Restaurants

Old Dec 4th 2019, 7:04 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

I heard last week that our favourite tapas resto, on our favourite plaza in Ayamonte has closed. El Corsario, on Pl Leon Ortega that I've recommended previously on this thread.

Shame, the resto was popular and busy, with great food and staff - we always got a hug/kiss from the manageress when going. The new owner French/Portuguese, kept the same menu and staff as previously.

I hope another new owner can be found to do essentially the same.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 4th 2019 at 7:07 am.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default El Corsario- replacement

Hi Jon, Sadly, the new resto has not kept the menu or the name which is a great shame. El Corsario was our local and favourite Tapas Resto too and is no more.
We ate at the replacement yesterday and had a few nice dishes but nothing will replace the Araña that was fantastic. 😟
Old Jan 26th 2020, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks Bill & Claire

​​​​​​As you know we call that resto 'Bill's restaurant' and really glad that it's reopened. Can't wait to try it again, especially as you recommend it!

We went to the Brasseria once, but were too early, at 1pm and want to go again after 2-2:30 on a weekend when we are sure it will be buzzing....

Jon
went there yesterday. I don't know how it was before but Ithink it is not outstanding, They didnt have a daily menu, only a la carte and like usual they only have one third available what is on the card. On the other hand, this time of the year , a lot of places are closed. There is not much to choose from....
Old Jan 29th 2020, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute

Tried today an older recommendation from Jon BXL : resaurante O Tapa in Monto Gordo. It was excellent and the the best worth price i have seen so far in these area. I had the Menu turisco which had Sole or Pig Steak with a starter and a dessert and a bottle of wine included for only 10 euro. The house offered us at the end a Digestive. Hard to beat I think, Will be back soon.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:26 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverik
Tried today an older recommendation from Jon BXL : resaurante O Tapa in Monto Gordo. It was excellent and the the best worth price i have seen so far in these area. I had the Menu turisco which had Sole or Pig Steak with a starter and a dessert and a bottle of wine included for only 10 euro. The house offered us at the end a Digestive. Hard to beat I think, Will be back soon.
Glad you enjoyed it! Its a place we love to go to particularly with friends as its a very social place - especially at weekends when there is such a buzz! Its good to see that they have kept the 10 Euro menu, but note that it goes up to 15 Euros in the high season. Still worth it.... and the BH loves the bread rolls as well.

Thanks to EsuriJohn and his lovely wife for introducing us to it in the beginning... On the forum, I was only 'the messenger'

Jon

Here it is for those interested
Old Feb 14th 2020, 6:42 am
BE Positive

Hi Weve recently been using a Resto website weekly which gives immediate booking confirmations and great discounts on restos food menus. Thé best part is that we've tried new places. It's called 'TheFork'

To save repetition, I've detailed it on the 'car hire new wrinkle' thread post 7. Read half way down from "BTW", if interested.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayam.../#post12806464

Not much in Ayamonte (The Parador is on it). But more in the bigger cities... eg Monte Gordo, Huelva etc.

I have no commercial connection with the company TripAdvisor, in fact I mention that I am not a huge fan, but this part of the company has caught my eye and we've used it a lot already.

Jon
Old Feb 27th 2020, 6:45 am
BE Positive

Hi I was checking the site mentioned in the previous post.

You can get 50% off at Pasta Gansa, 30% off at the Parador and the new beach Resto at Cabeco etc.

https://m.thefork.com/search/?cityId=33489&sort[promotion]=desc

Note this is their mobile site.... Just Google if on PC

I don't like downloading apps and book via their website ... However apparently you can get an introductory 10€ additional discount on your first order if you download the app.

Also we noticed yesterday that a huge/mega Resto (I hope) is being built in Altura on the beach to the left as you drive down from the 125 looking at a direction of about 11 o'clock.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 27th 2020 at 6:55 am.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 10:42 am
BE Positive

Default Re: El Corsario- replacement

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Hi Jon, Sadly, the new resto has not kept the menu or the name which is a great shame. El Corsario was our local and favourite Tapas Resto too and is no more.
We ate at the replacement yesterday and had a few nice dishes but nothing will replace the Araña that was fantastic. 😟
Yesterday we went to Plaza Leon Ortega - our favourite plaza in our region. Drinks there and the excellent kiosko, just outside the plaza, diagonally opposite El Jamon, and next to the roundabout. With friends. They serve great snacks, montatidos etc ther.

