British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Sale of hotel & golf courses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sale-hotel-golf-courses-906106/)

AndyS Feb 22nd 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Sale of hotel & golf courses

Thanks John. I was confident that, if anybody would know, it would be you. We’re over in June so everything crossed that, as I come over the bridge, I will see cranes operating:fingerscrossed:

EsuriJohn Feb 22nd 2018 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by csrich (Post 12448494)
I am surprised this hasn't appeared on the local government Facebook page and in the Huelva on line press announcements.
Good news for all in any event.

It could be the Mayor is holding back until a photo-op can be organised in front of the skeleton hotel with the new investors where he can wax lyrical about the new employment opportunities offered by a 150 bedroom hotel and the size of future investment opportunities.

BILL AND CLAIRE Feb 22nd 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12448407)
Does anyone have any news on the signing?

The signing did not happen..Apparently it has been delayed.???
Looks like Same ---- different day.

AndyS Feb 28th 2018 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 12448597)
The signing did not happen..Apparently it has been delayed.???
Looks like Same ---- different day.

Are there any more updates please or has it all gone horribly quiet?
Thanks

EsuriJohn Feb 28th 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12452960)
Are there any more updates please or has it all gone horribly quiet?
Thanks

Horribly quiet! However there are 7 in the consortium and two know about running golf courses so I assume the other 5 know hotels and money!

AndyS Feb 28th 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12452985)
Horribly quiet! However there are 7 in the consortium and two know about running golf courses so I assume the other 5 know hotels and money!

:goodpost:

Jon-Bxl Mar 1st 2018 7:29 am

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12452985)

Oooooooooops, best not to 'assume' when it comes to CE & money 💰 don't hold your breath.... But keep fingers crossed!🤞
Jon

Teed Up Mar 1st 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12453371)
Oooooooooops, best not to 'assume' when it comes to CE & money 💰 don't hold your breath.... But keep fingers crossed!🤞
Jon

Be careful what you wish for?, the golf side of things are really busy at Esuri already.

The days of just strolling up and getting on are well past, most days the car park is busy, in fact Esuri as a whole is moving along nicely, there must be at least 10-12 villa's near or under construction.

The Restaurant on the hill is well out of the ground with the roof finished, and he has plans for 4 more villa's on the same hill, and going by what he's already had built on Esuri they will be top class:fingerscrossed:.

The banks have had men on Esuri,clearing gardens and tidying up the properties ready for resale.

Even the shop has invested in a full wrap around awning complete with gas heating,windows and all done professionally.

I'm in no hurry to be paying 4 Euro for a coffee in a hotel on the hill,and not being able to book a tee time till after 11 am each day??,

Ken.

AndyS Mar 1st 2018 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Teed Up (Post 12453477)
Be careful what you wish for?, the golf side of things are really busy at Esuri already.

The days of just strolling up and getting on are well past, most days the car park is busy, in fact Esuri as a whole is moving along nicely, there must be at least 10-12 villa's near or under construction.

The Restaurant on the hill is well out of the ground with the roof finished, and he has plans for 4 more villa's on the same hill, and going by what he's already had built on Esuri they will be top class:fingerscrossed:.

The banks have had men on Esuri,clearing gardens and tidying up the properties ready for resale.

Even the shop has invested in a full wrap around awning complete with gas heating,windows and all done professionally.

I'm in no hurry to be paying 4 Euro for a coffee in a hotel on the hill,and not being able to book a tee time till after 11 am each day??,

Ken.

Ken, it’s good to hear more positive news about Esuri. I’m interested in your comments about the golf. Has the course condition been improved? Last time I played it (admittedly over a year ago) I thought the fairways were pretty poor, so decided not to play it again until I heard that things improved. What’s your opinion?
Andy

EMR Mar 1st 2018 12:03 pm

Ken.

Hope you do not end up with the 5hr rounds we have to experience in the Algarve at peak times. when the large Scandinavian tour groups arrive..
For a few years we enjoyed relatively uncrowded rounds In the courses we played while the development company struggled.
The hotel group that finally bought it now offers really good value packages and it has certainly paid off for them.

Jon-Bxl Mar 1st 2018 2:37 pm

Ken.

Hi Ken

Yes things are moving forward in general. Love the news about the new resto. The car parks were packed in ME last year. We've enjoyed the new terrace at 'the local' already - great job. As the song says 'things can only get better'. Something everyone knows I've been wanting for YEARS

However this whole thread is about the sale of the hotel and courses. Most of the discussions are seeing the completion of the hotel AND professional golf owners taking over the golf - as positive.

I am not at all surprised that there are more delays about the MONEY, hence my comments. After 12 years... Been there, read the book, got the T shirt :)

I personally feel that finishing the hotel will be hugely positive. To clean up that mess right at the gateway to CE. Buldozing the commercial centre (or making something of it) can also only augment the environment around an already improving CE.IMO.

I'm not a golfer, so I didn't think of course times. I can now understand your frustration there now, thanks. Who knows they may even open the 2nd course, doubling the options. If there's a huge demand from golfers its possible? Would that be positive for you, as a golfer?

