Restaurants

Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Teed Up
Bit clever for you Derek👍🏼, no golf then I presume ⛳️⛳️
You are right Ken. All day to sit and think up rubbish like that. Have you heard the rumour that Luis is shutting in Monte Francisco and looking for a place in VRSA?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
You are right Ken. All day to sit and think up rubbish like that. Have you heard the rumour that Luis is shutting in Monte Francisco and looking for a place in VRSA?
Hi mate,

Yes heard the rumours but he wasn't going to Vila Real!!, let's wait and see.

The bar on Esuri might be open by then!!.🍺😂
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:32 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate,

Yes heard the rumours but he wasn't going to Vila Real!!, let's wait and see.

The bar on Esuri might be open by then!!.🍺😂
Luis told me a couple of years ago that he would be very interested in the 19h should it become available. It would be great if that happens.... But let's face it, that place is cursed!!

Ken, what new bar are you referring to please?

Great news about Tomas and the generally positive feedback, he is one of our favourite 'service people' in Ayamonte, so welcoming and professional. Good luck with the new venture... He deserves a successful business.
Happy New Year everyone

Jon
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Clever play on words

Remind me not to play 'Scrabble' with you next time we meet, I'll lose!

Jon
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Marg y derek, is the rumour of Luis moving premises well founded? I had thought he was doing well at MF. Admittedly it is a destination resto with no passing trade, but given that Luis lives only three doors away from the resto its quite a cosy arrangement with no commuting. If I remember correctly, he is 64 ish years old as well. How hard do you want to work into retirement age? Ignoring the low season winter months, like now, unless trade has taken a severe downturn I cannot see why he would want to make life more arduous for himself.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hello Marg y derek, is the rumour of Luis moving premises well founded? I had thought he was doing well at MF. Admittedly it is a destination resto with no passing trade, but given that Luis lives only three doors away from the resto its quite a cosy arrangement with no commuting. If I remember correctly, he is 64 ish years old as well. How hard do you want to work into retirement age? Ignoring the low season winter months, like now, unless trade has taken a severe downturn I cannot see why he would want to make life more arduous for himself.
Hi Keith,
It was a close friend of ours who said he was there a couple of weeks ago and Luis himself told him he was closing. But you are right, unless you hear it from the horses mouth over here it is a case of wait and see. As for being low season we have just been to the old brothel in Monte Francisco which has been taken over by the family who owned what we used to call the beaded curtain and Jon BXL called the solar panels Resto. Must have been at least 40/50 people there, menu of day great value, well supported by the mobile home fraternity. There is another resto. In M.F., Casa Dores? which is very popular with locals and us ex. Pats, both of these are really busy at weekend, and both have less passing trade than Luis.
Whatever happens we wish him well as we have had a lot of good times there.

Derek.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Derek, That sounds like an accurate source to me. I hope Luis health holds up,. The last time I saw him he had lost even more weight, ( I know by choice). If anyone could make a go of the 19th Hole, then I guess Luis can. Like Jag, people would go on his reputation. When you say the brothel at MF, is that the newly painted place just as you bear off the motorway next to the MF slip road ? If so we have not had time to try it yet. BUT, we will be out next month!!

Thanks...Keith
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Derek, That sounds like an accurate source to me. I hope Luis health holds up,. The last time I saw him he had lost even more weight, ( I know by choice). If anyone could make a go of the 19th Hole, then I guess Luis can. Like Jag, people would go on his reputation. When you say the brothel at MF, is that the newly painted place just as you bear off the motorway next to the MF slip road ? If so we have not had time to try it yet. BUT, we will be out next month!!

Thanks...Keith
Yes, that is it, closed Tuesday's, very busy Sunday's, menu of the day on Thursdays not the best, good any other day. Food served 12 till 22.00.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:28 am
BE Positive

Thanks...Keith
We tend to 'do lunch' - rarely eating out in the evenings. When Luis stopped lunch, we therefore stopped going. When he re-opened for lunch, there was a lot of competition with the newly relocated 'Bordello' resto ( I would say easily 5x the size of the original aka solar-panel/beaded curtain - and often busy), Cacadores and 'Maria's' opposite Cacadores, and the campesino. Each time we drove by Luis' it was empty, so we went to the others, mainly the 'bordello' resto. As much as we like Luis, we just don't fancy eating alone in a resto.

Ive always found it amazing how a small village like MF can have so much choice ....... and narked that CE - much bigger ..... has less! Just down the road in Castro Marim there are lots more choices.