Everybody friendly + smiling.

We then took a risk and tried the new Resto Los Barriles that has taken over from El Corsario. It was the busiest Resto on the plaza. Good sign.

It's a sister Resto to the one in IC by the roundabout at the end with the 'outdoor gym' with the same name.

Its a different concept to the excellent predecessor, El Corsario, with a smaller menu, typical tapa Resto, where you fill out your order by ticking boxes on a paper (Spanish and English).

We were all very impressed with the great service. The food was delicious. I had dish of the day + tapas. Meat casserole full of flavour in a wonderful spicy sauce. Only 5€! Also the arroz de marisco, thumbs up. Garlic prawns - some of the best I have had, with a hint of charcoal taste that gave it s good 'edge'. Boquerones Al vinagre (SP) very fresh! Thumbs up also for the pez espada

Homemade Mayonnaise ali-oli, make sure the OH has some too. Delicious!

We had a fantastic time and are delighted that we can still enjoy good food and service on the plaza there, and enjoy a drink in one of the many cafes there.

Bon appetit!

Jon

PS We made the old mistake of ordering up front. Getting old! Next time (and there will be hopefully many times), we will order the 'starters' initially on one paper, and later other courses, serially.

Old Feb 28th 2020, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

We went there to last month. Liked it also . Great food for a decent price and no Rip off like EL Choco. Did you go the Big Pine Restaurant already , Jon ? We tried it also last month but were a little bit disappointed. Keep going.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 7:15 am
BE Positive

We went there to last month. Liked it also . Great food for a decent price and no Rip off like EL Choco. Did you go the Big Pine Restaurant already , Jon ? We tried it also last month but were a little bit disappointed. Keep going.
Hi maverick. Funnily enough we went to the Big Pine Resto yesterday ! See earlier post 1545 for information.

Now a caveat. It was a weird day. Huge traffic jams on the m-way direction towards the bridge and Portugal. Beyond the Isla Christins turnoff! Also a public holiday, 'Andalucia day'

However IMO the new management, though very friendly, haven't created the same ambiance as before. Whilst they do have a 'menu Dal dia' on (non fiesta) weekdays, that we haven't tried - we didn't feel it matched up with many other options we have in the area. So it's off our list. Driving a few minutes more takes us to the excellent El Colesterol Resto, a meat eaters paradise and buzzing at weekends! Mentioned often here (details below)!

Bon appetit!
Jon

https://m.facebook.com/CasaJoaquinElColesterol/
Old Mar 1st 2020, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jon,

Since I noticed you also like some good food, I would like to share with you some adresses in Portugal wherer my brother lives. It's thanks to him that I got too know them:
1. Restaurante O campista in Cabanas, It is on the camping grounds but independent from them: They serve an excellent daily menu for about 10 Euro. Even when it is windy , they have a terrace which is wind prtected. Very good value for money.
2. Casa Fernanda: , Corte Antonio Martins, past the Monte Rei golf club. : IT is very local but always packed. Known for it's porco secreto. Price Range : Main course: 12 -14 Euro . Do not get confused with Restaurant Belavista which is the first when you come into town .
3.Rota de Sabores in Conceicao ,: A little upscale but very good quality of meat and fish for a reasonable price Main course abour 14 Euro .
4. Porto di Mari: next to the ground school in Cabanas. : They also have a daily menu during lunch., run by some Serbian people who worked on cruise vessels. Very good quality for a decent price.

