Restaurants

Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Thanks, Jon, for the link.
The friendly owner at El barrio was explaining how the local fishermen caught the cuttlefish "by hand" (apparently this style is particular to Ayamonte) with this "trasmayo". The chocos were prepared deliciously - best seasoning to taste, and "juicy". Served with a tinto de verano, and followed by slices of sweet, seedless watermelon.
I sneakily suspect that the music on offer was for my benefit? Mikel Yason (RIP), Gloria Estefan, and then, what? Frank Sinatra! I had to laugh! Very enjoyable!
Thanks, Jon, for this recommendation!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Paul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant future

Which or where is El Barrio?

Paul
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_C
Which or where is El Barrio?

Paul
For a map & info on bar El barrio go to post #9 on this link (back to the "mish mash thread" funnily enough):
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=el+barrio
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Paul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant futurePaul_C has a brilliant future

Thank you.
Paul
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:25 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaah, just clicked! I think it´s the former "Divina Cocina".......
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:05 pm
Jur

Tried to go and have a bite to eat in the Playa Alta (Isla Canela) beachbar today, but got put off immensly by the price of a Heineken bottle (€2,50) icecreams at €2,80,the mozzie attack, and the full blasting sound system wich treated us to Guns ´n Roses & Hip Hop.....

Did see some food passing by for some other tables which smelled and looked good to me. Anyone did manage to bear the above and ate there?
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jur
How about a top three of (in your opinion) of the best and worst restaurants/eating places in the area? let´s restrict it to the Huelva and Algarve province.

My best three:

1) Casa Vicente, Ayamonte
2) Taj Mahal, Monte Gordo
3) Bar A3, Marina Isla Canela

Worst:

1) Hotel Riu Atlantico
2) Mexican restaurant, La Plaza, Ayamonte
3) Pizzeria Bella Napoli, commercial center Isla Canela

Can someone give me directions to Casa Vicente please.
Thanks
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyS
Can someone give me directions to Casa Vicente please.
Thanks
If its the one I'm thinking of -- exit Laguna Plaza with Al-Monte bank on your left - turn right - carry straight on and its on your left - have some tables made from wine barrels.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
If its the one I'm thinking of -- exit Laguna Plaza with Al-Monte bank on your left - turn right - carry straight on and its on your left - have some tables made from wine barrels.
Excellent, thank you.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

A few of us were out late on Saturday night and found ourselves at Bodeguitas a retaurant run by a husband and wife team who had trained with some famous chefs (whose names I have forgotten) in the north of the country. Deciding that we fancied some snacks and ordered some tapas and were told we could only eat inside as the terrace was for the meal eaters. Fair enough, wandered into the empty inside, realising at 30 degrees plus why no one was having tapas!!. So we went back outside and decided to share some starters/mains since there was only one occupied table.

On arriving at a table we had to ask our disinterested waiter to wipe the table twice as he was more interested in getting our order. We ordered a salad (read here as a bowl of lettuce leaves with 2 slices of tomato and sliced onions for €7), A charcoaled chicken and a fish dish. Both mains could have cooked by any novice, placed on a dish with the now famous side salad ie lettuce and onions.

Up to a year ago this restaurant was providing food and a quality which could not be matched by any other in Ayamonte. You did pay for it but you left feeling that you got your moneys worth.

I do not know why the situation has changed but to fall in line with the other restaurants in the area, serving the same surely is not going to bring in the customers, as the few number of customers, on what should have been a busy night illustrated.

Totally disappointed with the whole experience. Its a pity places like this do not realise in times like this service and consistency is important if you want to keep the few customers that are still eating out.

Wow I feel better now that I have had a good moan and wrote a whole book on the experience.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sharon B
A few of us were out late on Saturday night and found ourselves at Bodeguitas. Up to a year ago this restaurant was providing food and a quality which could not be matched by any other in Ayamonte.

Totally disappointed with the whole experience. Its a pity places like this do not realise in times like this service and consistency is important if you want to keep the few customers that are still eating out.
:
Hi Sharon

Does not sound good. But where is Bodeguitas, please?

(I only know most restautants by location. I rely on Pat to remember names.)

Thanks

Steve
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:06 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
Hi Sharon

Does not sound good. But where is Bodeguitas, please?

(I only know most restautants by location. I rely on Pat to remember names.)

Thanks

Steve
It´s situated next to Pizzaria La Pasta Gansa & opposite La Lota.

Had a drink at Bombadill today but could not be bothered to eat there after a quick glimpse at the dried out doradas in the fish vitrine. (Sorry George)
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

George & Rosalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Was out for too short a period recently and visited La Rana ('The Frog') in the Barrio de la Canela for lunch. The food was good. We sat outside in shade and with the hot weather it was perfect. When I got the bill I thought that it was a little bit expensive. It busy.

Anoth er daywe paid a short visit to Casa Vicente for some tapas and beer. As ususual the food was good, well presented and for what we got cheap!

regards
George
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Originally Posted by George & Rosalia
Hi Guys

Was out for too short a period recently and visited La Rana ('The Frog') in the Barrio de la Canela for lunch. The food was good. We sat outside in shade and with the hot weather it was perfect. When I got the bill I thought that it was a little bit expensive. It busy.

Anoth er daywe paid a short visit to Casa Vicente for some tapas and beer. As ususual the food was good, well presented and for what we got cheap!

regards
George
Glad you enjoyed your stay George. the best tapas we have found is at the restaurant next door to el choco, opposite corner of lane that runs between them, and they have a menu in english, although I know this is not necessary for you. Massive selection and always packed with locals, good sign.
Next time back you must try little restaurant tucked away opposite Luis original place in Portugal. It is one of these places with no menu, you just get what they cook on the day, usually a choice of meat or fish. We decided on fish, so they came with a basket of bread, dish of olives, followed with salmon steaks done in garlic with boiled potatoes, side salad, choice of sweet, half carafe of wine and pint of beer. Grand total of 14 euros.
Although hidden away word is obviously spreading as three car loads of germans arrived just as we were leaving. No seating outside to speak of but does have air con.

Regards Derek
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

George & Rosalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
Glad you enjoyed your stay George. the best tapas we have found is at the restaurant next door to el choco, opposite corner of lane that runs between them, and they have a menu in english, although I know this is not necessary for you. Massive selection and always packed with locals, good sign.
Next time back you must try little restaurant tucked away opposite Luis original place in Portugal. It is one of these places with no menu, you just get what they cook on the day, usually a choice of meat or fish. We decided on fish, so they came with a basket of bread, dish of olives, followed with salmon steaks done in garlic with boiled potatoes, side salad, choice of sweet, half carafe of wine and pint of beer. Grand total of 14 euros.
Although hidden away word is obviously spreading as three car loads of germans arrived just as we were leaving. No seating outside to speak of but does have air con.

Regards Derek
Thanks for the tips Derek, too little time on the last trip, I'll give them a go next time whenever that will be and the way the economy, i.e. tax/pay/jobs, is going here unfortunately the trips to CE will becoming farther apart.

best wishes George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.