Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Old Oct 25th 2019, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

adec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Ok next issue, Dads Windows laptop does't seem to want to suddenly connect to the Internet.

I know they are getting service, as the iPad still connects.

One Q I have though which is confusing me, I asked them to connect the laptop direct to the router via USB to try to get access.

Apparently the Priinet router is by the front door of the apartment and actually IN the wall... ie you have no access to it. Is this normal in Spain, seems a dumb installation.

Anyone else on Esuri have this same setup ?

thanks

Adrian
Old Oct 25th 2019, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Priinet router.. Costa Esuri

Hi, I'm on Marina Esuri, manzana 3 and mines Identical. Ie, behind the front door where the electricity consumer unit is but lower down behind a big access cover that needs about 8 screws to remove. Surely with the laptop its just a case of asking the laptop to look for available wifi, click on your network and it will ask for the password. Enter password and GO. Basic stuff most people should be able to handle. Need to ensure they are not confusing a nought for a zero or similar on password. HTH
Old Oct 25th 2019, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

thanks @keithBT ..oh it's been working fine until today, and now won't connect to the WiFi .. hence I wanted it connected direct to the router, bypassing WiFi, so I could try logging into it.

I don't understand why anyone would install a router in the manner you describe. I want to see mine at all times, so I can see the status lights, and if necessary connect to it via a USB port. Very weird setup you Guys have !

I need to check back in with them, last I spoke.. the laptop was trying to install a WiFi driver again.. which hopefully means it was just a blip and should be ok..

Thanks for confirming the setup.

adrian
Old Oct 25th 2019, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

A word of warning. We tried to change the password to make it more secure, but Priinet "own" the access and the customer is barred. Unfortunately, having tried to change it, we had to get Jorge out to access the router and reset the password. This is to protect their system from being hacked. Hence you can't do much to the router.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

S'rsly ??? that's misleading and a lie .... "This is to protect their system from being hacked" ... that is really not true ...

..if anything, Priinet can hack your computer at any time they want ....

How would changing the password make their system any easier to hack ? You already have a known password connected to their server.. who ever told you that story was making it up...

This company seems a bit .. umm .. weird ...

adrian
Old Oct 26th 2019, 10:40 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adec
Ok next issue, Dads Windows laptop does't seem to want to suddenly connect to the Internet.

I know they are getting service, as the iPad still connects.

One Q I have though which is confusing me, I asked them to connect the laptop direct to the router via USB to try to get access.

Apparently the Priinet router is by the front door of the apartment and actually IN the wall... ie you have no access to it. Is this normal in Spain, seems a dumb installation.

Anyone else on Esuri have this same setup ?

thanks

Adrian
Hi Dont most windows laptops have an ethernet connection?

I bought an ethernet cable (cheap) from the Chinese shop, and connect it to the laptop, when watching TV / streaming video to ensure maximum throughput. I connect the other end to one of the ports at the top of their router.

I connect the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable (also available from the same shop).

However, Ive just started using Google Chromecast and so far its working great. Over a family lunch last week, we wanted to share some photos and I whipped out my phone and we could immediately see them on the big screen. Far better than passing the phone around. I may be switching from the laptop for videos to that (I dont think Chromecast works on Windows - shame ). The only possible problem would be that the c/cast takes up some of the internet, so would not be as good as a direct cable connection (I think).

Jon

PS weird about Priinet + passwords.. I got Jorge to change both my router name and password for me once when he came to fix a problem. I personally dont want my name broadcast everywhere and I wanted a much stronger password. Of course they have the password though.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 26th 2019 at 10:55 am.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

In terms of security its not a great system imo. I do not do banking over Priinet or anything important, but as something to keep in touch with the world, emails, stream Tv etc its OK.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 10:45 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
In terms of security its not a great system imo. I do not do banking over Priinet or anything important, but as something to keep in touch with the world, emails, stream Tv etc its OK.
I use VPN - would that shield me from Priinet noseyness, please?

