British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Ayamonte Club (https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamonte-club-138/)
-   -   Polluted beaches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamonte-club-138/polluted-beaches-925882/)

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 20th 2019 2:03 pm

Polluted beaches
 
What's going on with the beach, Punta Del Moral? The water's edge is full of toilet paper ( and worse)

Nobody could swim or let children paddle in that.

What is being done?

Moses2013 Jun 20th 2019 2:25 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte (Post 12700665)
What's going on with the beach, Punta Del Moral? The water's edge is full of toilet paper ( and worse)

Nobody could swim or let children paddle in that.

What is being done?

This was last year:Spain fined €12 million for failing to treat urban waste water

On Wednesday, the court found that Spain has failed to comply fully, because in nine of the 17 municipalities the work required to bring them in line with EU regulations had not been done. In addition to these four in Malaga province, it also applies to Matalascañas, Isla Cristina, Tarifa, Barbate, east Gijón, Santiago de Compostela, Aguiño-Carreira-Ribeira, Vigo, Benicaró, Peñíscola, Teulada-Moreira, north-east Valle Guerra and Valle de Güímar, the last two being in the Canary Islands. According to the law, local councils are obliged to provide adequate sewage treatment facilities, but the financial circumstances of small town halls has meant that the matter has normally become the responsibility of the relevant regional governments (in most cases) or the government if the treatment plant is considered a matter of General Interest to the State. In the case of Andalucía, since 2011 every household has been paying an Improvement Charge, a tax included in the water bills to pay for the works to improve sewage treatment.

This is another rarticle https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/07/25...83_116669.html

Jon-Bxl Jun 22nd 2019 8:03 am

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12700676)
This was last year:Spain fined €12 million for failing to treat urban waste water

On Wednesday, the court found that Spain has failed to comply fully, because in nine of the 17 municipalities the work required to bring them in line with EU regulations had not been done. In addition to these four in Malaga province, it also applies to Matalascañas, Isla Cristina, Tarifa, Barbate, east Gijón, Santiago de Compostela, Aguiño-Carreira-Ribeira, Vigo, Benicaró, Peñíscola, Teulada-Moreira, north-east Valle Guerra and Valle de Güímar, the last two being in the Canary Islands. According to the law, local councils are obliged to provide adequate sewage treatment facilities, but the financial circumstances of small town halls has meant that the matter has normally become the responsibility of the relevant regional governments (in most cases) or the government if the treatment plant is considered a matter of General Interest to the State. In the case of Andalucía, since 2011 every household has been paying an Improvement Charge, a tax included in the water bills to pay for the works to improve sewage treatment.

This is another rarticle https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/07/25...83_116669.html

OHMIGOSH!!! :eek:
Another piece of bad news in our region. A while back I started a 'good news' thread, it didn't last long !!!

Jon

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 22nd 2019 9:44 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
A couple of recent photographs, it was worse on the beach. Basically, paddling in raw sewage.

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 22nd 2019 9:48 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
Look closely, my property is close to here and I'm fuming and disgusted.
I CAN'T FOR SOME REASON UPLOAD THE PHOTOGRAPHS?

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 22nd 2019 10:09 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...913a81da2.jpeg
It also smells

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 22nd 2019 10:16 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...419c7e67e.jpeg
I don't think that is an octopuss...

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 22nd 2019 10:26 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
The water's edge was even worse on the beach, basically human sewerage and toilet paper. If you look at the image of the sea, that is not marine wildlife floating about. I think its a sanitary product. I have emailed the Town Hall - no reply.

You would think they would take things seriously. If people stop coming to the beaches, the knock-on effect will be bad for the locals along with the economy.

Dxf Jun 22nd 2019 1:34 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 
Hola

At this time of year their resources are at full stretch; not only holiday makers but owners come over so their is more to deal with. Whilst the solution is not impossible, they would have to put the charges up for the next ten years to probably double to have the resources necessary.

Davexf

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 22nd 2019 5:25 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 
Then they should put the charges up for ten years. Swimming in shit certainly is not the answer.

Jon-Bxl Jun 23rd 2019 5:36 am

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte (Post 12701437)
Then they should put the charges up for ten years. Swimming in shit certainly is not the answer.

