Restaurants

Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
They have a lunch menu for around 8Eur all-you-can-eat with some sushi. A bit more in the evenings. I think its called Fu Cheng, but may have got my consonants in a twist

There is also a fixed price - something like 6Eur - for a take out container you can fill with anything on the buffet and take home. I reckon it would even feed two who aren't super hungry. Though like we often get with Chinese, a couple of hours later you can be hungry again.

Jon
Yes, that's the place. I knew you would know it, Jon, as our resident restaurant finder/critic.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

sunqueen is an unknown quantity at this point

correct me if i am wrong, but I now feel there are no decent places to have a meal in Ayamonte. Loads of great places for tapas, but for a meal where everyone gets served at the same time with fresh vegetables and potatoes other than cold chips - please tell me if you know otherwise!!!

I go to Portugal now if I want a decent meal. The yacht club at VR S.Antonio or any one of the great restaurants in little Monte Francisco.

I really miss Limonero and the chinese....
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by sunqueen
correct me if i am wrong, but I now feel there are no decent places to have a meal in Ayamonte. Loads of great places for tapas, but for a meal where everyone gets served at the same time with fresh vegetables and potatoes other than cold chips - please tell me if you know otherwise!!!

I go to Portugal now if I want a decent meal. The yacht club at VR S.Antonio or any one of the great restaurants in little Monte Francisco.

I really miss Limonero and the chinese....
There is one its not cheap but very non Spanish in style with white linen and silver service Lucianos near the clinic opposite the Central Hotel.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you other than La Puerta Ancha in the town Sq. Nice steak on the stone there. We will miss the chinese especially. A few more options would be nice. Hopefully someone might know of a little gem in town.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
I agree with you other than La Puerta Ancha in the town Sq. Nice steak on the stone there. We will miss the chinese especially. A few more options would be nice. Hopefully someone might know of a little gem in town.
There is also what we call the new steak on the stone next to the bank that looks like a mosque. They also do excellent Tapas.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 28th 2015 at 11:32 am.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Piedra de Jubago is the other steak on a stone place. They could be done with some new chairs inside. I am quite happy with the eateries in Ayamonte but then I am not looking for big plates of food. I much prefer small portions. Huge plates brimming with food put me right off. As does anything swimming in gravy or sauce of any kind. Most of the chips I have had in town were not cold. I would send them back, politely asking for hot ones please. I have not had any problem asking for what I would like. Several bars now do food the way I like it.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Piedra de Jubago is the other steak on a stone place. They could be done with some new chairs inside. I am quite happy with the eateries in Ayamonte but then I am not looking for big plates of food. I much prefer small portions. Huge plates brimming with food put me right off. As does anything swimming in gravy or sauce of any kind. Most of the chips I have had in town were not cold. I would send them back, politely asking for hot ones please. I have not had any problem asking for what I would like. Several bars now do food the way I like it.
Yes the chairs are a bit rickety and very upright not comfortable, OK stating outside for tapas though.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

did try lucianos once. The food was very good, but as you say, quite expensive and we had to eat our 'posh dinner' with the lights full on and the tv on full blast - not the atmosphere i'm looking for when i'm spending that much money!
We often visit pueta ancha for tapas.
will give piedra de jubago a go! thanks for the feedback
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Had a pleasant meal in Luis' the other evening. He told me he is going to start having special 'Indonesian' evenings two Fridays a month. First one was last Friday, but he was fully booked so I couldn't get in to try it out. Maybe somebody who did manage to go could tell us what they thought.

Steve
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
Had a pleasant meal in Luis' the other evening. He told me he is going to start having special 'Indonesian' evenings two Fridays a month. First one was last Friday, but he was fully booked so I couldn't get in to try it out. Maybe somebody who did manage to go could tell us what they thought.

Steve

Will def try - have had many lovely meals here. But would really love to find somewhere decent to have a meal in Ayamonte - is there any where left??
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:26 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunqueen
Will def try - have had many lovely meals here. But would really love to find somewhere decent to have a meal in Ayamonte - is there any where left??
Perhaps 'El Choco's' ? We've eaten there at times as a restaurant (rather than tapas) and enjoyed it.
El Choco, Ayamonte - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Although we haven't tried it yet there is El Ferry just off Laguna, which was well rated and has (for example) a good seafood platter... that was recommended on here recently (more later)
Restaurante Braseria El Ferry, Ayamonte - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Also a bit further out there's Chiringuito Antonios, at the start of the marina on the corner just up from the old Aussie Bar. (Also lots of choice in PDM). Good food there..fish their speciality.
El Chiringuito de Antonio, Punta del Moral - Restaurant Reviews & Photos - TripAdvisor

Great Tapas at La Casona, and a daily lunch menu dal dia for about 8 Euros
La Casona Restaurante, Ayamonte - Restaurant Reviews & Photos - TripAdvisor

I would still rate Lucianos for food and atmosphere, but pricey, when we ate there there was no loud music... and we had both great steaks and fish.

Also just outside Isla Cristina El Colestorol (sp) great meat place also recommended here...

And one of our fave places for service / price /authenticity, mentioned before, and compared to El Ferry
http://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamo.../#post11491122

Gotta be there for Sunday lunch - but note the times.

Happy eating

Jon

PS Anyone tried the new Casa Luciano's in the market square, it was a fave of ours for tapas / authenticity when it was next door to El Chocos.

PPS Im sure after I hit 'submit' more will come to me - but this is a good start I think...
Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon,

Do you not mean Quitapenas (once next to El Choco) instead of Casa Luciano?

Also,
La Rana in Barrio Canela.
El Picadero on Calle Cuesta de San Diego in Ayamonte.
La Pamela in Punta del Moral.

p.s. Indonesian food at Luis' sounds good. Thanks Steve for the info.

Last edited by Carol&John; Mar 4th 2015 at 8:18 am. Reason: add p.s.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi Jon,

Do you not mean Quitapenas (once next to El Choco) instead of Casa Luciano?

Also,
La Rana in Barrio Canela.
El Picadero on Calle Cuesta de San Diego in Ayamonte.
La Pamela in Punta del Moral.

Oops, sorry, yes thanks for spotting my typo I meant Quitapenas... was our fave Tapas place at the old location, but somehow - for no logical reason, (e.g there's loads of parking) we haven't tried it in the new place.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

We can always add it to the list!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:04 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi Jon,

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. That sounds worth reserving a table for ... My 1st job out of Uni several decades ago (aaargh!) was in Indonesia. So of course, had a go at the cuisine... Some gorengs and satays would be great .... but I did find some of their 'curries' very hot.... (and I like hot food) beware the red ones! I doubt that Luis would go the 'whole hog' (pun intended - i.e Babi guling).. so I hope he would also have the curried type dishes too.

I was in Sumatra though where it is said that there is more Asiatic and Middle Eastern influence, as opposed to say Java - which is more 'local' - so perhaps the heat came from these influences. But full flavoured and interesting cuisine IMO. We are surely up for it... so a 2nd thank you to Steve.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.