Restaurants

Old Jul 11th 2019, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by keithBT
Where did you get OCTOBER from ? I've read back and did not see any mention of October. Mind, we seem to have hi-jacked the restaurant topic into the GC now.
October is the latest date on the wires from people connected to Pryconsa.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 9:08 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limey610
It does surprise me that people are praising the old regime. I don't think any golf members have received any refunds from their paid up fees, some of which were only paid out a matter of a few days before the closure.

Patricia did an excellent job but lets face it she was only running down the stock for the lessee.

I choose to have faith that the deal is extremely close to being notarized.

I choose to have faith that the new owners will respect the property, invest in the course and facilities and provide a golfing and recreational jewel for the future use of all.

Isla Canela golf management have the same goals as every resident, both golfers and non-golfers; to have a very successful golf club with a flourishing food and beverage operation.

I am sure that Pryconsa have the goal of making Costa Esuri GC a very successful Stay & Play destination.

I think you've completely missed the point. The 'old regime' had 3 going concerns, often packed out in season. I remember times when the club was packed and e.g spent a several wonderful evenings there, e.g the New Years bashes, events, quizzes etc. Jags was heaving most nights in season and the shop had a crowd in spite of the competition from the other two. Ive had a load of good laughs in all 3. In the lower season all one place had to do was a 'special' e.g music, entertainment, footy evenings... and people came carrying their wallets. Note we aren't golfers - like many of our friends looking for a good night out in our 'manor'. Also then we had a functioning golf course... hey for a while even two!! = Old regime.

That was when there was less footfall in CE than today. Our parking is now packed, it was never then. There are more Spanish owners as well. Today we have more demand for a variety of social options.... and there's MONEY to be made. The circumstances deter that. If all these rumours are true about Pryconsa, note that they aren't taking over the club. As Ive mentioned before 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

Its the 'new regime' that is totally messed up and there are significant problems with the monies not fully returned - no golf course - the course deteriorating daily etc etc. Only one place in CE open that many love... many don't.

There were loads of problems with the 'old regime' - it was nowhere near perfect... LOADS of problems, but far better than the mess we have now.

A professional in the social entertainment and/or food business (with a decent legal team up front) could make good money with the right formula. I remain convinced that the area above the shop is the best in CE for views, terrace, positioning etc to make a resto/bar and entertainment hub. It also has a commercial licence also (I believe).

Its worse now than ever, for everybody, perhaps worse if you are a golfer... therefore it stands to reason that it was better before.

Jon

Old Jul 11th 2019, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I think you've completely missed the point. The 'old regime' had 3 going concerns, often packed out in season. I remember times when the club was packed and e.g spent a several wonderful evenings there, e.g the New Years bashes, events, quizzes etc. Jags was heaving most nights in season and the shop had a crowd in spite of the competition from the other two. Ive had a load of good laughs in all 3. In the lower season all one place had to do was a 'special' e.g music, entertainment, footy evenings... and people came carrying their wallets. Note we aren't golfers - like many of our friends looking for a good night out in our 'manor'. Also then we had a functioning golf course... hey for a while even two!! = Old regime.

That was when there was less footfall in CE than today. Our parking is now packed, it was never then. There are more Spanish owners as well. Today we have more demand for a variety of social options.... and there's MONEY to be made. The circumstances deter that. If all these rumours are true about Pryconsa, note that they aren't taking over the club. As Ive mentioned before 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

Its the 'new regime' that is totally messed up and there are significant problems with the monies not fully returned - no golf course - the course deteriorating daily etc etc. Only one place in CE open that many love... many don't.

There were loads of problems with the 'old regime' - it was nowhere near perfect... LOADS of problems, but far better than the mess we have now.

A professional in the social entertainment and/or food business (with a decent legal team up front) could make good money with the right formula. I remain convinced that the area above the shop is the best in CE for views, terrace, positioning etc to make a resto/bar and entertainment hub. It also has a commercial licence also (I believe).

Its worse now than ever, for everybody, perhaps worse if you are a golfer... therefore it stands to reason that it was better before.

Jon
so true a good analysis
Old Jul 11th 2019, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

I have always thought the same. Sitting up there dining on good food,whilst watching the sun go down over the Portuguese hills. Wow! I have always thought that the reason it has never been developed was because of Fadesa liquidation process , and , or debts accrued to the council. Why build a resto above Los lomas from scratch on land not designated for commercial use when there is a ready made venue that just needed fitting out. With Fadesa out of the way ,I guess the debt problem is to large to swallow??
As for the golf course, it's like a game of poker. The buyer has a royal flush. They cannot lose.
The seller is definitely holding his pair, and trying not to blink.
Squeaky bum time.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 5:59 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide

I have always thought the same. Sitting up there dining on good food,whilst watching the sun go down over the Portuguese hills. Wow! I have always thought that the reason it has never been developed was because of Fadesa liquidation process , and , or debts accrued to the council. Why build a resto above Los lomas from scratch on land not designated for commercial use when there is a ready made venue that just needed fitting out. With Fadesa out of the way ,I guess the debt problem is to large to swallow??
As for the golf course, it's like a game of poker. The buyer has a royal flush. They cannot lose.
The seller is definitely holding his pair, and trying not to blink.
Squeaky bum time.

A few years ago someone was renovating this place above the shop.

We sneaked in upstairs and saw all sorts of work going on including expensive AV equipment being installed for what seemed to be a sports bar/resto. With lots of TV connections. It seemed that they were also working on the lift as well. All boxes ticked, including disabled access.

We got very excited as we saw ACTUAL work going on, and the location, size of the resto/bar, terrace and views were fantastic. .... Really fantastic!

Then (as usual in CE) it all died for some reason.

