Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish lessons

Spanish lessons

Old Jul 19th 2018, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spanish lessons

Originally Posted by Luz liver
Hi Sue & Barry

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you have to be realistic in your expectations.

This is my experience. I bought a holiday home on Isla Canela 18 years ago. For the next four years my ex and I tried various methods of learning Spanish; classes, 1 on 1, cd's in the car/at home. We found that without the ability to practice every day it didn't stick. We got to a level that I think of as "menu Spanish" you can say hello, nice weather, how are you? (and order from the menu) but that's about it. It was only when we moved full time to Spain that we made real progress. We started with a two week intensive course (a class of three people). Then two years of twice a week one hour lessons (class of 2 people) and practicing with anyone and everyone. These classes consisted of speaking, reading and writing Spanish. I would say that after two years I had an intermediate level of Spanish. I could converse, run a business, deal with the taxman, the town hall, etc. But I know my limitations, I keep to the present tense where possible, I avoid complex discussions about politics and religion, sport is fine.

I encourage everyone to improve their Spanish and feel especially sorry for those people who have been here years and still aren't even at the "menu" level (and there are plenty).

Don't be put off by my experiences, do be realistic about what you can achieve (in say the six weeks of your next visit). My advice: find a native Spanish speaker, someone who will still be here for your next visit (so knows what you have been taught that may need refreshing but not starting over). Concentrate on conversational Spanish.

I may get criticised for these comments but I know too many people who have started to learn Spanish with the best of intentions only to throw in the towel when they realise it's difficult. Be realistic, think small steps, keep at it and very best of luck!

PS. learn Castillano not Ayamontino.
many thanks, Luzlover. Sounds like sensible advice. We are in Our late 60’s and find it very difficult to absorb anything we try to learn. Will keep on plodding on.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
Constructive criticism if I may - I started leaning Spanish aged 56; if you are younger then normally it is easier - more difficult if you are older, and the older you are the slower the absorption rate - my sponge of youth is now the concrete of old age. So if you retired here then expect it to take longer - just keep plodding on.

Davexf
Hi Davex. Thank you. As stated above, we are in our late 60s and find it very frustrating not being able to remember even the basics, after several years trying to learn, with one to one tuition, cd’s, videos etc. We have spent a fortune but not got very far. Will keep on keeping on!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:25 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry

Hi Davex. Thank you. As stated above, we are in our late 60s and find it very frustrating not being able to remember even the basics, after several years trying to learn, with one to one tuition, cd’s, videos etc. We have spent a fortune but not got very far. Will keep on keeping on!
Hola

My house is currently full of post-it notes with the Spanish word for the article (Espejo on the mirror etc.) - all for my 14 year old Grandson who comes tomorrow - he is taking Spanish GCE's and knowing the everyday words helps - my Spanish cleaning lady was in awe !!!

Davexf
Old Jul 20th 2018, 8:55 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
Constructive criticism if I may - I started leaning Spanish aged 56; if you are younger then normally it is easier - more difficult if you are older, and the older you are the slower the absorption rate - my sponge of youth is now the concrete of old age. So if you retired here then expect it to take longer - just keep plodding on.

Davexf
Great quote thanks Dave " my sponge of youth is now the concrete of old age"

I have to agree re your points. I learned a second language when I was in my mid 40's. I had moved to Belgium permanently so I felt I had to try and get to a reasonable level in one of the official languages. I have a good level, but ONLY as I live (when not in CE) in a French speaking country and so have to use it. I also spent months of tuition and lots of money to get there, but the thing that made the difference was my BH with whom I speak it daily. We only speak French together so the language is 'kept alive' through constant use. But even after 15 years I am not fluent, something that bugs me often.

We did the 2 week Spanish course at the Escuela Altenea I mentioned to Kim. It was the 2 of us and Gero, one of their tutors who speaks French - so he could explain things to us both. We both have brains not really suited to language learning - but felt that we had made good progress. And each day we would practice with Thomas for our coffee break, when he worked in Laguna. Also of course in general daily discourse in Spain

Of course we got home we had no Spanish stimulus - and so its all lost, sadly. We have the good chance to live in Brussels where there is a large Spanish community, and classes etc. But we didn't do that. So IMO language learning needs commitment as well as constant practice... and of course gets harder with age.

We have a close friend in his 50's who has a 'head for languages' - he amazes us at how fast he is picking up Dutch, another official language of Belgium. He is one of those people that seem to have a knack or ability - that lesser mortals like me dream of. His brain is configured with lots of 'RAM' as he is fluent in English, French and German - and has room for more.