.... And after all its a legal requirement that they have been fined for, for not implementing... Paying a fine, even if it reduces when the work is done, is still money that is not used for the community.

So avoid swimming in the area for a minimum of 10 years!!! That's after they start. Ugh!

We were in Punta Umbria last year and saw something disturbing there as well. This is shocking for what is supposed to be a first world country.

Clearly NOT a blue flag beach.... They better not show that flag!!

It begs the question 'if this is what they do with sewage, which is visible, (and illegal) what other horrors lie hidden under the surface?' "They" being the authorities.

Ugh!!! quite literally 'what a mess' ! :eek:

Jon

Dxf Jun 23rd 2019 10:38 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
Hola

And as if by magic, the Junta de Andalucia announced today in the Olive Press "Sewage projects are to get a huge amount of money in Huelva, with €35m set aside"
Full article here
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-n...n-new-budgets/
Davexf

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 23rd 2019 10:48 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
Well, it certainly seemed to keep people off the beach compared to previous years.

The concerns I have is, if this is taken up by the 'social media' set coupled with the drunk / drug-addled parking attendants in Ayamonte - then the area will have a problem. Including the already declining property prices.

Moses2013 Jun 24th 2019 9:30 am

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte (Post 12701595)
Well, it certainly seemed to keep people off the beach compared to previous years.

The concerns I have is, if this is taken up by the 'social media' set coupled with the drunk / drug-addled parking attendants in Ayamonte - then the area will have a problem. Including the already declining property prices.

Unfortunately your area is not even that bad. This was in March and the video is just shocking.
https://www.theseasidegazette.com/20.../nerjas-shame/

Even if they fix the problem, it will happen again I'm afraid.

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 24th 2019 9:54 am

re: Polluted beaches
 
That's truly vile. I suspect something similar is happening locally - to have toilet paper for miles is not just the odd mishap.

Kath Las Colinas Jun 26th 2019 2:51 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 
Does the fact that money has been allocated to Huelva to improve the sewerage systems suggest that it is old and inadequate at the moment? There are plenty of signs in restaurants and bars (including the golf club at CE) requesting that used paper (and that includes used sanitary products) be thrown in the bin provided rather than flushed down the toilet. Perhaps if we all did this then there wouldn't be any in the system to find it's way onto the beach. Not pleasant I know and it wouldn't stop the human waste getting into the water but might be an improvement.

A Brit in Ayamonte Jun 26th 2019 4:11 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 
The amount I witnessed was not just a few bars or restaurants flushing paper etc down the toilet. It was for miles and miles. I think the system has not been upgraded since the area became popular with tourists. However, that will change if they don't get their act together - it's third World pumping sewerage into the sea, then eating the fish!

Kath Las Colinas Jun 26th 2019 5:14 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte (Post 12703168)
The amount I witnessed was not just a few bars or restaurants flushing paper etc down the toilet. It was for miles and miles. I think the system has not been upgraded since the area became popular with tourists. However, that will change if they don't get their act together - it's third World pumping sewerage into the sea, then eating the fish!

that was my point: if the system has not been upgraded then it applies to homes as well as restaurants ... I doubt that the restaurants are connected to anything different to the homes and if it applies to them perhaps it should apply to everyone everywhere.

Jon-Bxl Jun 27th 2019 9:54 am

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by A Brit in Ayamonte (Post 12703168)
The amount I witnessed was not just a few bars or restaurants flushing paper etc down the toilet. It was for miles and miles. I think the system has not been upgraded since the area became popular with tourists. However, that will change if they don't get their act together - it's third World pumping sewerage into the sea, then eating the fish!

ohmigosh.... Eating the fish!

Portuguese restos here we come.

Errrrr does anybody know if Portugal (Eastern Algarve) has the same problems?

Jon

Shanorme Jun 27th 2019 10:35 pm

re: Polluted beaches
 
Not seen anything like that in Tavira waters. I lurk in this forum because we are so close to the border.

iant Jul 1st 2019 7:25 am

re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12703805)
Not seen anything like that in Tavira waters. I lurk in this forum because we are so close to the border.

