Restaurants

Old Mar 7th 2019, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Looking forward to catching up as ever - and lets try it together.

Looks like the pancakes got soggy the day before Ash Wednesday!

Jon

PS I just got a PM saying that its best to book in advance as its been a hit, especially as its the carnival season/holidays and as you say there are lots of campers there. The Raclette may have to be ordered in advance. So best to check up front

I just googled the resto to find out more info here https://de-de.facebook.com/Restaurante-Casa-Chatelain-419434268793840/

Note
closed Sunday/Monday.
are you sure about trying it together?!🥴
Old Mar 8th 2019, 5:44 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

are you sure about trying it together?!🥴
Of course, it was your idea initially and sounds like a 'jolly good idea', to add another resto to our already long list together ☺️🥘

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 8th 2019 at 5:48 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:53 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I received this from the new Casa Chatelain resto (mentioned in the last few posts) . They have a couple of 'do's' coming up, a musical evening with what looks like a singing duo and a guitar night. 3 and 18 April. With an all inclusive menu, drinks included, and a good way to try the fondue. 25Eur pp. I like all fondues but the fondue Vigneronne is IMO the best and you can try it with 2 meats

I do recommend you book in advance if interested. Details attached...

Jon
Attached Files
Old May 19th 2019, 9:45 am
BE Positive

MONTE GORDO. I mention below 'in the area' as I think MG to say Isla Christina to Alcoutim is in our 'easy noshing-catchment-area' perhaps as far as Tavira.

We returned to the O Tapas resto in Monte Gordo yesterday. Great place usually packed with also great friendly service. They have a set menu all included, choice of starter, main, desert & drinks. E.g a bottle of wine included for 2. We had delicious cockles in garlic oil (yum), the best tuna steak I've had in ages (i.e not overcooked like we normally get even though we ask for it medium rare) deserts, coffee.

This menu is at the 'summer price' 15€ all in. Off season price 10€. I dont know if it was the price, but it was the most empty we've seen it, especially on a Saturday lunch. About 25% occupancy. Everybody else was doing a la carte. With delicious looking fish dishes (mainly). This must be one of the top fish restos in our area. We normally recommend this resto as a place to eat with friends, as it has a great buzz.

We also noticed the Royal Thai resto next to the pedestrian part. Im guessing its pretty new as I dont remember it before. Will definitely try it today, I have been Thai food crazy this year!

We looked into the newish Wow sushi resto. Unlimited sushi lunch buffet 13.99€. However we decided to eat at Osaka instead. Its a favourite for us, unlimited food - each plate made to order (ie not buffet) 30 sushi, sashimi, rolls... But for non sushi lovers, about 30 dishes like noodles, teriyaki chicken, rices, cooked seafood etc. About 5 deserts. Amazing value for money! 11.90€ / 14.90€ lunch / dinner. A fantastic Borba white wine for 6.50€ bottle that pairs so well with sushi.

The best steak resto in the area is on the pedestrian area but mentioned previously Galo Negro opens evenings only from 18:30, this may change in high season. For special occasions, as you have to pay for this amazing quality meat.

The best breakfast in the area is at the Vasco da Gama hotel. 07:30 - 10:30. Non residents welcome, but pay at reception first....huge unlimited selection, English and continental for a fantastic price 7.50€. Fresh OJ.

2 great Indian/Nepalese restos Maya and Maharajah Patiala are there too. There are other places to have a Ruby as well, but these are our favourites.

We haven't tried the boardwalk restos yet as we already have so many great choices already in MG.

All these restos are easily found via Google and also mapped.

Note free parking till end May, and all are an easy stroll from each other.

Happy noshing, and a Thai sunday lunch to come, with lots of chilli for me! Yum!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 19th 2019 at 9:53 am.
Old May 19th 2019, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
MONTE GORDO. I mention below 'in the area' as I think MG to say Isla Christina to Alcoutim is in our 'easy noshing-catchment-area' perhaps as far as Tavira.

We returned to the O Tapas resto in Monte Gordo yesterday. Great place usually packed with also great friendly service. They have a set menu all included, choice of starter, main, desert & drinks. E.g a bottle of wine included for 2. We had delicious cockles in garlic oil (yum), the best tuna steak I've had in ages (i.e not overcooked like we normally get even though we ask for it medium rare) deserts, coffee.

