Restaurants

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
No Internet cafe as yet although there was a signal called LuPi available but no log on at the moment. The internet if it happens will be in the cafe cake shop at the front and that is the next project.

The ownership of Vista Verdi is vested in the 49 villas which surround it and this is a project being organised and run by and for the community. There are still changes to make such as relocating the kitchen downstairs but I am sure that will happen over time. The President and VP are driving this forward and are about to let a contract for the management of the venue so I would not be surprised to see movement before Christmas.
I would personally be happy not to have an internet cafe there, and keep it a bar, resto and mini shop. But that's just a viewpoint, he will continue to get our support whatever he does

I realise that VV is a community project. Its great that the community of villas are moving this forward, they have to of course. I know the president is very positive and will do a good job .... but that's just a piece of the puzzle - important as it is. There is still a whole lot more to do, involving the authorities, who don't appear business friendly, and I think there are other issues as well.

No-one will be happier than me to see this succeed... and they will get some good wonga from me!

Will discuss over a beer, if I can get you to talk about anything else than your lovely grandaughter that is

Jon
Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Just to make Jon and all the other LuPi cognoscenti jealous we have had three excellent lunches this week (due to intensive preparations for the arrival of our first grandchild next week). As we were leaving today Luis announced that tomorrow's special is Black Pork Grill yummy and on Sunday he is going to cook Ox Tail Stew which will do me just nicely.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Just in case you think Monte Fransico has only one restaurant to offer there are at least 5 all together.

3 Of them are on the road parallel to Lupi's restaurant.

I was at the Maihak ... Indian restaurant last night and it was good and a pleasant change.

On Sunday this weekend is the Monte Fransico festival for Francis Assisi... got to be worth a visit.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encodeme
Just in case you think Monte Fransico has only one restaurant to offer there are at least 5 all together.

I was at the Maihak ... Indian restaurant last night and it was good and a pleasant change.

On Sunday this weekend is the Monte Fransico festival for Francis Assisi... got to be worth a visit.
That explains what the two old dears were doing walking toward the old school on the r/about loaded with cleaning materials and flowers. We knew it was used for Sunday service at 5pm.

With regard to the restaurants we are gobsmacked at the sheer no of eating places in such a small town. We have tried most except perhaps the Indian which appeared whilst we were away this summer.

The biggest puzzle is the largest and grandest of them all on the r/about opposite the school which has been closed for at least 7 years. Why when the others are so popular and MF is becoming a gourmet destination.

We have had good meals in all the restaurants but not all are as consistent as LuPi but a varied selection.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Just to make Jon and all the other LuPi cognoscenti jealous we have had three excellent lunches this week (due to intensive preparations for the arrival of our first grandchild next week). As we were leaving today Luis announced that tomorrow's special is Black Pork Grill yummy and on Sunday he is going to cook Ox Tail Stew which will do me just nicely.
Sounds yummy, sorry we are going to miss the Oxtail Stew due to golf commitments. Looking forward though to the weekend buffets that he hopes to be doing in a few weeks.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:21 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encodeme

Wow we can now go for a 'Ruby' in MF as well, this is great news, thanks encodeme... sounds like its got your approval as well - well worth a visit.

The weekend should be fun. On the MF thread in summer they were doing all sorts of activities as well, so MF is a fantastic location to have on the doorstep... especially as the town attracts resto's and there are people there willing to set up activities.

Well worth supporting!

Jon
Old Oct 21st 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Wow we can now go for a 'Ruby' in MF as well, this is great news, thanks encodeme... sounds like its got your approval as well - well worth a visit.

The weekend should be fun. On the MF thread in summer they were doing all sorts of activities as well, so MF is a fantastic location to have on the doorstep... especially as the town attracts resto's and there are people there willing to set up activities.

Well worth supporting!

