Restaurants

Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Still closed. Not opened up anywhere else.
Sad

Thanks wench
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Sad

Thanks wench
Hi Fred, there are of course lots of other good restaurants. Where you specifically looking for something along the same lines? If so there is El Limonero which is run by Jags former chef and has a similar menu. Regards Bryony
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

El Limonero was on very limited opening times and no food some days if I remember correctly what I was told.

He did say he wanted the pleasure of Jags again. In town I like the food served in Puerta Ancha and I had a fairly good meal in the Fish restraurant awhile back. I must admit I now prefer a tapa or 2 in different places rather than one plate meal. I have had consistently good food and service in La Vitola.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information.

I suppose I could always trawl through this thread for the many helpful posts.

Now just waiting to see where Mrs Fred decides we are going .
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Jon Bxl comments on Restos. Jon and his wife eat out a great deal and definitely know there way round.

When he sees this I feel sure a comment will come
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

I highly recommend "La Puerta Ancha",which is definitely the best place in Ayamonte for me. I also really like "El Limonero", "La Pasta Gansa" and in Isla Canela marina "El Minutero". All these restaurants are excellent.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 6:48 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
Have a look at Jon Bxl comments on Restos. Jon and his wife eat out a great deal and definitely know there way round.

When he sees this I feel sure a comment will come
As requested Predictable arent I?

I think Puerta Ancha has the best 'posh' tapas IMHO. Top quality food.

For Tapas we also like Quitapenas (sp) as the food is good and add the excellent local atmosphere its a real buzz. For that its our personal favourite.

Another place I think called Pulido's (sp) is good too.... always totally packed out so we get there early just to get a seat. Otherwise you have to wait outside, and I dont like waiting in line. A bit of a 'spit and sawdust' place, but the food is fresh and good. And if so many locals mob the place you know its going to be good. Basically imagine walking through the market from the town side at the square. At the end on the corner to your right is the resto.

We tried 2 places in Altura this week. One is a posh resto 'O' Chamine'. Go to Altura and its on the left just after the hotel, before the roundabout. Its pricing is about the same as O Infante, but its a more intimate setting. It was full of wealthy locals when we went... and it has an open kitchen and the head chef on the 'pass'... just like Masterchef! The head waiter told me it was a Michelin starred resto - but I dont think so. Theres medals and certificates all over the walls though. We saw black Angus steak on the menu and ordered that - it was OK but not as good as the best we have had in Tavira O Cyclista (see my previous post just above http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=566). We should have gone for the fish which was clearly the most popular. It is worth a second shot and a nice place for an occasion.

The other is at the start of the boardwalk in Altura O Charco (sp) I think. Cant miss it, and again its packed the locals all rate it. Big portions - good service and atmosphere. Good pricing too. Crab seems to be in demand a lot these days...

There are 2 restos at the end of the boardwalk the one on the left is closed for now. I heard that they do a killer Cataplana - and a fantastic location. The one on the right looks good, but not as popular as O Charco... it has the advantage of being at the beach and parents eat there and can watch their kids playing on the sand. The one on the left has a better view...

Isnt it great that in mid winter you can eat outside... we even had a lie down on the beach after lunch! Warm in the sun and out of the wind We will eat there soon - so far we have gone there for a coffee outside after eating

Re Steak just another reminder of the resto in the 'middle of nowhere' in Rio Seco - I posted previously... 4or5 houses and a resto that has been recommended by RTP TV! Lots of OTHER good looking dishes as well and popular with the locals. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=543. Only +/- 15 mins away.

Interesting that we tend to eat out more in Portugal than Spain.... One of our greatest pleasures in life is what I call a 'triple - L'... Long Lazy Lunch!

Good eating!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR I wish you lots of wonderful triple L's

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 31st 2012 at 7:02 am.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

We went to Dom Petisco in VRSA on Saturday and had some lovely food. Starters followed by cocquinas (for me) and sole (for Ted) with a couple of small beers and 1/2 lt of sangria came to €37 and was delicious.