Has anybody tried to contact Giahsa, the company responsible for water treatment in the Ayamonte area?
iant

Jon-Bxl Jul 1st 2019 9:08 am

Re: Poluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by iant (Post 12704958)
Has anybody tried to contact Giahsa, the company responsible for water treatment in the Ayamonte area?
iant

If the news reports are true and there are multimillion euro fines, for repeatedly breaking the laws, over the years, (with respect) this will probably be a waste of time. They probably won't say anything.

Also this is Spain, and this is a utility company, I wouldn't be surprised if they totally ignore any client communication on this sort of high profile matter....or many other matters, as it happens!

Been here too long and the 'system' is always frustrating.... As the legal issues underline in this case. Customer service from the 'authorities' and 'opening the kimono' not renowned over in Spain.

However if you think this may work, please give it a shot, and please let us know how you get on.

Till then, we will walk along the Canela beach, but not go in for a dip (even though the pollution is not visible there) also we are 'foodies' we have to review whether or not we eat fish in our corner of Spain. The odds aren't looking good !!!

Jon


Rita_ Sep 4th 2019 6:58 pm

Re: Polluted beaches
 
Was very worried about this thread but have been down for the last week and the beach and water have been perfect. I am not sure if the municipality is taking water readings but the problem identified in June is definitely not an issue at the moment. We have been coming here for 15 years and swimming in the sea, with children and adults of all ages. It’s true you can’t see water contamination but you will know all about it and we have never had any problems, Hopefully June was a once off!

Martyn21 Sep 5th 2019 8:54 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 
It is interesting that Tui website advertise their holidays to IC by referring to the 'Blue flag beach 'as
do the developers site for the new apartments being built at IC.

Jon-Bxl Sep 5th 2019 9:39 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by Rita_ (Post 12731591)
Was very worried about this thread but have been down for the last week and the beach and water have been perfect. I am not sure if the municipality is taking water readings but the problem identified in June is definitely not an issue at the moment. We have been coming here for 15 years and swimming in the sea, with children and adults of all ages. It’s true you can’t see water contamination but you will know all about it and we have never had any problems, Hopefully June was a once off!

Good to hear thanks. I think the problems highlighted here were a bit further up nearer the Punta Moral end.

However a full time resident friend e-mailed me to say that he saw some problems at IC .. at that time.

The EU fines for non-compliance are worrying.

I hope that the blue flag designation means that it is backed up with professional and regular testing. I dont know the rules here though. If so, then this is an encouraging turn. According to this it should be ok
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Flag_beach

Jon

PS interestingly PDM is a blue flag... But not IC here

http://www.andalucia.com/beaches/blu...-de-la-luz.htm

ElizabethAnn Sep 8th 2019 9:56 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas (Post 12703131)
Does the fact that money has been allocated to Huelva to improve the sewerage systems suggest that it is old and inadequate at the moment? There are plenty of signs in restaurants and bars (including the golf club at CE) requesting that used paper (and that includes used sanitary products) be thrown in the bin provided rather than flushed down the toilet. Perhaps if we all did this then there wouldn't be any in the system to find it's way onto the beach. Not pleasant I know and it wouldn't stop the human waste getting into the water but might be an improvement.

Not flushing paper, and products is all well and good as a "solution", but does it not at least make it more visible that there is a problem in the water and on the beaches when the untreated sewage is pumped into the water. Not ideal, either way, I know!!!

Jon-Bxl Sep 10th 2019 9:07 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn (Post 12733090)
Not flushing paper, and products is all well and good as a "solution", but does it not at least make it more visible that there is a problem in the water and on the beaches when the untreated sewage is pumped into the water. Not ideal, either way, I know!!!

Good point. Despite the fact that lots of people follow the rules and use the bins in the bar/resto loos, we have still seen evidence (photographic earlier in the thread) that sewage isn't being treated. I'm also a little confused as to why IC is not a blue flag beach and PDM is. Whatever the property developers say... lets face it Spanish developers don't have the best reputation for being wholly honest - especially when they want to sell their properties!

I also wonder if the checking is being done fully for the blue flag nomination e.g PDM.

The great thing about this thread is that we have the information to make our own decisions for ourselves, kids, friends etc.

I remain concerned. But .... we have a lot of choice. We love the tidal IC beach for walking along anyway and always check the tide times before going, fantastic at low tide particularly IMO. I personally wont be diving in though!