Jon
We were recently introduced by friends to Gunther's Restaurante
Belmonte de Cima
Situated on the N2-6 Road to Pechao
Olhao 8700
Tel=351912447051
Excellent food well presented by Belgian Chef Gunther and his wife. Trip Advisor gives some more information and very good reviews. We all loved it and will go again. Not open on Sunday.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by olivia
Belmonte de Cima
Olhao 8700
Tel=351912447051
Excellent food well presented by Belgian Chef Gunther and his wife. Trip Advisor gives some more information and very good reviews. We all loved it and will go again. Not open on Sunday.
We found Gunthers before summer since it is the place that the East Algarve branch of the Royal British Legion hold their monthly lunch. Somewhere between 40-60 diners sit down to a pre-ordered lunch at a very reasonable all in cost. The food is generally excellent for quality and price even catering for such large numbers. One to visit again!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Oct 21st 2013 at 8:09 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A quick update on progress at LuPi restaurant the refurb is going well but still finishing works to do. The new loos are very clean and spacious which is import if you need to change babies nappy (new granddaughter proved this last week).

The new pastry chef produces the best "cheesecake" I have ever tasted and believe me I have tasted a few!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:58 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by olivia
Belmonte de Cima
Olhao 8700
Tel=351912447051
Hmmmm sounds great + the fact that the legion use it is great too.

Living in Belgium - I can say that they have fantastic restos! I may be flamed for this - but Belgian restos are the best around IMO - people rave about the excellent French food, but IMO Belgians win by a tad. There are more Michelin restos per head that France... and I think the Belgians are a tad more creative with food. I am comparing N Euro food between 2 fantastic countries.... but I think Belgium has the edge over France.

Will try it soon thanks

Jon
Old Oct 30th 2013, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

OK this is a BIG ask

We will be visiting again in a month or so.

On the todo list is eating

A Chamine is a definite, very much enjoyed last time.

I have been going back through the posts and there are so many recommendations spread out over 650+ posts

Therefore a list of resto's plus their locations would be very helpful and very much appreciated
Old Nov 9th 2013, 7:54 am
BE Positive

Like a good steak?

We had a 'leaving do' with friends returning home a couple of weeks ago and decided to go to O Infante TWO/Panoramico on Praia Verde beach. Good news is that they have opened the terrace right at the front with wondrous views. My wife and I were to order a steak for 2. An excellent server recommended the Mamhima gastronomico (sp) on the specials page in the front of the menu. We were impressed as it was a little cheaper (at 15Eur) than the steak we had originally chosen – he was recommending the meat. Nice not to feel ripped off! Our friends decided to go for it as well. They thought it was either the best steak they had ever had or the best in the region. Its chunky strips of meat – excellent quality – flashgrilled simply. A bit like a pichana from Brazil. No great ‘chefiness’ needed, but just excellent meat. Served uniquely with a salad filled tortilla and a baked potato with cheese - great combo!. Though on the specials (removable) page the server told us that it would stay on for a long time. He also recommended an excellent wine which after a long boozy lunch I forgot the label. We then beached-walked/paddled to Monte Gordo – stopping at Cabeco beach resto for a drink and onto MG for a drink or 3 and pick up. Note the taxi is 50Eur return, so you need 4 people to split the cost for this special occasion. Great FUN day out, about 11 hours in all!! Great that we can still eat on the terrace in November, we even moved to another table out of sunlight (too hot!!)

Yesterday we had ‘an occasion’ and returned there and had it again. Delicious steak! However the young server wasn't there and the Dao reserva wine we chose, even though on the specials page was OK but no way close to the one we had originally. At 17Eur - don't take it IMO.

After the wine was opened we saw the original server who was busy inside and he told me that the wine he recommended the first time was a Herdade de G.... (spelling again). If you go look out for the young tall guy and very slim, perhaps the youngest there and you will get excellent service. Large portions as well... at our age we can't do the 3 courses anymore - just the main is enough!

I rate it as one of the top few steaks I have had since being in CE. It ranks with the Angus steak I recommended at O Cyclista in Tavira.

FYI Spanish TV were doing a cookery spot on the terrace. They had been there since 10 am the set up and 'polava' was interesting to see for what was surely going to be a short film. 4-5 people camera equipment, lights producers etc.... when we see Jamie/Rick etc for example we don't see all the hassle behind the scenes for a tiny slot. As we left at 3:30 - whilst they were still faffing about, the rain started and black clouds appeared. So they also lost the sun and amazing views!

