Restaurants

Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:13 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by guesswork
They are reopening mid March

There has been a staff change at the golf club and I heard 2 independent reports at the weekend that was very good. This was meals and not snacks as well
Blimey! I knew the 19H was closing before Xmas (as posted) but didn't realise it would be for so long! I suspect the chef found another job - he needed one, and was good IMO.... and I hope in 2015 19H can provide a good overall service and great and well-needed alternative/option to the GC... no more teething problems. We did have one of our best fish meals ever one Sunday at 19H - turbot, delicious from that good chef.

Also for the GC - good that there are positive reports about the changes... they seem to have managed to 'remake' the GC as a 'social centre' for CE, all year round, as was part of their hope at the start. Also hope that they have fixed their teething problems.

Lets hope for some good food on CE from both 19H and GC.... and perhaps more! (Thai? - any news?)

BTW So far 2015 has started well, CERA are doing a good job IMO - we have new EUC rules, cleanup, the bus mayors meeting(s) and postbox. Even though the social side is a secondary priority IMO - CERA have organised some really interesting social events too, e.g that walk around CE sounded great, sorry we missed it (and calendars, photos, bingo etc etc)

If we improve every year then it can only be good for everyone residents, 2nd homeowners and guests alike.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 9th 2015 at 8:19 am.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mitto is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone been to the big Chinese restaurant recently...I think it's called the big house or something? Also the location of it would be helpful please.

Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you give us a clue by what you mean by THE BIG CHINESE ???? What big chinese? There is a good one we tried at LEPE last year but i would have to drive around the place to find it again. There are several in MG but not yet tried them personally.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wife just reminded me. There is a big chino resto travelling out from lepe towards cartaya. As you approach the roundabout before the showrooms and industrial units it is on the left next to the bigger branch of LAMPARAS. We have not yet got around to trying this, but has anyone else actually tried it ?.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

It IS called the Big House and is on the outskirts of Cartaya as described. It is big - the downstairs is buffet style and the upstairs is a la carte menu. We enjoyed it when we have been and we are quite fussy about our Chinese eating. Probably will be using it more now the Chino in town has closed.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you go to the buffet style or the full ala carte?? Or can you recommend either? Cheers keith.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mitto is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes exactly my thoughts now we no longer have our Ayamonte Chinese. Thanks for the info, I will give it a try next time I'm over.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I have only tried the buffet & well worth it , lunch for 2 with a couple of beers about 25 euros if I remember correctly
They have a sushi station , a good selection of fish & meat which is cooked for you & also the usual help yourself dishes. I don't remember any duck but we have missed it, the restaurant is quite big, nice water feature & pond in the middle of the restaurant
Well worth a visit
Chris
Old Feb 21st 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

We've only dined upstairs in the a la carte - good menu and the food was pretty good too. The waiters spoke some English and were very helpful - the service was reasonably quick and the price ISTR was not excessive. All-in-all a very pleasant dining experience
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

There is of course the Chinese at Isla Canela. Food ok prices good but totally devoid of atmosphere when we have been there!
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

If you mean the one on the beachfront, i walked in and back out. Canteen seating / tables and bright flourescent lighting. Hmmmm lovely. (NOT)
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by keithBT
If you mean the one on the beachfront, i walked in and back out. Canteen seating / tables and bright flourescent lighting. Hmmmm lovely. (NOT)
Yes that's the one canteen describes it well. We had children with us who wanted Chinese so we went in and stayed just the five of us on our own. The food was good and the portions very generous, I asked for crispy duck and I got very nearly the whole dam duck which was ok since everyone decided to share. However we ran out of pancakes and there was not a waiter in sight and we could not attract one despite shouting in a most refined way as the English do!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 22nd 2015 at 2:51 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is, of course, at least 1 Chinese resto in VRSA and 3 (Thai/Chinese) in Monte Gordo. I believe Jon BXL has reviewed one(some) of them - could try a thread search. The MG ones have good reviews on tripadvisor but I can't say I have tried them myself. Shorter journey than the Big House and cheaper taxi if you like a sip with dinner

Last edited by MikeJ; Feb 22nd 2015 at 4:29 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeJ
There is, of course, at least 1 Chinese resto in VRSA and 3 (Thai/Chinese) in Monte Gordo. I believe Jon BXL has reviewed one(some) of them - could try a thread search. The MG ones have good reviews on tripadvisor but I can't say I have tried them myself. Shorter journey than the Big House and cheaper taxi if you like a sip with dinner
We had the buffet lunch at the Chinese retaurant in VRSA last year. Sadly I can't remember what it was called (old age strikes!) but the food was good and was in smallcontainers so the staff kept replenishing and the food was therefore freshly cooked and hot. The restaurant is quite near the Vodafone shop. Good value and we will go back. it's nearer than Cartaya / Lepe.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:23 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
We had the buffet lunch at the Chinese retaurant in VRSA last year. Sadly I can't remember what it was called (old age strikes!) but the food was good and was in smallcontainers so the staff kept replenishing and the food was therefore freshly cooked and hot. The restaurant is quite near the Vodafone shop. Good value and we will go back. it's nearer than Cartaya / Lepe.
They have a lunch menu for around 8Eur all-you-can-eat with some sushi. A bit more in the evenings. I think its called Fu Cheng, but may have got my consonants in a twist

There is also a fixed price - something like 6Eur - for a take out container you can fill with anything on the buffet and take home. I reckon it would even feed two who aren't super hungry. Though like we often get with Chinese, a couple of hours later you can be hungry again.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.