Restaurants

Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by MikeCol
They also have a specials menu after 7pm which includes a delicious tuna portuguese style and steak portuguese style which has a , wait for it, fried egg on top. You'll be counting the days until you are back after finding out what you have been missing.

Recently we were going to the Mesa de Cume restaurant in Portugal and when we got there it was closed. Because they didn't want us to have a wasted journey they recommended a place a bit further along the road (which leads eventually back down to Sta Catarina) in a hamlet called something like Bempareis. The restaurant is run by an old couple and is very rustic but the food and views are great ( its like going to your grannies for dinner). The name escapes me but as its the only one there you can't miss it. Bryony
Hi Bryony

what a coincidence... I wrote this email to some friends a couple of days ago - about this resto...

Take the Tavira turn off - and head towards Sao Bras. You will pass Fonte Bispo where there is a hotel complex with pool food etc (carvery sundays, steak nights etc) they co-own the East Algarve magazine and always advertise on the back page. Just past Santa Caterina you see a sign Porto Carvalhoso on the right. Take that and follow the road up into the mountains till you get to Alcaria do cune. Its really nice up there and in parts I felt I was back in the foothills of the himalayas in Nepal.....!!! There's even a bridge over a river with no barriers..so drive safely across it!! Just before Bemparece, where there is a great looking resto that we kept meaning to try but never did it. We will do it next time. Up at the top you get to Alcaria do Cune and a small snack bar .... where we had a coke. Then just further the Mesa doCune resto - recommended many times on the forum... carry on past it and you end up in Tavira so a great circular route and also a couple of great places to stop for lunch....
Thanks

Jon
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:13 am
Just Joined

SteveAndVon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I see that Bar Lotita is having a Halloween Party on the 31st from 8pm. They're doing fancy dress competitions for both adults and kids and there's a couple of magicians.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

Found great new resto!

Firstly, Ive copied a link on another thread that recommends restos to bring the threads together.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727793

I wrote this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...53&postcount=7

If you follow this route in reverse, i.e the 'back road' from Monte Francisco to Altura you will see a signpost to a village called Rio Seco. It's rude to say 'middle of nowhere' - lets say 'off the beaten track' a small village of a few houses - some horses and ..... the resto Ze Da Tasca. 281 531 081

We went there yesterday and their dishes of the day at 7Euro were great. But on 2 occasions I found myself standing up and looking over the resto to see what was being served. Once a big 'paella tin dish' with a delicious looking tuna and onions and another time some great looking big steaks served on a wooden platter with a carving knife and fork. Yummmmmm! I wish I could understand Portugese so could understand all the options. But next time we are going 'off piste'... err 'off daily special' to try the other options.

The resto was packed on a Tuesday lunchtime and apparently get around 100 - 150 covers a day - its a place known to the locals and we thought we were the only tourists there. But we found another couple Portugese/French (we speak some French) that had come there from the western Algarve only because the resto was featured on the Portugese TV station RTP! And had some difficulty finding it. We bought them a drink: 2 big wines, 1 33cl beer and coffee all for 2.60 Euro! House white wine was good - and very cheap! Im sure the red is good too. Amazing find in this tiny hidden village! They actually have an English menu and there is a gentleman waiter that speaks some English (Mondays day off).

We also tried the new beach bar at Cabeco beach (the one just up from Praia Verde - drive towards M Gordo and turn right at the next sign after P Verde - and also mentioned in my post above ). Same company as the resto next door - but a very nice place with drinks etc Sushi and some more bar-type food. Bean bags on the beach - great! A 33cl beer was 1.50 so not a rip off either. So they dont compete with their neighbour. I used to recommend the neighbour resto (Sem Espinhas) but after the new resto on Praia Verde opened (http://www.pezinhosnareia.com/ ) - I shifted preference to that. And also because I got fed up after 3 times of being there being pushed more expensive wines and being charged for cheese we didnt have. I was also a bit embarrassed as I was with friends. Once a waiter less than half my age was recommending a 'better' wine and it turns out that he doesnt drink alcohol! Anyway its a nce location and the food is good, and the addition of beach bar makes that beach very appealing... they just need to sort out their service model.