This menu is at the 'summer price' 15€ all in. Off season price 10€. I dont know if it was the price, but it was the most empty we've seen it, especially on a Saturday lunch. About 25% occupancy. Everybody else was doing a la carte. With delicious looking fish dishes (mainly). This must be one of the top fish restos in our area. We normally recommend this resto as a place to eat with friends, as it has a great buzz.

We also noticed the Royal Thai resto next to the pedestrian part. Im guessing its pretty new as I dont remember it before. Will definitely try it today, I have been Thai food crazy this year!

We looked into the newish Wow sushi resto. Unlimited sushi lunch buffet 13.99€. However we decided to eat at Osaka instead. Its a favourite for us, unlimited food - each plate made to order (ie not buffet) 30 sushi, sashimi, rolls... But for non sushi lovers, about 30 dishes like noodles, teriyaki chicken, rices, cooked seafood etc. About 5 deserts. Amazing value for money! 11.90€ / 14.90€ lunch / dinner. A fantastic Borba white wine for 6.50€ bottle that pairs so well with sushi.

The best steak resto in the area is on the pedestrian area but mentioned previously Galo Negro opens evenings only from 18:30, this may change in high season. For special occasions, as you have to pay for this amazing quality meat.

The best breakfast in the area is at the Vasco da Gama hotel. 07:30 - 10:30. Non residents welcome, but pay at reception first....huge unlimited selection, English and continental for a fantastic price 7.50€. Fresh OJ.

2 great Indian/Nepalese restos Maya and Maharajah Patiala are there too. There are other places to have a Ruby as well, but these are our favourites.

We haven't tried the boardwalk restos yet as we already have so many great choices already in MG.

All these restos are easily found via Google and also mapped.

Note free parking till end May, and all are an easy stroll from each other.

Happy noshing, and a Thai sunday lunch to come, with lots of chilli for me! Yum!

Jon
We love Thai to the extent we have been travelling to Royal Leamington Spa to our favourite but also found one in Braunton but not quite as good. Report soonest!
Old May 20th 2019, 9:27 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

We love Thai to the extent we have been travelling to Royal Leamington Spa to our favourite but also found one in Braunton but not quite as good. Report soonest!
Update on Monte Gordo: Thai + steak restos

Gosh EsuriJohn we cooked you both a Thai once, thank goodness we didn't know and have the pressure of cooking to connoisseurs

Royal Thai Here I am a little nervous. We met the lovely owner a Nepalese-Thai called Bobita. Her young child passed by with her grandma, dressed as a princess and said hi. They are a nice family. So please don't take my word for this - we all have different tastes.

I think you should try it yourself, but I have to say that it didn't work for us personally. We are spoiled as we only found this year the best Thai resto I've tried outside Thailand, only 35mins walk from our place in Belgium. So I've been in Thai heaven this year. For me the 'taste' starts before the plate hits the table. You can smell a good Thai meal coming, with those lovely aromas and fragrances. We did try the menu, 3 courses + 1 drink 11eur. Perhaps the a la carte has more choice and options. I should be less of a cheapskate

As for Galo Negro. I said it was open evenings only. Whilst at the Thai we bumped into good friends who were lunching there. So it IS open (sometimes) at lunch. Perhaps at weekends? Please phone first and check, preferably the evening before. They don't mention any lunchtime hours on their sign, evenings only. I think this is maybe an error. They loved their meal, which they took on the terrace.

Sawadee

Jon

PS there used to be a Thai in MG on the seaside walk run by an English guy. But by order only. IS that still going? If so any contact info would be appreciated
Old May 22nd 2019, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PS there used to be a Thai in MG on the seaside walk run by an English guy. But by order only. IS that still going? If so any contact info would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

hi Jon

That Resto was run by “take away Ray” who is a member at the golf club. He is a great guy but described by some as a bandit on the course. You will know him. He was still open over the winter but only by appointment. Word was he was by himself so it was as slow as ever however the food was great!

