Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish lessons

Spanish lessons

Old May 25th 2017, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough
Default Spanish lessons

I know we should have done something about this sooner, but we need to get a kick start learning Spanish conversation. We will be going back to the UK soon, as our holiday is coming to an end, but returning to CE at the beginning of August for about 6 weeks. Is there anyone out there who is, or knows of somebody, who would be prepared to visit our villa for a couple of hours, several times a week, to help us pick up the language on a one to one (two!) basis. Obviously, we will pay for this help. We are no spring chickens, so would need somebody with a lot of patience, as it takes us a little longer for the information to sink in these days! We would be grateful for any contacts/leads/estimate of cost etc. Many thanks, Sue and Barry
Old May 26th 2017, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish lessons

You could talk to Jero at the school in Ayamonte, he is a nice guy and I went for classes there. Some friends still do.

He might not be able to do classes at your place but I know he does a lot of lessons on Skype
https://www.escuelaatenea.com/en/spa...hool-ayamonte/
Old May 26th 2017, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by guesswork
You could talk to Jero at the school in Ayamonte, he is a nice guy and I went for classes there. Some friends still do.

He might not be able to do classes at your place but I know he does a lot of lessons on Skype
https://www.escuelaatenea.com/en/spa...hool-ayamonte/
Many thanks, Guesswork, definitely worth following up.

Sue
Old May 26th 2017, 3:35 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Just to say I took lessons, one on one, face to face, just me and the Spanish profesora; full on formal grammar lessons, twice a week, about an hour a lesson. Further I had an intercambio where I helped a teenager with their English for half an hour, and their mother helped me with my Spanish for half an hour, and on top of that, I went to an intercambio class that was similar where we spoke / listened for half the time in each language but in a ten plus round the table group.

I did this for seven years; the "old grey matter" (realistically old concrete) was certainly not the sponge of youth. I reckoned to spend about 1,000€ a year on the formal lessons.

I set myself a target to achieve in "fluency"; the target was simply to be able to read the local newspaper and make sense of it, and to be able to drive round Spain, staying in hotels and the like without language problems.

Davexf
Old May 26th 2017, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Reptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really nice

Hi Sue and Barry,

Have sent you a PM - we also need to do more for our Spanish!

Jonathan
Old May 26th 2017, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Just to say I took lessons, one on one, face to face, just me and the Spanish profesora; full on formal grammar lessons, twice a week, about an hour a lesson. Further I had an intercambio where I helped a teenager with their English for half an hour, and their mother helped me with my Spanish for half an hour, and on top of that, I went to an intercambio class that was similar where we spoke / listened for half the time in each language but in a ten plus round the table group.

I did this for seven years; the "old grey matter" (realistically old concrete) was certainly not the sponge of youth. I reckoned to spend about 1,000€ a year on the formal lessons.

I set myself a target to achieve in "fluency"; the target was simply to be able to read the local newspaper and make sense of it, and to be able to drive round Spain, staying in hotels and the like without language problems.

Davexf
Thanks for the info, Davexf. We are very impressed with your efforts. I only hope we can be half as dedicated.

Many thanks again.
Sue and Barry
Old May 26th 2017, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Reptonian
Hi Sue and Barry,

Have sent you a PM - we also need to do more for our Spanish!

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan. Will take a look.

Sue
Old May 30th 2017, 9:43 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry
I know we should have done something about this sooner, but we need to get a kick start learning Spanish conversation. We will be going back to the UK soon, as our holiday is coming to an end, but returning to CE at the beginning of August for about 6 weeks. Is there anyone out there who is, or knows of somebody, who would be prepared to visit our villa for a couple of hours, several times a week, to help us pick up the language on a one to one (two!) basis. Obviously, we will pay for this help. We are no spring chickens, so would need somebody with a lot of patience, as it takes us a little longer for the information to sink in these days! We would be grateful for any contacts/leads/estimate of cost etc. Many thanks, Sue and Barry
Do you know Bongo Dave whos always at the shop - Heather his wife teaches - i wonder if she would be interested in giving private lessons - absolutely gorgeous lady <3 xxxxx
Old May 30th 2017, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Do you know Bongo Dave whos always at the shop - Heather his wife teaches - i wonder if she would be interested in giving private lessons - absolutely gorgeous lady <3 xxxxx
Hi Sam
Many thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid we have no idea who 'Bongo Dave' is! Could you possibly PM me his/Heather's contact details please? We will be going back to the UK soon, but it would be good to get something organised for when we return in August/September if possible. Thanks again. Sue
Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Does anyone know if Heather is still giving Spanish lessons? I would be interested in having her contact details if she is.

