Restaurants

Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry
Brilliant! What quick service! Many thanks Jon - much appreciated. We will definitely put this on our 'to do' list!

Sue and Barry
.....and if they are doing the lamb fillet special go for it. Absolutely superb. But then every dish is good.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AndyS
.....and if they are doing the lamb fillet special go for it. Absolutely superb. But then every dish is good.
Sounds fab! Can't wait!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry
Sounds fab! Can't wait!
We went to Huelva and ate again at the Wok resto - that I mentioned above. Still a good meal BH had a delicious steak... LOADS of food a tenner!

Also we were in a bit of a rush to get back - but we noticed that 19H is doing a tenner menu.. no time to read it etc... but thats a good step forward

Jon
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:23 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
We went to Huelva and ate again at the Wok resto - that I mentioned above. Still a good meal BH had a delicious steak... LOADS of food a tenner!

Also we were in a bit of a rush to get back - but we noticed that 19H is doing a tenner menu.. no time to read it etc... but thats a good step forward

Jon
Late this week the 19H finally had the sun screen installed. Essential. You can now sit in the shade in 'the middle' and have a drink/meal. Also parasols for the outside where you can therefore choose sun/shade.

Last week they started the 9.95 lunch menu 2 courses + drink. It was OK considering its on site. I had a very nice home made salmonojejo, BH a tuna salad.. and we both had the chicken. Like big nuggets + glass of wine.

Also a couple of weeks ago they bought their prices down. e.g 2.50 a pint of lager from the tap.

So the 'trips to the dentist' are working....

Jon
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the update Jon. Am looking forward to sampling the 19h menu later this week.
Regards
Martin.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Positive

We were celebrating a special occasion and took off to Alentejo for a few days and planned our day at this resto (also recommended by a fellow Esurian). I started a thread on the forum re Alentejo and got some great tips here: Alentejo - Page 2 - British Expats

Its the best resto we have eaten in since living/visiting Spain and Portugal! So I am delighted to post it. Food, service, views across a lake and vineyards etc great ambience. 2 thumbs up BUT you must make reservations in advance.

We took ages to decide what to order, as there were some excellent choices. And part of the vineyard Herdade do Esporao (who make eg Monte Velho MV and the budget Alandra wines.. we rarely have a fridge empty of the MV white or red in the rack: Alandra very quaffable). We also discovered their excellent sparkling wine too.

Its the top resto according to trip advisor, who have gotten it right: Restaurante Esporao Reviews, Reguengos de Monsaraz, Portugal - TripAdvisor

We rarely dine out in the evenings and this is a lunch only resto... be aware of that. 12:00 to 17:00. So for us its perfect. However they tell me that next year they will have a hotel with 25 rooms. That would make dinner available, and any stargazers will actually love the night sky with no light pollution. Its a ‘must do’ for us in a couple of years time.

I did some research and there is a fantastic wine from this vineyard. Assobio 2011 red. We bought a case. Resto price was only 10.70 can you believe! 6.70 in the shop. It got 94 points in wine enthusiast mag and a best buy. If you find it in the Portuguese supermarkets, get a bottle – you wont be upset, well worth the extra couple of euros over the ‘normal’ wines. They will also give you wines by the glass for each course – but we knew the Assobio would be just right. But looking at the other table they enjoyed the variations of wine made it fun for them and I think would be good too.

There were various nationalities eating there, and a British family had come up from Quinta do Vale – just for lunch. I personally would not recommend that as its so nice to stay a few days there and explore the area. We stayed a couple of nights in Evora.

Happy eating
Jon

PS we put a bottle of Champagne in a cool bag with cool packs and that into a polystyrene cool box you can get in town. The Champagne was perfect 36 hours later!... and delicious with some nice smoked salmon.

