Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Polluted beaches

Polluted beaches

Old Jun 26th 2019, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all
Default re: Polluted beaches

Does the fact that money has been allocated to Huelva to improve the sewerage systems suggest that it is old and inadequate at the moment? There are plenty of signs in restaurants and bars (including the golf club at CE) requesting that used paper (and that includes used sanitary products) be thrown in the bin provided rather than flushed down the toilet. Perhaps if we all did this then there wouldn't be any in the system to find it's way onto the beach. Not pleasant I know and it wouldn't stop the human waste getting into the water but might be an improvement.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

A Brit in Ayamonte is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry re: Polluted beaches

The amount I witnessed was not just a few bars or restaurants flushing paper etc down the toilet. It was for miles and miles. I think the system has not been upgraded since the area became popular with tourists. However, that will change if they don't get their act together - it's third World pumping sewerage into the sea, then eating the fish!
Old Jun 26th 2019, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte
The amount I witnessed was not just a few bars or restaurants flushing paper etc down the toilet. It was for miles and miles. I think the system has not been upgraded since the area became popular with tourists. However, that will change if they don't get their act together - it's third World pumping sewerage into the sea, then eating the fish!
that was my point: if the system has not been upgraded then it applies to homes as well as restaurants ... I doubt that the restaurants are connected to anything different to the homes and if it applies to them perhaps it should apply to everyone everywhere.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 8:54 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte
ohmigosh.... Eating the fish!

Portuguese restos here we come.

Errrrr does anybody know if Portugal (Eastern Algarve) has the same problems?

Jon
Old Jun 27th 2019, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen anything like that in Tavira waters. I lurk in this forum because we are so close to the border.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Not seen anything like that in Tavira waters. I lurk in this forum because we are so close to the border.
Has anybody tried to contact Giahsa, the company responsible for water treatment in the Ayamonte area?
iant
Old Jul 1st 2019, 8:08 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poluted beaches

Originally Posted by iant
Has anybody tried to contact Giahsa, the company responsible for water treatment in the Ayamonte area?
iant
If the news reports are true and there are multimillion euro fines, for repeatedly breaking the laws, over the years, (with respect) this will probably be a waste of time. They probably won't say anything.

Also this is Spain, and this is a utility company, I wouldn't be surprised if they totally ignore any client communication on this sort of high profile matter....or many other matters, as it happens!

Been here too long and the 'system' is always frustrating.... As the legal issues underline in this case. Customer service from the 'authorities' and 'opening the kimono' not renowned over in Spain.

However if you think this may work, please give it a shot, and please let us know how you get on.

Till then, we will walk along the Canela beach, but not go in for a dip (even though the pollution is not visible there) also we are 'foodies' we have to review whether or not we eat fish in our corner of Spain. The odds aren't looking good !!!

Jon

Old Sep 4th 2019, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Rita_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Polluted beaches

Was very worried about this thread but have been down for the last week and the beach and water have been perfect. I am not sure if the municipality is taking water readings but the problem identified in June is definitely not an issue at the moment. We have been coming here for 15 years and swimming in the sea, with children and adults of all ages. It’s true you can’t see water contamination but you will know all about it and we have never had any problems, Hopefully June was a once off!
Old Sep 5th 2019, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Martyn21 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is interesting that Tui website advertise their holidays to IC by referring to the 'Blue flag beach 'as
do the developers site for the new apartments being built at IC.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:39 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Rita_
Was very worried about this thread but have been down for the last week and the beach and water have been perfect. I am not sure if the municipality is taking water readings but the problem identified in June is definitely not an issue at the moment. We have been coming here for 15 years and swimming in the sea, with children and adults of all ages. It’s true you can’t see water contamination but you will know all about it and we have never had any problems, Hopefully June was a once off!
Good to hear thanks. I think the problems highlighted here were a bit further up nearer the Punta Moral end.

However a full time resident friend e-mailed me to say that he saw some problems at IC .. at that time.

The EU fines for non-compliance are worrying.

I hope that the blue flag designation means that it is backed up with professional and regular testing. I dont know the rules here though. If so, then this is an encouraging turn. According to this it should be ok
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Flag_beach

Jon

PS interestingly PDM is a blue flag... But not IC here

http://www.andalucia.com/beaches/blu...-de-la-luz.htm

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 5th 2019 at 8:47 am.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: Polluted beaches

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
Does the fact that money has been allocated to Huelva to improve the sewerage systems suggest that it is old and inadequate at the moment? There are plenty of signs in restaurants and bars (including the golf club at CE) requesting that used paper (and that includes used sanitary products) be thrown in the bin provided rather than flushed down the toilet. Perhaps if we all did this then there wouldn't be any in the system to find it's way onto the beach. Not pleasant I know and it wouldn't stop the human waste getting into the water but might be an improvement.
Not flushing paper, and products is all well and good as a "solution", but does it not at least make it more visible that there is a problem in the water and on the beaches when the untreated sewage is pumped into the water. Not ideal, either way, I know!!!
Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:07 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Not flushing paper, and products is all well and good as a "solution", but does it not at least make it more visible that there is a problem in the water and on the beaches when the untreated sewage is pumped into the water. Not ideal, either way, I know!!!
Good point. Despite the fact that lots of people follow the rules and use the bins in the bar/resto loos, we have still seen evidence (photographic earlier in the thread) that sewage isn't being treated. I'm also a little confused as to why IC is not a blue flag beach and PDM is. Whatever the property developers say... lets face it Spanish developers don't have the best reputation for being wholly honest - especially when they want to sell their properties!