Thanks Kim
Old Jul 18th 2018, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Kim, I believe Heather is no longer doing them.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 8:03 am
Just Joined

csrich is an unknown quantity at this point

Heather has moved back to the UK however there are alternatives. If you visit the 'shop' around 6 pm on a Monday you may find a number of people that may give you contact details of various teachers in and around Esuri or Ayamonte.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodzie
Does anyone know if Heather is still giving Spanish lessons? I would be interested in having her contact details if she is.

Thanks Kim
Hi Kim

So you want to improve your Spanish! We did a 2 week intensive course (mornings) - tailor made for us - from Escuela Altena, right on Laguna.
They will also do lessons via Skype (and I am guessing whatsapp) https://www.escuelaatenea.com/en/

There
is a school just before the new garage before the plaza after the parador. On the left. Ive never been in it, just seen the signs. It may be English only though. One also on the back roads - as you return from IC and pass the pool with the river on the right, you follow the road and on your right is a sign.

Barbara may also give private lessons. She is the person that used to (maybe still does) group lessons at the GC. Pls contact me for her details as I cant put private details on the forum.

The council also do free lessons year round at school - but for residents.

Hasta luego

Jon
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sue & Barry

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you have to be realistic in your expectations.

This is my experience. I bought a holiday home on Isla Canela 18 years ago. For the next four years my ex and I tried various methods of learning Spanish; classes, 1 on 1, cd's in the car/at home. We found that without the ability to practice every day it didn't stick. We got to a level that I think of as "menu Spanish" you can say hello, nice weather, how are you? (and order from the menu) but that's about it. It was only when we moved full time to Spain that we made real progress. We started with a two week intensive course (a class of three people). Then two years of twice a week one hour lessons (class of 2 people) and practicing with anyone and everyone. These classes consisted of speaking, reading and writing Spanish. I would say that after two years I had an intermediate level of Spanish. I could converse, run a business, deal with the taxman, the town hall, etc. But I know my limitations, I keep to the present tense where possible, I avoid complex discussions about politics and religion, sport is fine.

I encourage everyone to improve their Spanish and feel especially sorry for those people who have been here years and still aren't even at the "menu" level (and there are plenty).

Don't be put off by my experiences, do be realistic about what you can achieve (in say the six weeks of your next visit). My advice: find a native Spanish speaker, someone who will still be here for your next visit (so knows what you have been taught that may need refreshing but not starting over). Concentrate on conversational Spanish.

I may get criticised for these comments but I know too many people who have started to learn Spanish with the best of intentions only to throw in the towel when they realise it's difficult. Be realistic, think small steps, keep at it and very best of luck!

PS. learn Castillano not Ayamontino.

Last edited by Luz liver; Jul 19th 2018 at 8:41 am.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 9:54 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver
Hi Sue & Barry

I would say that after two years I had an intermediate level of Spanish. I could converse, run a business, deal with the taxman, the town hall, etc. But I know my limitations, I keep to the present tense where possible, I avoid complex discussions about politics and religion, sport is fine.

I encourage everyone to improve their Spanish and feel especially sorry for those people who have been here years and still aren't even at the "menu" level (and there are plenty).

I may get criticised for these comments but I know too many people who have started to learn Spanish with the best of intentions only to throw in the towel when they realise it's difficult. Be realistic, think small steps, keep at it and very best of luck! .
Hola
Constructive criticism if I may - I started leaning Spanish aged 56; if you are younger then normally it is easier - more difficult if you are older, and the older you are the slower the absorption rate - my sponge of youth is now the concrete of old age. So if you retired here then expect it to take longer - just keep plodding on.

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.