Restaurants

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

I would like to strongly recommend a great 'Asiatic resto'. The best in the area IMO... depending...

On a cold, grey and windy day we decided to discover the good new commercial centre in Huelva and check out Leroy's and 'Pri-mani' ... et al.

However we thought we'd explore a bit too and stumbled onto 'The Wok Restaurant'. An amazing selection of all-you-can-eat food. We rate it above 'The big house'; ours in Ayamonte (name forgotten); Fu-cheng ....and .... depending on how important sushi is better than even Banzai. If sushi is what you want more of, go to Banzai. (I am pretty addicted to sushi)

There was a HUGE selection of fresh and pre-cooked food. Build-your-own for the plancha, with some great fish and meat. The steaks were succulent (my OH had one and it was delicious) and there were lamb chops too! The prawns were BIG too, not the 'piddly ones' you see. There were even frogs legs and langoustines.

Build-your-own for the wok. Good selection of fresh meat and veg. Cooked to order with sauce of your choice.

Some sushi, nice but you can't expect a lot for that price. Premade curries, rice + noodles choices etc. A Spanish section, patatas bravas etc.

Selection of deserts

Even a Jamon for you to take all you want - you pay a lot for that alone in town.

Directions:

Take M-Way direction Seville. After the bridge with the single span in the middle turn off to Hueva Norte. Go over about 4 roundabouts.

Look for the green McDonalds sign - you actually want to go to the McDo.

(There is a big r-bout with a repsol on it. This is the one you turn left to for the commercial centre, looking for the El Corte Ingles sign on the horizon, which you pass to get to the CC.) I think the Mcdo sign is there - but to the right. Anyway the goal for the resto is to follow McDo.

The McDo is in a precinct with an Aldi at one end and a LIDL at the other end. Go towards Aldi and the Wok resto is next door.

Lunchtime 10 Euro total. House white, quaffable (not so dry, though) but fine with the sushi or spicy food, only 5.20 a bottle!

Go for it! Nice way to make a day of all-you-want-eating, quaffing ........ and shopping

Jon
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I would like to strongly recommend a great 'Asiatic resto'. The best in the area IMO... depending...

On a cold, grey and windy day we decided to discover the good new commercial centre in Huelva and check out Leroy's and 'Pri-mani' ... et al.

However we thought we'd explore a bit too and stumbled onto 'The Wok Restaurant'. An amazing selection of all-you-can-eat food. We rate it above 'The big house'; ours in Ayamonte (name forgotten); Fu-cheng ....and .... depending on how important sushi is better than even Banzai. If sushi is what you want more of, go to Banzai. (I am pretty addicted to sushi)

There was a HUGE selection of fresh and pre-cooked food. Build-your-own for the plancha, with some great fish and meat. The steaks were succulent (my OH had one and it was delicious) and there were lamb chops too! The prawns were BIG too, not the 'piddly ones' you see. There were even frogs legs and langoustines.

Build-your-own for the wok. Good selection of fresh meat and veg. Cooked to order with sauce of your choice.

Some sushi, nice but you can't expect a lot for that price. Premade curries, rice + noodles choices etc. A Spanish section, patatas bravas etc.

Selection of deserts

Even a Jamon for you to take all you want - you pay a lot for that alone in town.

Directions:

Take M-Way direction Seville. After the bridge with the single span in the middle turn off to Hueva Norte. Go over about 4 roundabouts.

Look for the green McDonalds sign - you actually want to go to the McDo.

(There is a big r-bout with a repsol on it. This is the one you turn left to for the commercial centre, looking for the El Corte Ingles sign on the horizon, which you pass to get to the CC.) I think the Mcdo sign is there - but to the right. Anyway the goal for the resto is to follow McDo.

The McDo is in a precinct with an Aldi at one end and a LIDL at the other end. Go towards Aldi and the Wok resto is next door.

Lunchtime 10 Euro total. House white, quaffable (not so dry, though) but fine with the sushi or spicy food, only 5.20 a bottle!