Good luck to all who are planning to learn another language - the advantages are huge

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 20th 2018 at 8:59 am.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

some tips;
start in your home; put yellow stickies on everything in your house with the Spanish name on it
force your self to speak Spanish with your partner etc
watch Spanish TV or go to the cinema and watch movies you know so you know more of less what's spoken
remember if you don't try to speak you will never learn and you know when your there if you do start thinking in that language (i speak 6 languages)

this made me speaking and writing Italian after 3 months when i was living / working in Torino for 13 months but never been in Italia before
the hotel where is was 'living' in the evening / night the night porter who spoke a bit of english taught me Italian as the office workers i was working with during the day
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Plenty of useful tips. Thanks everyone. I’m sure somebody posted a suggestion that they would be willing to set up a Spanish language class for those of us that were interested, but I can’t find that post now. Can anyone find it please?

Thank you
Sue and Barry
Old Aug 11th 2018, 7:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of useful tips. Thanks everyone. I’m sure somebody posted a suggestion that they would be willing to set up a Spanish language class for those of us that were interested, but I can’t find that post now. Can anyone find it please?

Thank you
Sue and Barry
You will not find that post due to the fact that it was advertising which is against the rules.

Rosemary
Old Aug 12th 2018, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You will not find that post due to the fact that it was advertising which is against the rules.

Rosemary
Thank you. That explains it!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 3:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. That explains it!
It was a shame really because his heart was in the right place but the fact that he would have needed to charge a small fee to cover his time and the cost of the classroom meant that it broke the advertising rule. Maybe he will give it more thought and put something about it in his signature or advertise locally.

Rosemary
Old Aug 12th 2018, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

As a professional in the field of language teaching let me say this - One-to-one lessons are definitely the best way to go. Forget group lessons or conversation lessons. Get a professional teacher and a good textbook and take it from there. Of course it is more expensive than being in a class.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:31 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

It was a shame really because his heart was in the right place but the fact that he would have needed to charge a small fee to cover his time and the cost of the classroom meant that it broke the advertising rule. Maybe he will give it more thought and put something about it in his signature or advertise locally.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary.

I didn't see this as advertising actually as lessons cost far more. And I thought he was just covering costs. However 'rules are rules', if he was only covering costs, not taking a fee - would that have been ok to post? Its only fair, I think, to share costs and IMO isn't advertising, but you know best.
Jon
Old Aug 13th 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Rosemary.

I didn't see this as advertising actually as lessons cost far more. And I thought he was just covering costs. However 'rules are rules', if he was only covering costs, not taking a fee - would that have been ok to post? Its only fair, I think, to share costs and IMO isn't advertising, but you know best.
Jon
Initially he appeared to be looking to see if there would be any interest so a Supermod asked if there would be a charge to which he replied that he would need to recoup the cost of the room and make a small fee for his time and this is when the Supermod had to remove his post. Both the Supermod and myself have been in contact with him to encourage him to continue with his idea and put it in his signature so I am hoping that he will do this at some point. Regarding the rule it is my understanding is that if any money is to change hands then it constitutes advertising.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 13th 2018 at 10:12 am.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Positive

Initially he appeared to be looking to see if there would be any interest so a Supermod asked if there would be a charge to which he replied that he would need to recoup the cost of the room and make a small fee for his time and this is when the Supermod had to remove his post. Both the Supermod and myself have been in contact with him to encourage him to continue with his idea and put it in his signature so I am hoping that he will do this at some point. Regarding the rue it is my understanding is that if any money is to change hands then it constitutes advertising.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary for the explanation. I understand that there are rules to follow. Also that the 'supermod' with the x-ray vision saw that there was a fee involved Though it was only a couple of euros, the rule still applies. Its good to hear that you've been in touch, as you know, this was intended as a kind offer of help.

However if 'any' money is changing hands - but its only to cover costs I think we can make an exception. E.G I arrange via BE to go to a concert in Seville and buy the tickets and ask to get paid back the cost and then share the cost of a minibus hire... but nothing extra for myself, then I think it is OK.

I'm hoping that had the supermod found out that there was no fee, just sharing the costs, then he would have allowed the post.

Thanks

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 13th 2018 at 10:30 am.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jon. I completely agree with your comments, and hope that a suitable arrangement/compromise may be possible. Sue
Old Aug 13th 2018, 2:27 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
As a professional in the field of language teaching let me say this - One-to-one lessons are definitely the best way to go. Forget group lessons or conversation lessons. Get a professional teacher and a good textbook and take it from there. Of course it is more expensive than being in a class.
Hola

I disagree about being more expensive; you can hide in a class and not learn much at all - it can be a complete waste of money. Conversation classes can help reinforce what you have learnt and give you confidence. You cannot hide in a one on one / face to face class and so long as you can understand you will have difficulties along the way - then it is the best and cheapest method of learning -but you have to want to learn, not "play at learning".

I had seven years of one on one grammar lessons and don't regret it one bit. Yes there were times when I just could not grasp the simplest of things, but we moved on returning later - perhaps at the end of the chapter, or the end of the next chapter. Eventually I would be able to grasp the context to the satisfaction of my profesora.

davexf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.