I also wonder if the checking is being done fully for the blue flag nomination e.g PDM.

The great thing about this thread is that we have the information to make our own decisions for ourselves, kids, friends etc.

I remain concerned. But .... we have a lot of choice. We love the tidal IC beach for walking along anyway and always check the tide times before going, fantastic at low tide particularly IMO. I personally wont be diving in though!

A few years ago I posted about our favourite beach, Fabrica. A reputed travel company - I forget who, someone like Conde Nast, rated it as one of the top 10 beaches in the world!. Not 100% sure about that, but I am more comfortable with the Rio Formosa area as I believe it has a good (and better managed) microbiological 'footprint'. Its sister village Cacela Velha is also a gem to visit.

There are also a couple of nice inland 'beaches' in Portugal in fresh water / reservoir areas with facilities like food etc - which make a nice, and different, day out.

37°28'19.4"N 7°28'36.0"W
Unnamed Road, Alcoutim, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/hL74c4VwVsUY9Kqx8

37°40'20.4"N 7°30'12.6"W
Unnamed Road, Mina de S. Domingos, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/ctpuKKLejkqqi3Cb9

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 10th 2019 at 8:11 am.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Martyn21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Good point. Despite the fact that lots of people follow the rules and use the bins in the bar/resto loos, we have still seen evidence (photographic earlier in the thread) that sewage isn't being treated. I'm also a little confused as to why IC is not a blue flag beach and PDM is. Whatever the property developers say... lets face it Spanish developers don't have the best reputation for being wholly honest - especially when they want to sell their properties!

I also wonder if the checking is being done fully for the blue flag nomination e.g PDM.

The great thing about this thread is that we have the information to make our own decisions for ourselves, kids, friends etc.

I remain concerned. But .... we have a lot of choice. We love the tidal IC beach for walking along anyway and always check the tide times before going, fantastic at low tide particularly IMO. I personally wont be diving in though!

A few years ago I posted about our favourite beach, Fabrica. A reputed travel company - I forget who, someone like Conde Nast, rated it as one of the top 10 beaches in the world!. Not 100% sure about that, but I am more comfortable with the Rio Formosa area as I believe it has a good (and better managed) microbiological 'footprint'. Its sister village Cacela Velha is also a gem to visit.

There are also a couple of nice inland 'beaches' in Portugal in fresh water / reservoir areas with facilities like food etc - which make a nice, and different, day out.

37°28'19.4"N 7°28'36.0"W
Unnamed Road, Alcoutim, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/hL74c4VwVsUY9Kqx8

37°40'20.4"N 7°30'12.6"W
Unnamed Road, Mina de S. Domingos, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/ctpuKKLejkqqi3Cb9

Jon

Jon, I take your point about property developers although I would have thought holiday makers who booked with Tui expecting
the promised( as their website) blue flag beach would have some sort of claim if that information was factually incorrect.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 9:09 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Martyn21
Jon, I take your point about property developers although I would have thought holiday makers who booked with Tui expecting
the promised( as their website) blue flag beach would have some sort of claim if that information was factually incorrect.
Good point. I forgot that you'd also mentioned that, sorry.

​​​​​TUI customers (& others) wouldn't know unless they researched it first. Frankly I wouldn't have thought of researching something like that, i.e double checking the TUI (or developer) claims of blue-flag. If I did would have seen that PDM is blue flag. IC is not. Further research (i.e this thread) gives conflicting information... But most wouldn't get this far.

Cant win !

Happy swimming wherever you go

Jon
Old Sep 12th 2019, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Rita_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the the comments. Just back from our lovely break ( and lovely sea!). I should have clarified we are the Punta Morel end of the beach. Two further comments on the beaches, Spanish friends of ours moved from the IC end to the PDM end of the island several years ago. Not because of water pollution but because the fear that the Portuguese break wall would cause the composition of the IC beach to change from silt from the river and they were afraid of the lagoon effect that might follow. Sand spits have developed but fortunately not to the detriment of the beach (and even add to it) other than the occasional bad sea weed. Might though explain the different designation of the two beaches. The second point concerns the treatment of sewage. There is a sewage treatment plant on the island... RHS just after you cross over the bridge (you can often smell it!). I don’t think it is plausible that they don’t treat the sewage (although have never ventured in). We bought here 16 years ago and have fortunately never seem raw sewage and normally spend a month in the summer. However, sewage leaks do happen and as the resort grows, capacity in the plant may be an issue so no grounds for complacency. But I don’t think the issue is as bad as it may have appeared. The Oceana development is right beside where the original photos were taken and as this is the most expensive, high end development in IC there is a huge incentive for Isla Canela (who devloped most of the island and infrastructure), to sort out any capacity issues with the plant!