I'd rather have a new hotel (with bars, resto,facilities etc) as an option, rather than none at all, after all its my decision NOT to pay 5€ for a coffee. Also hotels often have special deals (eg the buffet in IC, New Years Eve in M-Gordo etc).

Let's discuss over a few drinks, and change the world (again). :) See you both soon...:)

Jon

Teed Up Mar 1st 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12453524)
Ken, it’s good to hear more positive news about Esuri. I’m interested in your comments about the golf. Has the course condition been improved? Last time I played it (admittedly over a year ago) I thought the fairways were pretty poor, so decided not to play it again until I heard that things improved. What’s your opinion?
Andy

Hi Andy,

Its a hard one,we are members of Esuri, so play about twice a week, which works out at around 25E, a game,so can live with that.

But also play the courses around Esuri, played El Rompido North few weeks ago, and Benamor in January with Chris Truter, in fact have played most courses within twenty mile radius.

so apart from Monte Rei,which excels, the rest all have issues?, the 1st being the price!:

benamor 45e
El Rompido 50e

But also the condition,Spain and Portugal are both suffering severe lack of rain over the last few years,(bit more coming down now) so its hard to keep lovely fairways,lush greens and the rest of a golf course upto scratch all the time, H20 are not green keepers, but a construction company looking after a golf course?.

But to be fair they are doing all they can with the elements and resources they have, its easy to knock the course,but to me its a lovely course in a fantastic setting, with a great club house and very friendly members,so i'm staying:thumbsup:

Ken.

AndyS Mar 1st 2018 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Teed Up (Post 12453687)
Hi Andy,

Its a hard one,we are members of Esuri, so play about twice a week, which works out at around 25E, a game,so can live with that.

But also play the courses around Esuri, played El Rompido North few weeks ago, and Benamor in January with Chris Truter, in fact have played most courses within twenty mile radius.

so apart from Monte Rei,which excels, the rest all have issues?, the 1st being the price!:

benamor 45e
El Rompido 50e

But also the condition,Spain and Portugal are both suffering severe lack of rain over the last few years,(bit more coming down now) so its hard to keep lovely fairways,lush greens and the rest of a golf course upto scratch all the time, H20 are not green keepers, but a construction company looking after a golf course?.

But to be fair they are doing all they can with the elements and resources they have, its easy to knock the course,but to me its a lovely course in a fantastic setting, with a great club house and very friendly members,so i'm staying:thumbsup:

Ken.

Ken, an interesting read thanks and I agree with all you’ve said and 25E is certainly a bargain. Of all the local courses (excluding the fabulous Monte Rei) I actually think CE is one of the best layouts so my hope is that, with the right level of investment and expertise, it will achieve its potential.:fingerscrossed:

EsuriJohn Mar 1st 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12453955)
Ken, an interesting read thanks and I agree with all you’ve said and 25E is certainly a bargain. Of all the local courses (excluding the fabulous Monte Rei) I actually think CE is one of the best layouts so my hope is that, with the right level of investment and expertise, it will achieve its potential.:fingerscrossed:

When they get the hotel open they are going to have to bring back the second course to cope with the numbers. The clubs with integral hotels on both sides of the river both have two courses and MR is building a second 18 as it develops its play and stay potential.

Teed Up Mar 2nd 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12453650)
Hi Ken

Yes things are moving forward in general. Love the news about the new resto. The car parks were packed in ME last year. We've enjoyed the new terrace at 'the local' already - great job. As the song says 'things can only get better'. Something everyone knows I've been wanting for YEARS

However this whole thread is about the sale of the hotel and courses. Most of the discussions are seeing the completion of the hotel AND professional golf owners taking over the golf - as positive.

I am not at all surprised that there are more delays about the MONEY, hence my comments. After 12 years... Been there, read the book, got the T shirt :)

I personally feel that finishing the hotel will be hugely positive. To clean up that mess right at the gateway to CE. Buldozing the commercial centre (or making something of it) can also only augment the environment around an already improving CE.IMO.

I'm not a golfer, so I didn't think of course times. I can now understand your frustration there now, thanks. Who knows they may even open the 2nd course, doubling the options. If there's a huge demand from golfers its possible? Would that be positive for you, as a golfer?

I'd rather have a new hotel (with bars, resto,facilities etc) as an option, rather than none at all, after all its my decision NOT to pay 5€ for a coffee. Also hotels often have special deals (eg the buffet in IC, New Years Eve in M-Gordo etc).

Let's discuss over a few drinks, and change the world (again). :) See you both soon...:)

Jon

Hi Jon,

Don't get me wrong i would love to see the hotel open,and more people coming and going using all the facilities, but even if they turned up next Monday it would still be around two three years before it was all singing all dancing hotel resort.

Its whats happening on Esuri now that matters and makes more sense to me, the proposed sale does not include the empty shopping centre at the roundabout as you enter Esuri, so that's staying as is for now!!.

The demographics of Esuri mean most people who reside,live there are living on Pensions savings, pretty much a fixed income,if we had 4 restaurants and 5 bars, they wouldn't be full each day/ night, but weekends and special occasions, then come Easter/Summer months you would struggle to get in them. Like at home you don't eat out or go for a drink every night(Your not included in that:lol:)

So its hard to run a business on those terms and keep good staff with decent wages.

Ken.