On this thread Ive posted the Menu at the 'Bordello' resto, if you can find it, its only slightly changed, and actually often offers more options. Salad, choice of mains, choice of desert, coffee and e.g 1/2 litre of wine Eight euros all-in! Salmon on Saturdays is a real winner, delicious (1 euro supplement). By having a known menu up front you can pick your favourite days.

Sundays is a bit more expensive and the menu varies each Sunday - and remains an all-in price. They have a la carte also, but I rarely see people ordering from that. The owner, Teresa, will also do a special if you have a fancy for something and can arrange in advance.

So I think Luis is struggling, unfortunately. Super nice guy.

Jon

PS Is there a new bar opening in CE? Perhaps at the boules?

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 26th 2017 at 6:33 am.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Hi Keith,
It was a close friend of ours who said he was there a couple of weeks ago and Luis himself told him he was closing. But you are right, unless you hear it from the horses mouth over here it is a case of wait and see. As for being low season we have just been to the old brothel in Monte Francisco which has been taken over by the family who owned what we used to call the beaded curtain and Jon BXL called the solar panels Resto. Must have been at least 40/50 people there, menu of day great value, well supported by the mobile home fraternity. There is another resto. In M.F., Casa Dores? which is very popular with locals and us ex. Pats, both of these are really busy at weekend, and both have less passing trade than Luis.

Derek.

I keep getting mixed up and going to the new Brothel!!,

Ken.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ken.
Do you sample the dish of the day?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ken.
There's a new one? Where? (it's OK SWMBO doesn't read this thread )
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyS
Tomas is such a nice guy and very customer focussed, so really hope this is a success for him. Will definitely visit next time we are there.
Went past yesterday lunchtime, looked quite busy.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Keith,

Derek.
Hi Margaret & Derek, I have heard today that Luis has actually closed. Not sure whether he has gone somewhere else but I am more inclined to think that he has retired, Mike
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:05 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Margaret & Derek, I have heard today that Luis has actually closed. Not sure whether he has gone somewhere else but I am more inclined to think that he has retired, Mike
Resto gossip...

We've been here 4 days and 'doing the rounds' here is the news/gossip (so far)

Luis: Yes as mentioned he has closed, but he is working at the Naval club in VRSA, and apparently in good form... maybe there tomorrow.

New Tapas: There is a new Tapas resto, that we are getting rave reviews of that we will try Tuesday in Ayamonte. Will report back.

Sao Bartolomeu (sp): We often take the 'back road' from MF to Altura which is a country road and far nicer than the Mway to eg Altura and Monte Gordo (MG). You end up on the 125 at the Praia Verde turnoff. At Sao Bartolomeu there is a new Portuguese resto (in the old Punjab Palace 2 resto). Will try in a weeks time and report back.

Curry: Our fave curry place and I've reported here is the Marahajah Patiala in MG.. so I hesitate to give it competition, but there is a new Nepalese resto in MG, right next to the Post Office. I believe its called Maya but left the leaflet in the car. Open 7/7 What I like about it is that they have a selection of Thali menus.... I love Thali, but it is not so common - even in UK curry restos. Price 10-13 Eur. Another on the list to try and will report back. They also have a menu of the day.. the only negative for me is that they have on the Menu of the day 'normal stuff' like fish and meat, and also on the A la carte have Chinese, I get nervous when a resto tries to do 'everything'... very friendly server today...

Sushi and more: I have to recommend the Osaka, again in MG, unlimited sushi, sashimi and japanese/Chinese dishes for 11.90 at lunch 13.90 at dinner. Even if you dont like raw fish... sushi of which there are about 25 varieties.... there are also loads of other choices cooked to order, unlimited, like noodles, rice, calamari terayaki chicken etc... etc. First place we went and will go more!

Teresa/bordello (aka Sabores de Beira MF). Great price quality, today 9Euro all inclusive wonderful Salmon, I suspect we will go every Saturday for the salmon... all included salad, main, desrt coffee and wine etc. They had 4 other choices for 8 Eur today... Porco Alentejo, lasagne, Tuna Calderaida, Fejoida... hard to choose but the salmon wins for us spersonally.

Thomas: Good reviews for his new resto/cafe but inside a bit noisy - like Jags was downstairs, maybe some insulation etc needed? But you can eat outside too - cant wait to try it very soon.

Funny thing. A fave resto for many is Cacadores in MF, we had dinner in Maria's in MF - just across the road, and the locals nick-named Cacadores 'Grumpys' resto'! The owner is a little grumpy at times with a very dry sense of humor - but well liked by all!

How does one keep slim here? ..... don't bother!

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.