Restaurants

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 19H and 'Solar Panel' resto

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks for that - I am no good at searching!

Have fun in CE

Jon
Still a brilliant map though you must be good with Google!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 6:28 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monte Francisco resto's

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Still a brilliant map though you must be good with Google!
Thanks John. Also since doing the map there is yet another resto there! Directly opposite the ' wooden waiter - Cacadores' she has 1/2 dishes of the day, freshly bought in the morning depending on what she feels is best. I asked the day before what she would have, she couldn't answer. Which was a big thumbs up for me proving that it was indeed freshly bought on the morning.

Let's make a date to to to the suckling pig restored Barraida (sp) but at a weekend - if it looks empty we can carry on to O Cyclista for a repeat of that amazing steak we had. Both mentioned a few posts ago. Or 'Tres Palmeras' just past the Tavira-Continente commercial centre for unlimited freshly caught/cooked fish straight off the barbie!

Jon

Mmmmmm getting hungry especially after a month of dieting!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice
Default Re: Restaurants

OK probably a silly question but here goes and it's aimed at the foodies amongst you. I am bringing three mates over for golf and we have decided to stay in Portugal this time. Problem is one of them has very fond memories of breakfasting in Laguna Square and having tostada (tomato pulp and olive oil on toast) followed by churros from the kiosk. Question is, does anything similar exist in Portugal??
Old Jan 13th 2016, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

glaisboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi has anyone tried the New Italian resto which was known as the Argentinian Restaurant at the top end of Ayamonte.I believe the owners are from The Bella Napoli next to The sugar Reef. I am out at the end of Jan and I will be trying a few new eateries,reading the reviews are helpful so keep them coming.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by glaisboy
Hi has anyone tried the New Italian resto which was known as the Argentinian Restaurant at the top end of Ayamonte.I believe the owners are from The Bella Napoli next to The sugar Reef. I am out at the end of Jan and I will be trying a few new eateries,reading the reviews are helpful so keep them coming.
Not myself but a group went on Sunday and the reports so far are favourable.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyS
OK probably a silly question but here goes and it's aimed at the foodies amongst you. I am bringing three mates over for golf and we have decided to stay in Portugal this time. Problem is one of them has very fond memories of breakfasting in Laguna Square and having tostada (tomato pulp and olive oil on toast) followed by churros from the kiosk. Question is, does anything similar exist in Portugal??
If you are staying anywhere near VRSA or CM then you could always get the ferry across and have breakfast in Laguna Square.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, I have never seen the Portuguese eat their morning tostada with oil & tomato, just jam. He could do this himself of course, make some toast using gorgeous Portuguese bread, halve a fresh tomato and rub it into the toast (this is how the Spanish do it at home) and then drizzle oil over it. To make it really special put slivers of jamon iberico on top.

As for churros, you can buy them frozen in Mercadona + pouches of the thick chocolate too, but not sure about Portugal. Regards Bryony
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi, I have never seen the Portuguese eat their morning tostada with oil & tomato, just jam. He could do this himself of course, make some toast using gorgeous Portuguese bread, halve a fresh tomato and rub it into the toast (this is how the Spanish do it at home) and then drizzle oil over it. To make it really special put slivers of jamon iberico on top.

As for churros, you can buy them frozen in Mercadona + pouches of the thick chocolate too, but not sure about Portugal. Regards Bryony
Thanks for that Bryony, I like the idea of the jamon. Good tip about Mercadona as well.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

You must ask for farturas instead of churros.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carol&John
You must ask for farturas instead of churros.
Well thank you, that is going to make my friend a very happy bunny (and me too). Do they sell them from kiosks in a similar way they do in Ayamonte?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you, that is going to make my friend a very happy bunny (and me too). Do they sell them from kiosks in a similar way they do in Ayamonte?
There is sometimes a kiosk in the main square in VRSA which sells farturas.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeJ
There is sometimes a kiosk in the main square in VRSA which sells farturas.
Thanks, we're actually going to be staying at Vale do Lobo but will keep my eyes open when we go into the local towns.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, look for kiosk signs saying "farturas, churros, porras, and waffles".
Now, the difference between all 4 will be the shape and size.

Some are thick (porras) and can be filled with a creamy custard, or left for you to apply your own sugar and cinnamon. Some are thinner and shaped into loops, rings, or sticks.

See what's on offer, or watch what other people are ordering. I would order from the most popular kiosk. That way I can only guess the oil is fresh.

You will want your farturas to be freshly prepared. So watch them being made. Then you can carry them to a cafe and eat them with a coffee. You may dunk them .

This is a sweet, breakfast food, but in the evenings the same kiosks may be serving savory snacks (freshly prepared crisps or chips).

If the mods allow it, here is an interesting article about algarvian foods (with a good photo of different churros):
Food & Wine Travel Guide to Algarve | Catavino | Spanish wine, Portuguese wine and a whole lot more

hth
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Yes, look for kiosk signs saying "farturas, churros, porras, and waffles".
Now, the difference between all 4 will be the shape and size.

Some are thick (porras) and can be filled with a creamy custard, or left for you to apply your own sugar and cinnamon. Some are thinner and shaped into loops, rings, or sticks.

See what's on offer, or watch what other people are ordering. I would order from the most popular kiosk. That way I can only guess the oil is fresh.

You will want your farturas to be freshly prepared. So watch them being made. Then you can carry them to a cafe and eat them with a coffee. You may dunk them .

This is a sweet, breakfast food, but in the evenings the same kiosks may be serving savory snacks (freshly prepared crisps or chips).

If the mods allow it, here is an interesting article about algarvian foods (with a good photo of different churros):
Food & Wine Travel Guide to Algarve | Catavino | Spanish wine, Portuguese wine and a whole lot more

hth
You are a mine of useful information, thanks so much.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Restaurants

NEW Tapas Bar!!!

Found this new Tapas Bar in Calle JOSE PEREZ BARROSO No 16 opposite El Jamon next door to Maison and it is outstanding! All the usual tapas and some new ones including a " jam" to dip the most amazing croquettes patates in.

TABERNA EL CALLEJON mine host is Vili a delightful Bulgarian lady and as you would expect for a grumpy old man the prices are unbelievable (low of course)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.