We enjoy parking at Altura and walking to these restos on these beaches.... very nice and in Altura you get a 33cl fresh orange juice for an euro! Delicious after the walk! (About 30 mins)

Happy eating

Jon

Ps at 6:15 this morning we could hear the music and partying from the Ayamonte festival! All the way to CE!! We're planning to go to bed early and set the alarm for 2am to go there. Too old to do an all-nighter!

Hi Jon, have just been to Ze Da Tasca for Sunday lunch and it was amazing. We had the beef that you mention. If you have the beef you only need one between 2 as you get half a cow all you need then is their lovely fresh salad and excellent house red. Regards Bryony
P.S. the pork is brilliant too, and the fish and well, everything
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Jon, have just been to Ze Da Tasca for Sunday lunch and it was amazing. We had the beef that you mention. If you have the beef you only need one between 2 as you get half a cow all you need then is their lovely fresh salad and excellent house red. Regards Bryony
P.S. the pork is brilliant too, and the fish and well, everything
So glad you enjoyed your meal! What a great find pretty close to us but hidden away! Got me all hungry!!

Have fun
Jon
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Sue Payne is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just had Sunday lunch at El Limonero in town and I have to say it was superb. They had roast lamb on the menu which is a favourite and not readily available so we both had it and the kids has pork. The food was delicious (as usual) and we all had the sticky toffee pudding after - we were hoping the kids wouldnt eat theirs but they did - all of it !!

We've eaten there on a few occassions and have always had great food.

Well done as usual chef !
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andalucia/Huelva Restaurants

I have found this site today which has a few restaurants which are within a reasonable distance of Ayamonte.

http://www.diningsecretsofandalucia....urants/huelva/
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Fab Chicken Curry at Luis's today
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you just have to have a bacon butty with brown sauce or a suasage butty with English mustard washed down with a nice cup of tetleys.
So go to Sargeant Peppers in VRSA (top end of the 'high street')

I'm not sure if I'll get flamed for putting this on the Restaurants thread but we've enjoyed a couple of breakfasts there.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Curry house arriving opposite pasta gansa..

Punjab Palace.....
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:19 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by The Pope
Curry house arriving opposite pasta gansa..

Punjab Palace.....
Aaah so he's coming to our town! We were amazed to find Punjab Palace 2 on the 'country road' from Monte-F to P-Verde. A few yearsd back when we first came here and were exploring around. It was so weird to see a HUGE curry resto in the middle of nowhere. In rural surroundings. I think I posted an incredulous post about it - what a surprise to see it then.

Its closed now of course. He has restos in Tavira as well and has Indian chefs. In the country place he had a big herb garden for fresh herbs... hopefully he still has them somewhere. We had a very good take-out from them. The fresh herbs were prominent and made it really tasty.

He told me that he put in an offer on Jags old place in town. (Years ago)

This is good news - we eat local food normally - but after a while sometimes a fry up, curry or burger just tastes great -! (Though personally, we avoid the pizza + pasta places in Spain)

I wish him good luck!

Jon

PS Pasta Gansa is that the old pizza place in the photo below? Whilst playing with Google maps (below) I realised that Coronacion plaza is the bull ring - not the plaza next to the marina. Also Ive been calling it 'Lotita plaza' - where Gavins places are - wrong. All these years later and only just seen my errors .
Attached Thumbnails Restaurants-pasta-place.png  

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 11th 2012 at 7:22 am.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Positive

We stumbled on a great resto on the way in from the airport. We took the 125 as we don't want to have toll charges for a week so that we aren't paying anothers charges, and have a clean sheet. No transponder. When we leave we will offer a slap up meal for us and friends who will pay the toll after we leave as we will surely take the m-way back, and cars without transponders are significantly cheaper. So we can have a few slap up meals on the difference!! Much more fun, and paying the tolls whilst here is easy as we are often in Portugal and payshops paying for internet anyway.

