Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Squatters" in CE

"Squatters" in CE

Old Apr 21st 2021, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Squatters" in CE

Re Squatters.
I have no association with this company but they were featured on the local Canal sur tv chan tonight after reclaiming some owners house.today.
https://www.exitokupas.com/servicios

They are based in Malaga but will no doubt travel further afield for the right price, maybe worth a call if anyone is unfortunate enough to need them.
They work by mediating with the squatters and getting them out voluntary (The lads shown on the news piece were all VERY large by the way)
When asked by the reporter how much their service costs the answer was "on average, around 500 euros".

Last edited by big wheels; Apr 21st 2021 at 10:25 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by missile
How long you owned it and where would you rather be?
We bought it in 2015

In Morbihan closer to my family and also just 1 days driving from the UK
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

For those with unoccupied flats/houses on CE worried about squatters or burglars may I suggest a simple far cheaper and more effective solution than bars, security doors or alarms:

One outdoor IP camera very strategically placed indoors and correctly configured.

For reasons I won't bore you with the best option is a decent 4G version with an internal battery that offers some free cloud storage. If you keep your electric turned off whilst away versions with an independent solar panel are available and are easy to self install.

Cost: less than £ 100 plus a sim with 10 euro credit.

Main Advantage : You will be aware within minutes if not seconds should your property be broken into and will get a very fast police response time following this :

When triggered and you see it is not a false alarm you, or some you know who speaks Spanish, simply phone the police and tell them there is a burglary in progress at xyz. Don't mention squatters ! ( As 62 and 112 won't work if you are abroad use + 34 959 32 10 01 ).

Happy to advise or go into more detail in general terms here if required. For specific questions PM me.

Best
Loco

​​​​

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 23rd 2021 at 8:39 pm. Reason: requests for money for information is not allowed even if being directed to a charity
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

I pointed out I have recommended all sorts of IT, Sat, IP and security systems around here for years and never charged a cent.

As for the 48 horas I suggested they Google "La diferencia entre allanamiento de morada y usurpación" and read the legal foros as it shows there is no 48 horas law in statute, why the associations site is misleading and why
my post above suggested to report it to the police as a burglary in progress and not to mention squatters.

Lol trust me I know !

Best
Loco

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 24th 2021 at 6:15 am. Reason: Rule 15
Old Apr 24th 2021, 6:22 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco

I pointed out I have recommended all sorts of IT, Sat, IP and security systems around here for years and never charged a cent.

As for the 48 horas I suggested they Google "La diferencia entre allanamiento de morada y usurpación" and read the legal foros as it shows there is no 48 horas law in statute, why the associations site is misleading and why
my post above suggested to report it to the police as a burglary in progress and not to mention squatters.

Lol trust me I know !

Best
Loco
Gosh it sounds like there was some 'argy-bargy' behind the scenes.

My view is that Loco has been on this forum for many years and is often really well informed and helps out with timely information on many areas. Like in this case.

Also the CERA management are volunteers who work daily to help out residents in 2 languages. Hats off to them - I don't think I could, for example, handle the town hall, EUC etc etc (without antidepressants, or alcohol..... To forget . Hari Kiri being the less favourable option. )

I've wondered previously if a 4G system existed .... But it seems like there are products commercially available. So Ill be PMing for info.

Jon

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 24th 2021 at 7:13 am. Reason: part of quote removed
Old Apr 24th 2021, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

For those with unoccupied flats/houses on CE worried about squatters or burglars may I suggest a simple far cheaper and more effective solution than bars, security doors or alarms:

One outdoor IP camera very strategically placed indoors and correctly configured.

​​​​
Hi Loco I believe your idea is good.

However I was informed many years ago that it is illegal to film anyone who is outside the boundaries of your property.
Therefore the view covered by your camera requires careful setup

Old Apr 24th 2021, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

yep indoors pointing to the front door if that the only way in; open the door smile your on camera
Old Apr 24th 2021, 11:45 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

However I was informed many years ago that it is illegal to film anyone who is outside the boundaries of your property.
Aaah yes, thanks Fred.

I completely forgot a previous discussion on the forum re privacy rules and the use of personal CCTV ... It appears much stricter in Spain.

Its not like the US cop movies where they ask neighbours for a copy of their CCTV to catch the bad guys.

But its a question of proper adjustment of the camera.... As you suggested.

Thanks
Jon
Old Apr 24th 2021, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whoops I should have been clearer I meant an outdoor camera but mounted inside and pointing inside. The key is where to place it in the house and where to point it at.
​​​​Best
Loco

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 24th 2021 at 4:30 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 24th 2021, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for your kind words.

My second post doesn't make much sense as it seems to have been topped and tailed by me by mistake. Probably just as well as I was angry as I had just been been messaged accusing me of scaremongering and hinting that my motivation in suggesting people could message me was so I could sell them a system.