We had lunch at the last Resto on the new boardwalk before the fisherman’s canteen and who should serve us but Anna ex GC. She told us she was leaving in spring to join “take away” at the Thai. If that had happened she will shake up front of house and give Ray the time to cook should be an improvement all round.
Old May 22nd 2019, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, Regarding Indian / Nepalise restos I keep seeing mention of the maya and the mah. Patiala. Not tried the Maya myself, but have used the patiala several times. We don't use this anymore since the TAJ MAHAL opened over a year ago in Rue Fernando,MG, a sidestreet opposite the main beach car park coming from vrsa. Behind the Dutch place on corner. (Previously was a Chinese resto). We tend to go once a week whilst at CE. The food / flavours are fantastic. Whilst you can go a la carte,I reckon the best value is the set meal choice at 11 euros. Popadoms, starter, main course, coffee OR sweet, plus glass of house wine or beer. Limited choice, but I tend to go for either the bhuna or the jalfrezi. Flavours much better than the Patiala IMO. Family owned - nepalise- very nice people. PS, when you get inside you have to ask for the set menu, otherwise you are given the a la carte menu, which is much more expensive and no better, plus portion sizes are the same. The glass of wine included is never enough, hence additional glasses are 2 e each or a carafe was quite cheap I recall. You won't be disappointed !!!!! PS, As is often the case in Nepalise resto's the Onion Bhajis are the flat style, more like a Pakora rather than the balls we see in the UK. Good flavour though.
Old May 23rd 2019, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

After a recommendation by an Indian guy we played golf with. A group of us have been going to The Indian Farmer in Cabanas, Its on the front near the school. The food is superb. They have a sister restaurant called the Indian Kitchen, this near the Alfresco English shop near Benamor Golf club. The Farmer has recently been completely renovated
Old May 26th 2019, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The 'Punjab' in Tavira is also an excellent restaurant - it even has a mini offshoot beside the river where you can eat good Indian food alfresco.
Old May 27th 2019, 8:13 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by guesswork
After a recommendation by an Indian guy we played golf with. A group of us have been going to The Indian Farmer in Cabanas, Its on the front near the school. The food is superb. They have a sister restaurant called the Indian Kitchen, this near the Alfresco English shop near Benamor Golf club. The Farmer has recently been completely renovated
Thanks GW for the recommendation, we went with friends yesterday and had a very good time.

The food was excellent. For example the best Nans and pilau rice weve had in ES/PT. The BH said it was the best curry she has had outside our favourite places in the UK. Friends were delighted.

One tiny caveat though. This wont apply to you if you like mild/medium curries. I like it hot and asked them to cook it with chillies, they said they would. But bought some hot sauce on the side. For me this is a typical 'fudge'. Luckily the owner Ram, was there, he has 6 restos from Albuferia to Cabanas, and is obviously not there all the time. He saw that I was a tad disappointed, and immediately personally cooked a new one properly. Great service and hopefully they now know my taste.

It is a bit more expensive, eg you pay for the pickle tray, but a great Ruby... worth a few bob more!!

Jon

PS the owner regularly goes to India and brings back the 'good stuff' from there
Old May 30th 2019, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

BarbCPT is an unknown quantity at this point

Been meaning to post our experience at the new Italian restaurant located behind the Town Hall, next door to the shoe shop. It’s called Anyma (short for Ana and Masimo, the owners, but also means “anima” or “soul”) The food is all freshly prepared and superb. Service is friendly and efficient. Prices are very reasonable, i.e. a main dish like lasagne is 8€. Other dishes less. We’ve been there three times now and thoroughly enjoyed each visit. 😀 Guve them a try, you won’t be disappointed!
Old Jun 1st 2019, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BarbCPT
Been meaning to post our experience at the new Italian restaurant located behind the Town Hall, next door to the shoe shop. It’s called Anyma (short for Ana and Masimo, the owners, but also means “anima” or “soul”) The food is all freshly prepared and superb. Service is friendly and efficient. Prices are very reasonable, i.e. a main dish like lasagne is 8€. Other dishes less. We’ve been there three times now and thoroughly enjoyed each visit. 😀 Guve them a try, you won’t be disappointed!
i agree. Food is excellent and staff very friendly. They used to have a restaurant in (I think) Isla Canela) and live in Esuri.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
i agree. Food is excellent and staff very friendly. They used to have a restaurant in (I think) Isla Canela) and live in Esuri.
Kath I messaged you about the fish rest did you see it John?
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Etoman60 is an unknown quantity at this point

We think the Kohinoor is better having tried both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.