There are loads of resto's on the 125. This one is nothing special to look at - no posh decor inside, but.... this one is famous for its fish. Unlimited fresh grilled fish for about 10 Euros.... just keeps coming till you blow up! (Mr Creosote 'waffa thin mint' ). Rodizio. We've seen several that do this. By chance there were Franco-Belge people on a nearby table. They spend 5 months a year there and always come to the resto that they rave about. We were late so didn't have the fish as we knew we would be the only ones left eating. So we took the dish of the day. A wonderful roast pork dish. FIVE euros.

I also had one of the best ever house wines quality/price ever. Couldn't believe the price for a BOTTLE. 4 Euros. Yes I said FOUR resto price! A Pias from the Alentejo region. We have bought more at the supermarket when we got here. I had not heard of Pias before.

Details/map below. A good place to stop on the airport run....and you could see that many people had eaten there as well
Attached Thumbnails Restaurants-dscf7122.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

We stumbled on a great resto on the way in from the airport. We took the 125 as we don't want to have toll charges for a week so that we aren't paying anothers charges, and have a clean sheet. No transponder. When we leave we will offer a slap up meal for us and friends who will pay the toll after we leave as we will surely take the m-way back, and cars without transponders are significantly cheaper. So we can have a few slap up meals on the difference!! Much more fun, and paying the tolls whilst here is easy as we are often in Portugal and payshops paying for internet anyway.

There are loads of resto's on the 125. This one is nothing special to look at - no posh decor inside, but.... this one is famous for its fish. Unlimited fresh grilled fish for about 10 Euros.... just keeps coming till you blow up! (Mr Creosote 'waffa thin mint' ). Rodizio. We've seen several that do this. By chance there were Franco-Belge people on a nearby table. They spend 5 months a year there and always come to the resto that they rave about. We were late so didn't have the fish as we knew we would be the only ones left eating. So we took the dish of the day. A wonderful roast pork dish. FIVE euros.

I also had one of the best ever house wines quality/price ever. Couldn't believe the price for a BOTTLE. 4 Euros. Yes I said FOUR resto price! A Pias from the Alentejo region. We have bought more at the supermarket when we got here. I had not heard of Pias before.

Details/map below. A good place to stop on the airport run....and you could see that many people had eaten there as well
The increased traffic now using that road might have been a good thing for those restaurants, do you think so?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Aaah so he's coming to our town! We were amazed to find Punjab Palace 2 on the 'country road' from Monte-F to P-Verde. A few yearsd back when we first came here and were exploring around. It was so weird to see a HUGE curry resto in the middle of nowhere. In rural surroundings. I think I posted an incredulous post about it - what a surprise to see it then.

Its closed now of course. He has restos in Tavira as well and has Indian chefs. In the country place he had a big herb garden for fresh herbs... hopefully he still has them somewhere. We had a very good take-out from them. The fresh herbs were prominent and made it really tasty.

He told me that he put in an offer on Jags old place in town. (Years ago)

This is good news - we eat local food normally - but after a while sometimes a fry up, curry or burger just tastes great -! (Though personally, we avoid the pizza + pasta places in Spain)

I wish him good luck!

Jon

PS Pasta Gansa is that the old pizza place in the photo below? Whilst playing with Google maps (below) I realised that Coronacion plaza is the bull ring - not the plaza next to the marina. Also Ive been calling it 'Lotita plaza' - where Gavins places are - wrong. All these years later and only just seen my errors .
Might be Google is wrong on Plaza Lotita
Old Oct 28th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by olivia
The increased traffic now using that road might have been a good thing for those restaurants, do you think so?
Hi Olivia, yes I think so the volume has increased significantly.... so maybe a good side to the tolls.....

Jon
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:39 am
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

The name of the plaza is Lotta....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.