Lol I only posted a possible solution because whilst all of the horror stories on this thread can and do happen and most of the posted solutions just won't work quickly , probably will cost a fortune and at worse can lead to the owners being prosecuted if you phone reporting a crime in progress like robbery my experience is the GC do attend PDQ and are pretty damn good . Phoning after the event is the problem......

Best
Loco
​​​​

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Gosh it sounds like there was some 'argy-bargy' behind the scenes.

My view is that Loco has been on this forum for many years and is often really well informed and helps out with timely information on many areas. Like in this case.

Also the CERA management are volunteers who work daily to help out residents in 2 languages. Hats off to them - I don't think I could, for example, handle the town hall, EUC etc etc (without antidepressants, or alcohol..... To forget . Hari Kiri being the less favourable option. )

I've wondered previously if a 4G system existed .... But it seems like there are products commercially available. So Ill be PMing for info.

Jon
Old Apr 25th 2021, 9:37 am
BE Positive

Whoops I should have been clearer I meant an outdoor camera but mounted inside and pointing inside. The key is where to place it in the house and where to point it at.
​​​​Best
Loco
I dont see why one would need an outdoor camera inside I'm obviously missing the point, sorry. Id also like to understand the ideal internal positioning ideas.

On the exterior, the privacy set up will be based on the configuration of the home + neighbours and will determine positioning (I suppose)

I would have thought they are more expensive (as they have additional weather resistance), also if using solar power, as above, you would need a removable solar panel and make a hole for the cable, I suppose.

I think an outside camera also has a deterrent effect. Though easily disabled with eg an airgun.

Does anyone know if a disabled camera, can still send an alert please?

Thanks
Jon
Old Apr 25th 2021, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I think an outside camera also has a deterrent effect.
I believe an outdoor camera is OK so long as it's field of view is limited to your own property i.e. garden or maybe facing towards your house.

However the camera's security becomes problem

Shortly after selling my last property in Spain the new owners were robbed and beaten up.
Shortly afterwards they installed two large very obvious cameras.
The police were soon in attendance requiring them to remove one that covered the street, but the other covering the garden was accepted.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I dont see why one would need an outdoor camera inside I'm obviously missing the point, sorry. Id also like to understand the ideal internal positioning ideas.

On the exterior, the privacy set up will be based on the configuration of the home + neighbours and will determine positioning (I suppose)

I would have thought they are more expensive (as they have additional weather resistance), also if using solar power, as above, you would need a removable solar panel and make a hole for the cable, I suppose.

I think an outside camera also has a deterrent effect. Though easily disabled with eg an airgun.

Does anyone know if a disabled camera, can still send an alert please?

Thanks
Jon
The main reason for using a solar IP outdoor camera inside is that they normally have back up batteries. Even if the external solar panel is cut or the mains is cut they remain working for some days. They are, in my experience, also better specified and of better build quality.

The main reasoning for having the camera inside is that it can do its work before being spotted and being disabled. ( My experience is around here sticks, black plastic and wire clippers are the preferred methods used to disable..... I know of two instances a faraday cage was used..... Once on my property !

Haven't heard of an airgun being used for many many years ....... These days the lenses are just too small.

Will a disabled camera still send an alert ?...... If an IP camera in most cases yes regardless of the method used to disable.

Best
Loco
​​​​​​
Old Apr 28th 2021, 8:31 pm
BE Positive

The main reason for using a solar IP outdoor camera inside is that they normally have back up batteries. Even if the external solar panel is cut or the mains is cut they remain working for some days. They are, in my experience, also better specified and of better build quality.

The main reasoning for having the camera inside is that it can do its work before being spotted and being disabled. ( My experience is around here sticks, black plastic and wire clippers are the preferred methods used to disable..... I know of two instances a faraday cage was used..... Once on my property !

Haven't heard of an airgun being used for many many years ....... These days the lenses are just too small.

Will a disabled camera still send an alert ?...... If an IP camera in most cases yes regardless of the method used to disable.

Best
Loco
​​​​​​
That's really interesting, thanks for the time to answer my questions.

Im amazed that they used a Faraday cage! Whilst they are the bad guys, darn it.... its pretty clever!

I sent you a PM for more product info, when you have a second Ill research it further.

Thanks again
Jon
​​​​​
Old Apr 29th 2021, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

One thing the "squatters" used to look for were the huge satellite dishes that were - are required for Brits watching their TV from the island. An easy spot. Although this is getting harder as some are going online to watch.

There are also other ways they use to determine if the apartment - house are occupied - the mailbox overflowing, unkempt garden , clear tape on the gate-door..etc..

One thing I read somewhere above is about putting a lock box or such over the panel for the electricity - that is forbidden. In an ideal world, the fuse-breaker box should be located as near to the main entrance-exit as possible and be available to the first responders if required. I do not know if they do them here but in France there is the LINKY box, it is an electronic meter reader installed and fitted by the electricity provider; these are not as easy to fool into releasing their electricity supply as the old style where it was just breaking the seal and installing a fuse.

Good luck to all the 2nd homeowners as I think Spain is in for at least another year of economic hardship ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.