Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SIM Card Advice

SIM Card Advice

Old Apr 17th 2016, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIM Card Advice

Looking to get a local SIM for calls and texts.
Will be temporary usage - prob several visits, typically month long, throughout year.
Appreciate if anyone can advise what best options are, under under these circumstances?

Thanks
Kenny
Old Apr 17th 2016, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIM Card Advice

I would wait till you get to your property on CE

Coverage on CE with some Spanish providers is awkward. I nearly always get Vodafone PT better than Voda ES. If you are on a UK provider spend a day or so which Spanish provider is the best connection for you
Old Apr 18th 2016, 10:56 am
Just Joined

ARPcPro is an unknown quantity at this point

Just order a lycamobile for free on Free SIM request . It is movistar based.
If you want to buy local, then carrefour or DIA simcards work nice and dont have many restrictions. Both are based on orange.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ARPcPro
If you want to buy local, then carrefour or DIA simcards work nice and dont have many restrictions. Both are based on orange.
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I think that is the type of thing we had looked at before leaving home but unfortunately it was too late in the day to order a sim. It may be we just wait and do that in time for out next visit.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I think that is the type of thing we had looked at before leaving home but unfortunately it was too late in the day to order a sim. It may be we just wait and do that in time for out next visit.
I use Toggle sim available at carphone warehouse in the UK. It is free theoretically. Just £10 for some credit. Calls and texts are the same price in Europe as UK. I have mine set to automatically top up £30 when it gets down to £3. The UK company '3' do not charge for roaming either but there are time limits out of the UK and it can only be topped up there [or have a contract with them] In July next year roaming charges are to stop with all the companies. I wonder if Brexit could change us having the benefits of this EU ruling?
Old Apr 20th 2016, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ARPcPro
I use Lycamobile too. I have one sim for England and another for Spain so have different numb!ERS but both in a duel sim phone. They both work in about 30 countries including the UK, Spain and Portugal. I set them both to automatic and they pick up the best signal. I buy a £12 bundle in the UK which gives me as many minutes and texts as I could possible use and 2g of data. When I am in Spain I buy a bundle for €5 which gives me 50 texts and 50 minutes. I don't use data while in Spain. Only problem is if I want to phone Portugal so I have €5 extra credit which is not time limited just in case.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Olivia& Kath,
Thanks for your replies, i will look in to these options. The lycamobile may be the best option as i need a new sim for Scotland anyway.

Mary.