Restaurants

Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Hi Jon

We are fans of both Pousadas http://www.pousadas.pt/historic-hote...directory.aspx and Paradores http://www.parador.es/en/portal.do

A good site for information is http://www.manorhouses.com/

We used this for our first Pousada booking but now book direct although the prices are generally the same.

The trick is too look for the offers, being old there are plenty of deals if you book out of season, but do check out all the booking options as say going for the Golden days offer can at times be more expensive than other offers.

Also food in these places can be expensive with a limited menu.

I prefer to book places that are in or near towns so one has a choice of eateries.

Ayamonte we walk into town for an evening meal and taxi back, sometimes we go to the La Plaza shopping center for breakfast at a couple of € against the in house price of €16.

Sagres has excellent restaurants within metres of the Pousada

We visited the Pousada at Tavira without staying there but we were not too impressed we like places with balconies and views.
Hi Fred

Really good information - thanks. Ive put it in my file.

We also walk into Ayamonte from time to time.. (from CE that is) there are a couple of routes, and the 'long route' up by the farmhouse and under the motorway and crossing the industrial estate can be nice. Its also possible to get to Isla Canela/Punta del Moral from here - but we havent done that.

For a cheap meal on Wednesdays the 101 Montatidos at La Plaza used to have a 1 euro special - everything for an euro, you get quite a crowd then so theres a bit of atmosphere, in a sadly quietened upper floor of closed shops. I dont know if they are still doing that though.

Thanks for the info

Jon
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi John, we love the Parador in Arcos de la Frontera (just outside of Jerez) it is in the most spectacular position and the food in the restaurant is amazing (although not cheap). All local dishes (e.g. rabbit, oxtail etc) and in my opinion the chef should have a Michelin star. Regards Bryony

Photo of view from Parador.
Attached Thumbnails Restaurants-arcos-visit-2010.jpg  
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:24 pm
V.S
Joined a short while ago

V.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant future

Spoke with friends of mine who have eaten at Gavins new place 4 times in 3 days. (both tapas and dinner menu) Has anyone else tried the new El Limonero restaurant, in Plaza La Lota, adjoining Bar Lotita?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by V.S
Spoke with friends of mine who have eaten at Gavins new place 4 times in 3 days. (both tapas and dinner menu) Has anyone else tried the new El Limonero restaurant, in Plaza La Lota, adjoining Bar Lotita?
We ate at El Limonero on the opening night for the restaurant.Service was a bit slow but to be expected on first night.Menu is very extensive and interestesting. Food was excellent.

Actually no has mentioned it but the Chinese El Chino in Ayamonte is pretty good. Great value for money.We took some friends there who were over for a week.And they wanted to go back again,so we did couple of nights later.
My friend said jokingly to the waiter when we sat down that we should get a 10% discount for being regular customers.Lo and behold when bill came they had discounted 10% frm the total! Hows that for looking after your customers.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
We ate at El Limonero on the opening night for the restaurant.Service was a bit slow but to be expected on first night.Menu is very extensive and interestesting. Food was excellent.

Actually no has mentioned it but the Chinese El Chino in Ayamonte is pretty good. Great value for money.We took some friends there who were over for a week.And they wanted to go back again,so we did couple of nights later.
My friend said jokingly to the waiter when we sat down that we should get a 10% discount for being regular customers.Lo and behold when bill came they had discounted 10% frm the total! Hows that for looking after your customers.
Hi

Is EL Chino the resto on the square next to the marina? Never tried it but they have some amazing priced menus at lunchtime. The guy I saw putting up the parasols was also the guy that works in the chinese shop next to the indoor market.

Is it busy?

Thanks
Jon
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

Is EL Chino the resto on the square next to the marina? Never tried it but they have some amazing priced menus at lunchtime. The guy I saw putting up the parasols was also the guy that works in the chinese shop next to the indoor market.

Is it busy?

Thanks
Jon
Have not tried ourselves yet, (but we understand from a number of people who have) that it is now quite good - having overcome some initial problems.

Usually looks quite busy.

Last edited by Steve and Pat; Jul 27th 2011 at 8:45 am. Reason: spelling; as usual
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

tonyp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by V.S
Yes we ate there on the opening night.

Food was excellant...Good Luck to them.Ayamonte is in need of a really good
restaurant.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:36 am
BE Positive

Hi

Found great new resto!