Go for it! Nice way to make a day of all-you-want-eating, quaffing ........ and shopping

Jon

Jon,

Brilliant - many thanks. Sounds great . Probably quicker to take the first exit off the motorway to Huelva, passing Corales on the left and on across the long bridge. At the roundabout, McD's is immediately to the right.

FredR
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:47 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred R
Jon,

Brilliant - many thanks. Sounds great . Probably quicker to take the first exit off the motorway to Huelva, passing Corales on the left and on across the long bridge. At the roundabout, McD's is immediately to the right.

FredR
Thanks Fred we don't go to Huelva much and can get 'turned around' - this is handy
Jon
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

[QUOTE=Fred R;11201141]Jon,

FredR[/QUOTE
I think that sounds like the wrong McDonalds. Anyway, having been lost and nearly giving up on finding Leroy Merlin. I can post a GPS for the one at the new shopping centre N37.270809 W6.917871
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=olivia;11202854]
Originally Posted by Fred R
Jon,

FredR[/QUOTE
I think that sounds like the wrong McDonalds. Anyway, having been lost and nearly giving up on finding Leroy Merlin. I can post a GPS for the one at the new shopping centre N37.270809 W6.917871
Yes that is the wrong McDonalds, the one you want is at the new Shopping Complex where Carrefour is just past the Hospitals.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Positive

[QUOTE=MikeCol;11202864]
Originally Posted by olivia

Yes that is the wrong McDonalds, the one you want is at the new Shopping Complex where Carrefour is just past the Hospitals.
Blimey those McDo's get everywhere! Maybe in Ayamonte one day too !!! So if you follow the directions in the first post I made, 721, you'll find it - (the WOK resto) - as its the route we took.

The post also gives directions to the new shopping centre in Huelva, as well - for those that haven't been there yet

There wont be much in it anyway.

Thanks

Jon
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

char272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nicechar272 is just really nice

Any update on vv opening ?????
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:17 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by char272
Any update on vv opening ?????
According to JM, work has now completed, and its down to our wonderful town hall to finalise permissions and then some people will get out of the unemployment queue. They dont have a good record of moving fast with the paperwork....

JOn
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Positive

A Belgian friend and CE resident recommended a good resto, and we ate there this week.

Part of Associacao Naval do Guadiana in VRSA. Porto de Recreio do Guadiana. It's the resto right next door to the ferry terminal. Imagine you are coming out of the ferry terminal turn immediately left and its next door, modern with big terrace and also on the river.

My friend had a nice big grilled salmon fillet, with ...... (wait for it)..... fresh vegetables! Carrots, potatoes and broccoli.

I had a favourite of mine Picanha, Brazilian style i.e with black beans in a sauce with lardons. This is some nice pieces of tender steak cooked on a pan, slight char. Hmmmmmmm. With crispy onions, chips rice and broccoli. Less fresh veg for me but I wasn't expecting much.

We had a nice house white which was eminently quaffable!

Nice views - good prices around +/- 10Eur main course, and portion sizes (couldn't finish all of mine) and worth a visit.

Bon appetit!
Jon
www.anguadiana.com for info around the port area and celebrations up-and-coming... and the resto is at the top of the map on this page http://www.anguadiana.com/index.php/marina
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

A & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
A Belgian friend and CE resident recommended a good resto, and we ate there this week.

Part of Associacao Naval do Guadiana in VRSA. Porto de Recreio do Guadiana. It's the resto right next door to the ferry terminal. Imagine you are coming out of the ferry terminal turn immediately left and its next door, modern with big terrace and also on the river.

My friend had a nice big grilled salmon fillet, with ...... (wait for it)..... fresh vegetables! Carrots, potatoes and broccoli.

I had a favourite of mine Picanha, Brazilian style i.e with black beans in a sauce with lardons. This is some nice pieces of tender steak cooked on a pan, slight char. Hmmmmmmm. With crispy onions, chips rice and broccoli. Less fresh veg for me but I wasn't expecting much.

We had a nice house white which was eminently quaffable!

Nice views - good prices around +/- 10Eur main course, and portion sizes (couldn't finish all of mine) and worth a visit.