We love the shop, and go there often, and I've had some negative feedback from the regulars about competition above, but I believe both can work.

They are different propositions. And as mentioned, there was a time when we had 3 going concerns. I would use both. And CE residents and visitors need more anyway.

We need a variety of social options in CE, especially now that we have a larger diverse population of Spanish, Brits and others. All willing to PAY for a good social proposition.

Unfortunately it appears that the town hall functionaries arent coming up with creative proposals to encourage business to create tax revenue.... And JOBS!

They prefer to get nothing and let the debts build up making any proposition less attractive each passing day,..... even though in town so many places exist in all areas. Yet CE with a huge population with (may I say) some free dosh to party, have only 1 choice.

​​​​I suppose the town hall are happy to sit back and take our money, through higher taxes for us, EUC revenues etc. etc. vs the population in the rest of their borough.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 12th 2019 at 6:08 am.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

A few years ago someone was renovating this place above the shop.

We sneaked in upstairs and saw all sorts of work going on including expensive AV equipment being installed for what seemed to be a sports bar/resto. With lots of TV connections. It seemed that they were also working on the lift as well. All boxes ticked, including disabled access.

We got very excited as we saw ACTUAL work going on, and the location, size of the resto/bar, terrace and views were fantastic. .... Really fantastic!

Then (as usual in CE) it all died for some reason.

We love the shop, and go there often, and I've had some negative feedback from the regulars about competition above, but I believe both can work.

They are different propositions. And as mentioned, there was a time when we had 3 going concerns. I would use both. And CE residents and visitors need more anyway.

We need a variety of social options in CE, especially now that we have a larger diverse population of Spanish, Brits and others. All willing to PAY for a good social proposition.

Unfortunately it appears that the town hall functionaries arent coming up with creative proposals to encourage business to create tax revenue.... And JOBS!

They prefer to get nothing and let the debts build up making any proposition less attractive each passing day,..... even though in town so many places exist in all areas. Yet CE with a huge population with (may I say) some free dosh to party, have only 1 choice.

​​​​I suppose the town hall are happy to sit back and take our money, through higher taxes for us, EUC revenues etc. etc. vs the population in the rest of their borough.

Jon
Jon,
We were told that there was a restaurant going to be above the shop, but the town hall or the bank took so long to sign things off it was not going to be ready for the summer so they have delayed and are going to be starting in the autumn to be ready next year. Part of getting permission was to get the lift in order which I believe has been done. Let’s hope this is still on course.

Derek
Old Jul 12th 2019, 4:40 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
Jon,
We were told that there was a restaurant going to be above the shop, but the town hall or the bank took so long to sign things off it was not going to be ready for the summer so they have delayed and are going to be starting in the autumn to be ready next year. Part of getting permission was to get the lift in order which I believe has been done. Let’s hope this is still on course.

Derek
Hi Derek gosh yes that would be fantastic! But I won't hold my breath. Been too long in CE.

It must have been easily 5+ years since the last people were putting in the work I mentioned in my last post.

Thanks for the update... And I have to admit that it is an encouraging sign that they have invested in the lift.

I wonder what kind of place resto it will be? I picked up a rumour of Thai again, but didn't realise it was at this location... and there are a lot of rumours .. most just that!

Thanks

Jon

Old Jul 17th 2019, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing on the grapevine that the golf club is closing down this Friday.
Right on cue for the height of the summer season.
​​​​​​Makes perfect sense in Costa Esuri .

Old Jul 19th 2019, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Hearing on the grapevine that the golf club is closing down this Friday.
Right on cue for the height of the summer season.
​​​​​​Makes perfect sense in Costa Esuri .
Is there an authoritative source for this story? The staff have not been told and believe that they will still be open tomorrow and next week.
I know the staff are often the last to hear, but still!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Is there an authoritative source for this story? The staff have not been told and believe that they will still be open tomorrow and next week.
I know the staff are often the last to hear, but still!
The only authoritative source is Javier, and you won't get Jack from him.

Heard this from another source.
Club closes tonight until further notice.
Thing might happen next week....
If you get a drink down there tomorrow, they are both wrong.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Still open yesterday and will be open today
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

I know a lot of my friends on here like one of our favorite tapas bars, which we called Grannies Kitchen, opposite El Choco. Unfortunately it has closed, and I spoke to Sergio who ran it when it was the original Quitepena and he said he was hoping to open in September.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:31 am
BE Positive

I posted about this resto in CastroM... post 1483 https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayam.../#post12649330

I heard recently that it will close at the end of the month..... So only a few days left if you fancy their food

Jon
Old Aug 21st 2019, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame. We had a delicious Fondue Bourginonne in there in early July.
Food was great but we were the only customers on a Friday evening. The proprietor unfortunately only spoke French and some Portuguese and his staff only Portuguese - no Spanish or English. I know it is arrogant to expect others to speak English but communication was a bit difficult although the boss and staff were all delightful.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 6:43 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
What a shame. We had a delicious Fondue Bourginonne in there in early July.
Food was great but we were the only customers on a Friday evening. The proprietor unfortunately only spoke French and some Portuguese and his staff only Portuguese - no Spanish or English. I know it is arrogant to expect others to speak English but communication was a bit difficult although the boss and staff were all delightful.
We are lucky to have a plethora of restos around our region on both sides of the border. But this is an 'atypical' resto, and nice to have as an option, I doubt if we will have a Swiss themed resto again. I really thought the mobile homes that are in CM would have helped business, but the BH thinks that the price range was perhaps too high. Yes a shame that this will close, great food, a bit unique and really good service from people who tried really hard to deliver - and actually succeeded at that.

Lets hope the medieval festival will give them a good farewell boost to business https://www.visitportugal.com/en/node/155932

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.