Firstly, Ive copied a link on another thread that recommends restos to bring the threads together.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727793

I wrote this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...53&postcount=7

If you follow this route in reverse, i.e the 'back road' from Monte Francisco to Altura you will see a signpost to a village called Rio Seco. It's rude to say 'middle of nowhere' - lets say 'off the beaten track' a small village of a few houses - some horses and ..... the resto Ze Da Tasca. 281 531 081

We went there yesterday and their dishes of the day at 7Euro were great. But on 2 occasions I found myself standing up and looking over the resto to see what was being served. Once a big 'paella tin dish' with a delicious looking tuna and onions and another time some great looking big steaks served on a wooden platter with a carving knife and fork. Yummmmmm! I wish I could understand Portugese so could understand all the options. But next time we are going 'off piste'... err 'off daily special' to try the other options.

The resto was packed on a Tuesday lunchtime and apparently get around 100 - 150 covers a day - its a place known to the locals and we thought we were the only tourists there. But we found another couple Portugese/French (we speak some French) that had come there from the western Algarve only because the resto was featured on the Portugese TV station RTP! And had some difficulty finding it. We bought them a drink: 2 big wines, 1 33cl beer and coffee all for 2.60 Euro! House white wine was good - and very cheap! Im sure the red is good too. Amazing find in this tiny hidden village! They actually have an English menu and there is a gentleman waiter that speaks some English (Mondays day off).

We also tried the new beach bar at Cabeco beach (the one just up from Praia Verde - drive towards M Gordo and turn right at the next sign after P Verde - and also mentioned in my post above ). Same company as the resto next door - but a very nice place with drinks etc Sushi and some more bar-type food. Bean bags on the beach - great! A 33cl beer was 1.50 so not a rip off either. So they dont compete with their neighbour. I used to recommend the neighbour resto (Sem Espinhas) but after the new resto on Praia Verde opened (http://www.pezinhosnareia.com/ ) - I shifted preference to that. And also because I got fed up after 3 times of being there being pushed more expensive wines and being charged for cheese we didnt have. I was also a bit embarrassed as I was with friends. Once a waiter less than half my age was recommending a 'better' wine and it turns out that he doesnt drink alcohol! Anyway its a nce location and the food is good, and the addition of beach bar makes that beach very appealing... they just need to sort out their service model.

We enjoy parking at Altura and walking to these restos on these beaches.... very nice and in Altura you get a 33cl fresh orange juice for an euro! Delicious after the walk! (About 30 mins)

Happy eating

Jon

Ps at 6:15 this morning we could hear the music and partying from the Ayamonte festival! All the way to CE!! We're planning to go to bed early and set the alarm for 2am to go there. Too old to do an all-nighter!

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 7th 2011 at 5:51 am. Reason: sleping mistaiks
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Jon, you need to go earlier than that tonight as its when they do the flower offering and are all dressed in their finery.

Also brilliant new restaurant on the N125. About 2k before Cabanas on the right hand side (used to be a club next door to a car lot with yellow awnings). Set meals (fish or meat) including salad, potatoes, bread, olives, dessert and drink. Regards Bryony
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Photos Please!

Some great recommendations here. Many thanks. The road from MF to Altura is lovely

I've saved some pics of the various carteles during this month of fiestas.
Attached Thumbnails Restaurants-cartelferialapalma2010p.jpg   Restaurants-fiestas-de-septiembre-2011.jpg  
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Jon, you need to go earlier than that tonight as its when they do the flower offering and are all dressed in their finery.

Also brilliant new restaurant on the N125. About 2k before Cabanas on the right hand side (used to be a club next door to a car lot with yellow awnings). Set meals (fish or meat) including salad, potatoes, bread, olives, dessert and drink. Regards Bryony
Thanks Bryony you advised us about this before and as a result we have planned to be there to see them all dressed up tonight... we'll do the 'late-nighter' another night.

Thanks
Jon
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Photos Please!

Some great recommendations here. Many thanks. The road from MF to Altura is lovely

I've saved some pics of the various carteles during this month of fiestas.
OK Carol..... Only because its YOU

Here are the photos.... posted on the photo thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=186

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 8th 2011 at 2:49 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

great photos, Jon! Many thanks

Did you eat at the picanha restaurant in Santa Luzia?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Positive

Hi Carol

Yes we did - unlimited food/meat not for veggies.

Theyve had to put the price up at lunch. Its 8.50now - but that includes salad bar - meat(!) and god desert selection and coffee (I think). wine extra. They told me that this year meat prices have been going up and they simply had to increase the price. Its still great value.....

All the best
Jon
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

char272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nice

Where is Santa Luzia please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.