We went to Portas do Mar at Ilhe do Tavira on the way back to the airport yesterday. Had to wait over an hour for our main course. Even after we complained after about 45 mins we were just told that the kitchen was busy but no apology. Nothing then until the food arrived 25 mins later. We had just stood up ready to leave. Even then, no apology and when I suggested we should have a drink on the house to make up for the wait I was met with a blank look, even though they all spoke perfect English. Oh well, can't all be good.
Kath
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
As requested
We tried 2 places in Altura this week. One is a posh resto 'O' Chamine'. Go to Altura and its on the left just after the hotel, before the roundabout. Its pricing is about the same as O Infante, but its a more intimate setting. It was full of wealthy locals when we went... and it has an open kitchen and the head chef on the 'pass'... just like Masterchef! The head waiter told me it was a Michelin starred resto - but I dont think so. Theres medals and certificates all over the walls though. We saw black Angus steak on the menu and ordered that - it was OK but not as good as the best we have had in Tavira O Cyclista (see my previous post just above http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=566). We should have gone for the fish which was clearly the most popular. It is worth a second shot and a nice place for an occasion.

locals all rate it. Big portions - good service and atmosphere. Good pricing too. Crab seems to be in demand a lot these days...
Jon
Thanks Jon we ate there tonight, I had the crab, Mrs Fred had tuna, excellent. We will eat there again if we are in the area.

Outside there are Michelin Guide stickers for 2010, 2011,2012 & 2013.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:27 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Thanks Jon we ate there tonight, I had the crab, Mrs Fred had tuna, excellent. We will eat there again if we are in the area.

Outside there are Michelin Guide stickers for 2010, 2011,2012 & 2013.
Hi Fred Glad you enjoyed it - it must be crab season because everywhere we go people are eating it.... The waiter told me that it was a Michelin starred resto.... I can see why its in the guide.

We had a wonderful lunch with friends at O Tapas in Monte Gordo (also mentioned on this thread - with maps etc).

Good buzzy atmosphere. Choice of starter - eg Tuna Salad - or those little clams in Garlic mmmmmm! (Normally more than 10 Euro on the menu)... meat or fish main, we all had fish - I took the Tuna steak and the others had a fantastic swordfish fillet. Then we all got a palette cleansing sorbet.. THEN desert, coffee and a present of a large almond liqueur........ all for 10 Euros..... ooooh forgot that includes a bottle of wine for a couple. We had to go for a walk on the beach and a coffee after as the total probably put us over the limit!!

Excellent value for money, quality/price probably one of the top 3 around - and I think a resto you can have full confidence in going a la carte...... freshness and quality.

Jon
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:42 pm
V.S
Joined a short while ago

V.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant future

I have just had lunch at El Limonero, they are now doing a "Menu Del Dia" at lunchtimes offering a starter, main course, dessert and bread for just €7-95!!

Two of us chose deep fried brie salad and homemade asparagus soup to start, pan fried chicken with pepper sauce and chips and a cheese omelette with salad for main course and both of us had to have the sticky toffee pudding with caramel sauce. FANTASTIC VALUE-nowhere offers food this good in Ayamonte AT ANY PRICE!

I have just received an e mail from El Limonero and for Sunday lunch tomorrow, house wine is just €5 per bottle if you prebook.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:48 am
BE Positive

The Castro Marim market is held every SECOND SATURDAY of the month. Huge market selling everything..... Closes around 2:30 pm Spanish time 1:30 PT.

So yesterday we went.

In the middle there are several tents serving BBQ food... it was fun to eat Chicken + Pork belly + bread + chips outside - have a very cheap beer and watch the world go by - al fresco. Afterwards we had a galao (sp) coffee (expresso with hot milk) at the little bar on the corner with red seats that you can see from the roundabout. Only 50 cents. This bar has amazing prices for drinks and the owner really keeps eg the toilets clean.... good watering hole!!

Castro Marim itself is worth checking out as well .... opposite this bar is a simple resto - VERY clean as well, also accessed opposite where the mobile homes are parked Tasca Medieval.

Its great how you can go to places like there - probably about as close as Ayamonte, and get a meal and drinks for amazing prices....

Jon
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Sorry if this sounds dozy but where exactly is el limonero? I have probably passed it several times without seeing it.
Thanks
Kath
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, do you know where the Indian restaurant is on the corner of Calle de Las Palmeros and Plaza La Lota ? with Indian on your right walk into the Plaza, Bar Lotita and El Limonero side by side and joined at the hip :-)
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know the Indian restaurant so will look out for it next time we are there
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.