toll at the airport. When I asked the hire company about paying the return toll she just said they would write to my UK address......so I wait!
On a more positive point the Algarve Daily News ( http://algarvedailynews.com/ ) is reporting that the hire companies have reached some kind of agreement with the government which should be in place by the end of April with all hire companies fitting transponders and contracting with the hirer, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.