Bon appetit!
Jon
www.anguadiana.com for info around the port area and celebrations up-and-coming... and the resto is at the top of the map on this page http://www.anguadiana.com/index.php/marina
We can definitely endorse Jon's recommendation. Consistently good, and always full of Portuguese diners (a good sign). Monkfish kebabs are particularly good. They usually seem to put obvious estrangeiros like us on the "best" tables, directly overlooking the Guadiana.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:17 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by A & M
We can definitely endorse Jon's recommendation. Consistently good, and always full of Portuguese diners (a good sign). Monkfish kebabs are particularly good. They usually seem to put obvious estrangeiros like us on the "best" tables, directly overlooking the Guadiana.
I received an email from friends that gives a lot more useful info on this resto... for privacy purposes Ive taken out the names - and I hope its OK to post from the email anonymously....

We will go a few more times to be sure, but this looks like to be one of the top 5 restos in the area, IMO, if they continue the good food, prices and of course the views are great.

Jon

.......... we went to the restaurant in VRSA beside the ferry port. XXXX ordered the Espetada Tamboril (Monkfish Kebab) – big portion, good for 2 pax. (Another table has ordered same as a starter between 3! Followed by cataplana – where do they put it all?!) Yummy, served with a large, grilled, green pepper, roasted tomato, roasted potato slices, etc. YYYY had the grilled swordfish. Again a large fish portion (not as large as the monkfish kebab), served with freshly cooked veg (carrots, broccoli, boiled potato). I ordered the dish of the day which on Saturday always appears to be grilled Carapau (Horse Mackerel) served with fresh salad and boiled potatoes (4 pieces of fish, and only 8 euros). Great shout, Jon! Thank you.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:22 am
BE Positive

.......... And I got a photo of it from another friend... attached...

Great that the forum posts are being read... and actioned !

Jon

PS Absolutely no commercial connection with this resto, and it was actually recommended by a friend, so I don't claim 'the find'!
Attached Thumbnails Restaurants-20140415_150932.jpg  
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Positive

Ok another resto this time in Spain.

Recommended by friends on CE (and forum members) who took us there. We returned a few days later on a Sunday.

I forget the name - but its v. easy to find.

Take the road to Isla Christina, IC, (south of the M-Way)... or take the MWay to the IC turn off.

Drive Straight PAST the IC turn off, away from Ayamonte, and in about 100/200m or so on the right is a HUGE resto. Cant miss it.

Freshly grilled fish and meat from the BBQ and an A la carte as well. Good prices etc. With friends mid week we had a huge mixed grill platter to share (eat till you drop!) ... and a very nice Mahou beer, that we personally prefer to the usual (but nice) Gruzcampo/Amstel we find everywhere. Of course the house wines are a steal and v quaffable.

We personally recommend Sunday lunch there in the resto... as it was just the 2 of us. But any time with a group. There are several areas including a function room for maybe a party or a golfers do?? We were actually seriously discussing organising a 'do' there. Also outside seating under a beautiful huge tree when its a bit warmer.

The resto on the Sunday we went was packed with locals so we were the only non-Spanish there - and that was great. Good service, quantities and prices...

Also a menu dal dia on weekdays

Happy munchin'... and ....

Jon
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

irismary is an unknown quantity at this point

Jon, I can´t follow the directions you give to the Restaurante Wok. Where were you when you started "take the M-way direction Seville"?
There are four restaurants in Huelva with `Wok´in their names, and Google says that the one just called Restaurante Wok is on Calle Trigueros, in San Juan del Puerto, out of Huelva, and just south of the motorway.Is that it?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irismary
Jon, I can´t follow the directions you give to the Restaurante Wok. Where were you when you started "take the M-way direction Seville"?
There are four restaurants in Huelva with `Wok´in their names, and Google says that the one just called Restaurante Wok is on Calle Trigueros, in San Juan del Puerto, out of Huelva, and just south of the motorway.Is that it?
It's called Dim sum Wok and it's in the food mall in the new shopping centre near Leroy Merlin and Carrefour. Located near the hospitals

If you go on Leroy or Carrefour websites you will probably find a map

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.