Reload this Page >

Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Old Nov 3rd 2019, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Littlefatbloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I use VPN - would that shield me from Priinet noseyness, please?

Jon
Can I ask how you get on with the VPN, where you got bit from and what’s involved? I’ve seen adverts for express vpn from 6.99usd pm. I assume there’s no box you just direct a smart tv on the net to a site which makes it seem you’re elsewhere. Is that right? Does it work ok? I just want it to watch match of the day on the iplayer, the England games live (on itv) etc etc. They seem to be saying it improves your connection speed but I can’t believe that’s right.
Thanks. Martin
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlefatbloke

Can I ask how you get on with the VPN, where you got bit from and what’s involved? I’ve seen adverts for express vpn from 6.99usd pm. I assume there’s no box you just direct a smart tv on the net to a site which makes it seem you’re elsewhere. Is that right? Does it work ok? I just want it to watch match of the day on the iplayer, the England games live (on itv) etc etc. They seem to be saying it improves your connection speed but I can’t believe that’s right.
Thanks. Martin
Hi Martin

I took the 3 year NordVPN deal https://nordvpn.com/offer/brand-dark....google.com%2F

I'm not connected in any commercial way to the company except as a customer.

I like the price currently $3.17/month, (I paid the$2.75); number of devices, the tech support seems good with a quick online chat room and easy to use. BUT I have to admit I've never had VPN before, so nothing to compare it with.

Ive set it up so it automatically connects on switch on. I can easily change countries with a drop down menu, or just tapping on a map in the App. There are servers all around the world, the big countries have many to choose from.

I haven't really seen any performance degradation even with our slowest internet service = Priinet. It seems to me to be a solid product. It also works ok an a mobile data plan. I can stream 2x HD video with no buffering simultaneously (usually!) with VPN on. This is our most resource hungry usage, so is our only requirement for an internet connection = WiFi at home.

I dont have a smart TV so dont know how that would work, but I'm sure the help service will tell you ..or just.. google it.

Good luck!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 4th 2019 at 7:16 am.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jon, that’s brilliant. That is half the price of the one that I found. I’ll give that a go
Thanks again
Martin
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:22 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlefatbloke
Thanks Jon, that’s brilliant. That is half the price of the one that I found. I’ll give that a go
Thanks again
Martin
Hi Martin

I got curious, and found that it only works on Smart TV with Android.

https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047...ng-console.htm

I connect devices to our non smart tv's with HDMI cables or google chromecast
Hope it works well for you....

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 4th 2019 at 7:33 am.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Ah- thanks again - very helpful. I think I will contact them and explain my set up and see what they think.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Following on from the conversation above and just in case anyone’s interested I did speak to the company John recommended and they were very helpful and honest. They couldn’t set up Vpn on a smart tv as John indicated. They could do it directly on your router so that everything you did went through the vpn but that would depend on whether the router was compatible. I didn’t get that far as he said that would likely affect streaming speeds so if you were watching Netflix for example you could expect to see some buffering. Didn’t fancy that. He said you could buy an android box and connect that way but he did go onto explain that they were experiencing a lot of problems with the android box connectivity and couldn’t say when that was going to be resolved. So the only way forward is to do what I think John said he was doing and that’s connect tv via hdmi from a vpn laptop. Or ...just find a local pub that screens England games.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

ARPcPro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Dont most windows laptops have an ethernet connection?

I bought an ethernet cable (cheap) from the Chinese shop, and connect it to the laptop, when watching TV / streaming video to ensure maximum throughput. I connect the other end to one of the ports at the top of their router.

I connect the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable (also available from the same shop).

However, Ive just started using Google Chromecast and so far its working great. Over a family lunch last week, we wanted to share some photos and I whipped out my phone and we could immediately see them on the big screen. Far better than passing the phone around. I may be switching from the laptop for videos to that (I dont think Chromecast works on Windows - shame ).
Chromecast works great on windows. You just need to use Google Chrome browser. From there you can cast one tab, mirror your entire screen or simply tell the chromecast to play a video directly from youtube or netflix.
If you only want to play video files, VLC Player and Soda player support Chromecast also.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 7:12 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by ARPcPro
Chromecast works great on windows. You just need to use Google Chrome browser. From there you can cast one tab, mirror your entire screen or simply tell the chromecast to play a video directly from youtube or netflix.
If you only want to play video files, VLC Player and Soda player support Chromecast also.
Thats interesting, thanks.

I think this is the solution to the vpn/smart tv problem.

Use Chromecast or an hdmi cable direct into the tv and the device will control the tv. It will also be vpn protected. With 6 simultaneous devices allowed by my vpn provider, there is no need to load it on the router (for us).

I have an old tv with only 1 hdmi port, but for a few quid, I got a 3 way splitter which automatically senses when you activate a device. I recently plugged the Chromecast into one port and it works fine. I can see that using cables is going to end for me. I will keep one spare though as both vpn and the Chromecast take up bandwidth, I suppose

Jon