British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   priinet alternatives? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/priinet-alternatives-928704/)

MikeJ Oct 20th 2019 9:03 pm

priinet alternatives?

Does anyone know of and have any experience of WiMax services, apart from priinet, who cover Costa Esuri? Fibre is a bit expensive for holiday homers at the moment.
priinet quality of service has been terrible recently, mainly at the weekends and in the evenings. I have messaged them a number of times and just had placatory response but no improvement.
When the OH can't watch Strictly then life becomes tricky šŸ˜¢

keithBT Oct 21st 2019 7:39 pm

Re: priinet alternatives?

Mike, I've been back (UK) for a week now but our Priinet basic 15 euros service was working fine. Streaming live TV via my Virgin away service whilst son downloading stuff at the same time. No problems. More likely your transmitter/ receiver outside on roof needs attention by Jorge.

ElizabethAnn Oct 21st 2019 10:57 pm

Does anyone have experience of Fortec / UKTV in Spain?

EsuriJohn Oct 22nd 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12751563)
Does anyone know of and have any experience of WiMax services, apart from priinet, who cover Costa Esuri? Fibre is a bit expensive for holiday homers at the moment.
priinet quality of service has been terrible recently, mainly at the weekends and in the evenings. I have messaged them a number of times and just had placatory response but no improvement.
When the OH can't watch Strictly then life becomes tricky šŸ˜¢

I think the people who provided the WiMAX service before Prinet are still around, their name escapes me but they were expensive cf Prinet.

Jon-Bxl Oct 27th 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12752417)

I think the people who provided the WiMAX service before Prinet are still around, their name escapes me but they were expensive cf Prinet.

I noticed that there are a couple of newish companies offering internet. I cant remember the names, but they have signs by the road from the Parador roundabout to LIDL and elsewhere around town

BTW Iā€‹ā€‹ contacted Priinet about fibre as they advertise that, but the (stock) reply was that they were planning for it in CE, but it isn't ready yet.

Jon

EsuriJohn Oct 27th 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12754538)
I noticed that there are a couple of newish companies offering internet. I cant remember the names, but they have signs by the road from the Parador roundabout to LIDL and elsewhere around town

BTW Iā€‹ā€‹ contacted Priinet about fibre as they advertise that, but the (stock) reply was that they were planning for it in CE, but it isn't ready yet.
Jon

WiHu is one of the boards on the fence.

Jon-Bxl Feb 27th 2020 6:49 am

Here's what we saw on the way to the shop a couple of days ago..

I don't know how good it is, or if/where it covers in CE

Also. https://satelite.embou.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYKfvKHx5wIVj-J3Ch0WwA5eEAAYASAAEgKz9vD_BwE

Again I have no experience of this...

Jon
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d4e08a6a8b.jpg

MikeJ Feb 27th 2020 1:25 pm

Hi Jon, how's it hanging;)
Yes I've seen this - they advertise a lot on the Costa Esuri Facebook. I had a look at their offer. The introductory deal lasts for about 3 months and then it more or less doubles and you need a long contract _ ISTR 18months.
Could be fine for a full time resident or very rich visitors or even renters who could claw it back in the rent, but not so good for us poor pensionistas.
Hope to see you soon, we are over for Easter?
Mike J

Jon-Bxl Feb 28th 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12812854)
Hi Jon, how's it hanging;)
Yes I've seen this - they advertise a lot on the Costa Esuri Facebook. I had a look at their offer. The introductory deal lasts for about 3 months and then it more or less doubles and you need a long contract _ ISTR 18months.
Could be fine for a full time resident or very rich visitors or even renters who could claw it back in the rent, but not so good for us poor pensionistas.
Hope to see you soon, we are over for Easter?
Mike J

Everything is great thanks, after all we are here in CE :)

The GC was buzzing yesterday which we ended up in after a wonderful Spanish themed day out. Including drinks at local bars and a great kiosko, and wonderful tapas in a new resto!

I'll send PM re dates and hooking up!!