PPS Ive been asked to post photos of the trip and will do so later.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 9th 2014 at 10:00 am.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

I hope you stayed in the wonderful Albergaria do Calvario (Tripadvisor's no 1 hotel in Evora)Hotels in Evora - Alentejo - Portugal | ADC Hotel whilst there. We stayed there in May and it is fabulous. Sadly Evora was let down by the cafe/bar in the main square that we decided to have pre dinner drinks at :- 2 lge beers, 1 sm bottle of water and 1/2 jug of Sangria -27 Euro's -so be warned. Regards Bryony
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:19 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeCol
I hope you stayed in the wonderful Albergaria do Calvario (Tripadvisor's no 1 hotel in Evora)Hotels in Evora - Alentejo - Portugal | ADC Hotel whilst there. We stayed there in May and it is fabulous. Sadly Evora was let down by the cafe/bar in the main square that we decided to have pre dinner drinks at :- 2 lge beers, 1 sm bottle of water and 1/2 jug of Sangria -27 Euro's -so be warned. Regards Bryony
I always check tripadvisor, but there were no rooms for our dates. Looks like a wonderful hotel and 2014 award winner. Great recommendation and the price looks good as well.... B+B + free parking - thanks.

The square was 'weird'.... the price for a big beer was the same as a small beer. My wife ordered a glass of white wine and out comes a carafe of wine in an ice bucket - 3 medium glasses worth. We were preparing to get stung, but the bill was 7.20, so maybe they've changed. We try and check the prices before in touristy areas and the price lists were attached to the parasols, so we knew the price, but when the carafe came out - we expected trouble!

Jon
Old Jul 9th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Yes thought it was naughty putting the price list on the parasols, not somewhere you automatically look. Maybe they have put the prices down now, especially as I trashed them on every website I could find linked to Evora
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:06 pm
BE Positive

Yes thought it was naughty putting the price list on the parasols, not somewhere you automatically look. Maybe they have put the prices down now, especially as I trashed them on every website I could find linked to Evora
BTW did you try the resto as well when you were there? A mutual friend of ours recommended it to us so I guess they told you too. Be great to have a second opinion +ve or -ve.

Jon
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW did you try the resto as well when you were there? A mutual friend of ours recommended it to us so I guess they told you too. Be great to have a second opinion +ve or -ve.

Jon
No we didn't Jon but the night before we were staying in Zafra and ate at La Robotica which again is rated no 1 by TA and was amazing. Bryony
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:36 am
BE Positive

No we didn't Jon but the night before we were staying in Zafra and ate at La Robotica which again is rated no 1 by TA and was amazing. Bryony
Great we both have somewhere mouth-wateringly new to try! Its on the list

Jon

PS speaking of No 1 TA restos.. this one has come up recently quite a few times, in discussions, and much closer http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...t_Algarve.html

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 10th 2014 at 8:38 am.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Positive

PS speaking of No 1 TA restos.. this one has come up recently quite a few times, in discussions, and much closer Casa Corvo Restaurant Reviews, Fuzeta, Portugal - TripAdvisor
After posting this we decided on the spur of the moment to go there. It was originally recommended by one of the walking group that went there. Then I heard from others.

Its as good as the reviews say. We didn't know the 'system' so just went with the flow. Others had wine bottles, mixed fish etc. We didnt ask for a menu. Fresh fish was coming in regularly. I chose salmon... excellent and succulent - perfect. BH the Dourada... same story although she would have loved a bit of garlic. We got a litre of quaffable wine on the table and a nice basic salad. Choice of spuds, chips or boiled ones in the skin. I chose melon for desert (many other choices) and got HALF of one. BH was too full. 3 coffees

Bill? 20 Euros!!!!! .. Can you believe. Best fish course Ive had in a few months. We were so impressed with the BBQ chef singly cooking for 50+ people that BH slipped him an extra tip on leaving. Then a few hours on the beach to be safe before driving back.

Jon

NB Get there before 12:30 or you will have to wait. Perhaps bring a towel for the seat - plastic. Note there are lots of other restos doing similar things, eg right next door. If late and you dont want to wait - its worth trying another: But this has something special - hence the crowds: See photo
Attached Thumbnails Restaurants-dscn4922.jpg  
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Carol&John

I see McD's got the rubber stamp, too.

Countdown starting yesterday...
Opened yesterday
Old Jul 12th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

Well here the thing. It's frightening to think that I was envious of my little fellows Happy meal today in mcD. Ok the service was a little disjointed but all are giving it there all and I must admit the building is excellently designed for its purpose. I feel at this stage that I'm going to be suggesting it as an eatery rather than a local 19th hole.
I couldn't be even bothered to do a review on trip advisor. Service is unreal. Amateur status. The only ones getting quality are the Mosquitos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.