Jon
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Nothing is perfect, but yes the VPN encrypts your traffic, so it would make it very difficult for me if I was inclined to see what the final destination of your link is, and I couldn't really read what info you are sending - as encrypted. I'm just not sure why the company would want to know your password all the time

..their website is completely bare too in terms of support, I was hoping to find a help page with Q such as "How do I change my WiFi password.." ...
Old Oct 26th 2019, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road

Hi Adec, most of the Priinet routers are installed in access panels to stop people touching them. Priinet don't normally allow access to the routers IP page as most of their support/fault finding is provided remotely, so they use the default wifi password that is printed on the bottom of the router. Most Priinet customer have TP link TL-WR841N routers that don't have a USB connection.

I am happy to pop round and assist if you/your Dad needs a hand.

Happy to help.

Kind regards Paul
Old Oct 26th 2019, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paul,

Yeah I kinda guessed it was due to remote Support solution.. not totally sure I agree.. but if small company, makes it easier for them.

I need to check in on parents.. I can deal with their iPad / Mac orientated issues.. but being in UK, remotely trying to troubleshoot Windows is a pain! ..why isn't everyone on Mac

Thanks for the offer Paul, I'l keep in touch.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 7:18 am
BE Positive

Nothing is perfect, but yes the VPN encrypts your traffic, so it would make it very difficult for me if I was inclined to see what the final destination of your link is, and I couldn't really read what info you are sending - as encrypted. I'm just not sure why the company would want to know your password all the time

..their website is completely bare too in terms of support, I was hoping to find a help page with Q such as "How do I change my WiFi password.." ...
Thanks for explaining that adec.

I'm not very 'techie' and when Keith said he wouldn't do internet banking through Priinet I got concerned. I do it all the time thinking that a bank would have made sure that access to my accounts is totally secure... Whoever the ISP is. So much for making assumptions! Luckily I have VPN.

Priinet offer a great product for my sort of usage, but I've had loads of problems. I was a very early adopter and have posted often about them. I even got Jorge to post on the forum at the start. Luckily for the past couple of years its worked fine with problems resolved relatively quickly. But it's clear that its a smallish business, and so it isn't 'belt and braces' in terms of support etc. They have grown though and even have a shop in plaza Leon Ortega, but its concerning that people are now being ignored. Jorge is​ great, but maybe we need a second Jorge now that Priinet has grown.

Thanks
Jon
PS it never even occurred to me to question why they need the password. They have fixed problems remotely in the past though. Well done on your remote support for your Dad, I couldn't do it effectively

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 27th 2019 at 7:26 am.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ok Paul or Jorge.. I may need one of you.. just tried troubleshooting over the phone again .. but getting ridiculous...

Mainly because I'm Mac .. so not great with Windows.. they did take the laptop into town.. and some guy.. well he tidied it up and was on wifi watching tv when they picked it up. Got the laptop home .. no joy... its not a priinet issue as the iPad is connected to it no probs.. (see its Mac .. I can do that..!)

They can see their neighbours router, so tomorrow I have asked them to connect and get the neighbour to sign in the password .. just to prove that it really does work...

Then.. well it's back to the priinet settings on the laptop .. grr.. and tbh .. if I was sitting in front of the machine.. i could do it ... but being in the UK, trying to dictate over the phone is not really working... and it's going to be a really simple step in Windows WiFi connection.. prob solved in 2 min .. I'll buy one of you a lot of beers if you can just get it connected to the internet ...

thanks

adrian
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Ok Paul or Jorge.. I may need one of you.. just tried troubleshooting over the phone again .. but getting ridiculous...

Mainly because I'm Mac .. so not great with Windows.. they did take the laptop into town.. and some guy.. well he tidied it up and was on wifi watching tv when they picked it up. Got the laptop home .. no joy... its not a priinet issue as the iPad is connected to it no probs.. (see its Mac .. I can do that..!)

They can see their neighbours router, so tomorrow I have asked them to connect and get the neighbour to sign in the password .. just to prove that it really does work...

Then.. well it's back to the priinet settings on the laptop .. grr.. and tbh .. if I was sitting in front of the machine.. i could do it ... but being in the UK, trying to dictate over the phone is not really working... and it's going to be a really simple step in Windows WiFi connection.. prob solved in 2 min .. I'll buy one of you a lot of beers if you can just get it connected to the internet ...

thanks

adrian
I think you said it was working OK and suddenly has stopped? Have you tried system restore to a date/point where you know it was working. This usually works for me.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road

Hi Adrian

If you can PM message me the address and your Dad's mobile number I will pop in today or tomorrow and take a look.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.