Yes this sounds expensive. The satellite service sounds interesting "if you can see the sky then you can have Satellite internet" but I don't know how big the antenna/dish needs to be, and of course if it breaks one of the many 'rules!'

Priinet isn't at the right speed, but most importantly we can stream 2 HD streams, simultaneously with no buffering and good quality. Their 'switch off' facility when away at a much lower price is hard to beat. When it works of course! Speeds vary but so far above the threshold for 2 HD streams. I've had as much as 23MBs this week, now 12MB

However we've had no real problems now for the last couple of years.

Happy planning for Easter!

Jon

Jon-Bxl Mar 20th 2020 6:39 am

Netflix are reducing the streaming quality to help Internet Providers who are overloaded with people on isolation. I have to say I have used it a lot! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

I mentioned on another thread a few days ago, that I was concerned that Priinet could not handle all the streaming HD video from everyone that has to be at home now. But hats off to them, we've been getting 2 streams of HD video with no buffering and no problems for the past month, whenever needed, including this last week of enforced home isolation.

Well done to Priinet! (With whom I have no commercial connection... just an internet one!)

Jon

MikeCol Mar 20th 2020 12:20 pm

Hi Jon, have pm'd you šŸ––

EsuriJohn Mar 20th 2020 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12823865)
Netflix are reducing the streaming quality to help Internet Providers who are overloaded with people on isolation. I have to say I have used it a lot! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

I mentioned on another thread a few days ago, that I was concerned that Priinet could not handle all the streaming HD video from everyone that has to be at home now. But hats off to them, we've been getting 2 streams of HD video with no buffering and no problems for the past month, whenever needed, including this last week of enforced home isolation.

Well done to Priinet! (With whom I have no commercial connection... just an internet one!)

Jon

PRIINET are currently laying and connecting fibre on Lomas, Las Encinas and La Jara we can see this from our Casa. This will be offered and come online in two weeks so I think there will be some take up. It is probably also happening on Vista Esuri and Marina Esuri. So if enough convert it should free up some bandwidth of the wide area offering here on ESURI. Things can only get better!

Jon-Bxl Mar 20th 2020 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12824039)
PRIINET are currently laying and connecting fibre on Lomas, Las Encinas and La Jara we can see this from our Casa. This will be offered and come online in two weeks so I think there will be some take up. It is probably also happening on Vista Esuri and Marina Esuri. So if enough convert it should free up some bandwidth of the wide area offering here on ESURI. Things can only get better!

Great news, thanks John.
If you find out their offer, please let us know the pricing, and critically for many 2nd home owners, if they will have the switch off facility when we are away.

Also if they plan to switch off the transmission method they do today as a result of fibre.

Thanks
Jon

Jon-Bxl Apr 23rd 2020 9:20 am

Hi I felt that we might be going off topic on the scorchio thread when discussing priinet. This is an alternative to the current Priinet.

Here is the answer from Priinet re fibre - with some highlights... below

If they do the switch off facility with fibre - and a free transfer to it, its a no-brainer for me. :fingerscrossed: Certainly if it is 25Eur, that I pay anyway. Even at 50mb - that is more than necessary for our needs = 2 HD video streams at the same time - with no bufferring. With that baseline requiremnt everything else that we do is less bandwidth hungry. If we get that facility (as we do now with the 'old' priinet, when it works) then we will switch. I will say that for 18months+ Priinet has delivered well. So if they dont have the switch off facility, I will stick to the current model.

Jon

Good Afternoon,
the technicians are making the works to install the optic fiber in Costa Esuri but it isn't available yet. Due to this exceptional situation, this works could delay a little bit although, the technicians continue working to offer the service to our customers as soon as possible. When the works finish, we will contact with every cutomer to make the change totally free.
On the other hand, the prices that you have seen in our website are the prices of optic fiber in Villablanca not in Ayamonte. We haven't concreted the prices of the fiber in Costa Esuri yet and it will be probable that the kind of contracts will change.
Best regards.