O Panoramico are doing a New Years special all included, including nice wine for 80Eur. If I understand the Portuguese right there is also a deal with the Altura hotel for 120 all-in. Meaning if you want to have a slap up New Year do with friends - with a nice hotel stay.... stunning situation - this could be interesting. Or taxi it for 12:50 a person/4 people in taxi return. If I was here for NYE and could drum up a few friends I think this may be a wonderful option for NYE.

Happy munching
Jon
Old Nov 9th 2013, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can't match the previous post however Restaurant LuPi is doing the Black Pork ribs "done in arven as Luis says" today and tomorrow and also on Sunday he is adding the choice of beef or black pork with an onion gravy TO THE SPECIALS. Too top it all off yesterday the new chef was preparing his home made "cheese cake" which I have reported before is to die for (which I probably will). So if you are at a loose end get along and expand your waistline a bit more ENJOY.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Can't match the previous post however Restaurant LuPi is doing the Black Pork ribs "done in arven as Luis says" today and tomorrow and also on Sunday he is adding the choice of beef or black pork with an onion gravy TO THE SPECIALS. Too top it all off yesterday the new chef was preparing his home made "cheese cake" which I have reported before is to die for (which I probably will). So if you are at a loose end get along and expand your waistline a bit more ENJOY.
We are going tomorrow, can't wait
Old Nov 9th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Like a good steak?

We had a 'leaving do' with friends returning home a couple of weeks ago and decided to go to O Infante TWO/Panoramico on Praia Verde beach. Good news is that they have opened the terrace right at the front with wondrous views. My wife and I were to order a steak for 2. An excellent server recommended the Mamhima gastronomico (sp) on the specials page in the front of the menu. We were impressed as it was a little cheaper (at 15Eur) than the steak we had originally chosen – he was recommending the meat. Nice not to feel ripped off! Our friends decided to go for it as well. They thought it was either the best steak they had ever had or the best in the region. Its chunky strips of meat – excellent quality – flashgrilled simply. A bit like a pichana from Brazil. No great ‘chefiness’ needed, but just excellent meat. Served uniquely with a salad filled tortilla and a baked potato with cheese - great combo!. Though on the specials (removable) page the server told us that it would stay on for a long time. He also recommended an excellent wine which after a long boozy lunch I forgot the label. We then beached-walked/paddled to Monte Gordo – stopping at Cabeco beach resto for a drink and onto MG for a drink or 3 and pick up. Note the taxi is 50Eur return, so you need 4 people to split the cost for this special occasion. Great FUN day out, about 11 hours in all!! Great that we can still eat on the terrace in November, we even moved to another table out of sunlight (too hot!!)

Yesterday we had ‘an occasion’ and returned there and had it again. Delicious steak! However the young server wasn't there and the Dao reserva wine we chose, even though on the specials page was OK but no way close to the one we had originally. At 17Eur - don't take it IMO.

After the wine was opened we saw the original server who was busy inside and he told me that the wine he recommended the first time was a Herdade de G.... (spelling again). If you go look out for the young tall guy and very slim, perhaps the youngest there and you will get excellent service. Large portions as well... at our age we can't do the 3 courses anymore - just the main is enough!

I rate it as one of the top few steaks I have had since being in CE. It ranks with the Angus steak I recommended at O Cyclista in Tavira.

FYI Spanish TV were doing a cookery spot on the terrace. They had been there since 10 am the set up and 'polava' was interesting to see for what was surely going to be a short film. 4-5 people camera equipment, lights producers etc.... when we see Jamie/Rick etc for example we don't see all the hassle behind the scenes for a tiny slot. As we left at 3:30 - whilst they were still faffing about, the rain started and black clouds appeared. So they also lost the sun and amazing views!

O Panoramico are doing a New Years special all included, including nice wine for 80Eur. If I understand the Portuguese right there is also a deal with the Altura hotel for 120 all-in. Meaning if you want to have a slap up New Year do with friends - with a nice hotel stay.... stunning situation - this could be interesting. Or taxi it for 12:50 a person/4 people in taxi return. If I was here for NYE and could drum up a few friends I think this may be a wonderful option for NYE.

Happy munching
Jon

If we find a good wine in a local restaurant we take of photo of the label. Don't know whether you know but the Argentinian Restaurant in Ayamonte is under new management once again. Not sure whether its up and running yet but will post when I do, regards Bryony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.