Have fun and enjoy your meal,

Mav
Old Mar 1st 2020, 8:19 am
BE Positive

Hi Jon,

Since I noticed you also like some good food, I would like to share with you some adresses in Portugal wherer my brother lives. It's thanks to him that I got too know them:
1. Restaurante O campista in Cabanas, It is on the camping grounds but independent from them: They serve an excellent daily menu for about 10 Euro. Even when it is windy , they have a terrace which is wind prtected. Very good value for money.
2. Casa Fernanda: , Corte Antonio Martins, past the Monte Rei golf club. : IT is very local but always packed. Known for it's porco secreto. Price Range : Main course: 12 -14 Euro . Do not get confused with Restaurant Belavista which is the first when you come into town .
3.Rota de Sabores in Conceicao ,: A little upscale but very good quality of meat and fish for a reasonable price Main course abour 14 Euro .
4. Porto di Mari: next to the ground school in Cabanas. : They also have a daily menu during lunch., run by some Serbian people who worked on cruise vessels. Very good quality for a decent price.

Have fun and enjoy your meal,

Mav
Hi Mav
Thank you for the recommendations.

Many people read this thread, so all benefit from these recommendations. In fact, I think it's the most read thread on AC! People like a good 'Nosh Up'

In my case, you've given me 3 new recommended places to go to. I have been to Casa Fernanda but it's been a while since we've been there. We also liked it. But the other 3 are new. Great that they are local places too.

I've cut'n'pasted these into my notes and over time we will try them all!

Thanks again
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 1st 2020 at 8:29 am.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 7:09 am
BE Positive

If you go into Monte Francisco just next to the first little roundabout immediately after turning in from the Beja road, is a big walled property that's been for sale for many years. It's an old Resto, quite large.

We've noticed activity there, cars outside etc. They have whitewashed out the 'se vende' painted on the side, other bits being tidied up. We went there and the small paper 'se vende' signs are still there in the window. However the large estate agent sign facing the main roads has gone.

I have no idea what'sgoing on, but it's a good sign of perhaps a new opportunity coming

We had a drink at the Campesino this week, (2nd roundabout on the corner) it was loaded, including a crowd on the terrace all eating. They host dancing events there with a stage set up permanently - and a huge screen protector TV screen in the community centre, where eg the place is buzzing when Portugal play in the World cup and the Euros. I've been there when there were guys with trumpets and a guy with a big bass drum, when PT play! . It's great how the Spanish & Portuguese can so vocally and passionately support their team. Fun!

It's amazing how such a small village can support so many places!

Jon

PS we went to Casa Fernanda: , Corte Antonio Martins. As recommended by Mav just a couple of posts above. Great Resto! But the drive is also beautiful on the 'back roads' as well. Go through MF, straight past the Campesino, turn left (Altura sign) under bridge. Follow road to the next roundabout, follow Rio Seco direction and keep going straight past till you see the Corte Antonio signs. The first Resto Bella vista is on your right (nice views) but keep going to Casa Fernanda, can't miss it. I recommend booking at the weekends as it was full at 12:30, we were lucky to get a table.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 12th 2020 at 7:19 am.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon. We are eating at Campesino tonight, Good Food. Drinks prices have gone up, But still at 2.50€ a pint. Super Boc on tap..
Old Mar 13th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I thought I would mention the Brasseria resto down the hill on the right to Ayamonte, diagonal to the petrol station. Formerly italian and before that an excellent Argentinian steak house. Well its not good news tbh. The main waiter is the Spanish guy who worked at RUYI's chinese in town for the past three years. Nice helpful guy. We went in because it was the cool bad weather day sat 29th Feb and we had earlier seen their blackboard outside advertising both lamb shank and lamb chops that day. The shank sounded ideal for a cool evening. As far as I can make out they serve mainly local trade rather than tourists , so we were hoping it might be good. Well its very average !! It's really a typical tapas resto with a few extra dishes like the lamb. He took our order, served starters and wine, but only then came back to tell us the Lamb shank was OFF the menu now ???? You mean he didn't know before he served the starters? So, I settled for an entrecote steak but that was not available either. No Tengo. Only three other tables eating at 8,30 pm when we arrived. same when we left. So overall not a good visit and the lamb chops at 14 euros were nothing like as good as they serve in Portugal like say Dom Petisco's at VRSA. beside the hotel clubhouse.

We won't be going back in a hurry, but looking forward to trying the PT places recommended by Maverick. Cheers all Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.