A few years ago I posted about our favourite beach, Fabrica. A reputed travel company - I forget who, someone like Conde Nast, rated it as one of the top 10 beaches in the world!. Not 100% sure about that, but I am more comfortable with the Rio Formosa area as I believe it has a good (and better managed) microbiological 'footprint'. Its sister village Cacela Velha is also a gem to visit.

There are also a couple of nice inland 'beaches' in Portugal in fresh water / reservoir areas with facilities like food etc - which make a nice, and different, day out.

37°28'19.4"N 7°28'36.0"W
Unnamed Road, Alcoutim, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/hL74c4VwVsUY9Kqx8

37°40'20.4"N 7°30'12.6"W
Unnamed Road, Mina de S. Domingos, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/ctpuKKLejkqqi3Cb9

Jon

Martyn21 Sep 12th 2019 9:08 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12733715)
Good point. Despite the fact that lots of people follow the rules and use the bins in the bar/resto loos, we have still seen evidence (photographic earlier in the thread) that sewage isn't being treated. I'm also a little confused as to why IC is not a blue flag beach and PDM is. Whatever the property developers say... lets face it Spanish developers don't have the best reputation for being wholly honest - especially when they want to sell their properties!

I also wonder if the checking is being done fully for the blue flag nomination e.g PDM.

The great thing about this thread is that we have the information to make our own decisions for ourselves, kids, friends etc.

I remain concerned. But .... we have a lot of choice. We love the tidal IC beach for walking along anyway and always check the tide times before going, fantastic at low tide particularly IMO. I personally wont be diving in though!

A few years ago I posted about our favourite beach, Fabrica. A reputed travel company - I forget who, someone like Conde Nast, rated it as one of the top 10 beaches in the world!. Not 100% sure about that, but I am more comfortable with the Rio Formosa area as I believe it has a good (and better managed) microbiological 'footprint'. Its sister village Cacela Velha is also a gem to visit.

There are also a couple of nice inland 'beaches' in Portugal in fresh water / reservoir areas with facilities like food etc - which make a nice, and different, day out.

37°28'19.4"N 7°28'36.0"W
Unnamed Road, Alcoutim, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/hL74c4VwVsUY9Kqx8

37°40'20.4"N 7°30'12.6"W
Unnamed Road, Mina de S. Domingos, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/ctpuKKLejkqqi3Cb9

Jon



Jon, I take your point about property developers although I would have thought holiday makers who booked with Tui expecting
the promised( as their website) blue flag beach would have some sort of claim if that information was factually incorrect.

Jon-Bxl Sep 12th 2019 10:09 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 

Originally Posted by Martyn21 (Post 12734524)
Jon, I take your point about property developers although I would have thought holiday makers who booked with Tui expecting
the promised( as their website) blue flag beach would have some sort of claim if that information was factually incorrect.

Good point. I forgot that you'd also mentioned that, sorry.

​​​​​TUI customers (& others) wouldn't know unless they researched it first. Frankly I wouldn't have thought of researching something like that, i.e double checking the TUI (or developer) claims of blue-flag. If I did would have seen that PDM is blue flag. IC is not. Further research (i.e this thread) gives conflicting information... But most wouldn't get this far.

Cant win !

Happy swimming wherever you go :)

Jon

Rita_ Sep 12th 2019 10:40 am

Re: Polluted beaches
 
Thank you for all the the comments. Just back from our lovely break ( and lovely sea!). I should have clarified we are the Punta Morel end of the beach. Two further comments on the beaches, Spanish friends of ours moved from the IC end to the PDM end of the island several years ago. Not because of water pollution but because the fear that the Portuguese break wall would cause the composition of the IC beach to change from silt from the river and they were afraid of the lagoon effect that might follow. Sand spits have developed but fortunately not to the detriment of the beach (and even add to it) other than the occasional bad sea weed. Might though explain the different designation of the two beaches. The second point concerns the treatment of sewage. There is a sewage treatment plant on the island... RHS just after you cross over the bridge (you can often smell it!). I don’t think it is plausible that they don’t treat the sewage (although have never ventured in). We bought here 16 years ago and have fortunately never seem raw sewage and normally spend a month in the summer. However, sewage leaks do happen and as the resort grows, capacity in the plant may be an issue so no grounds for complacency. But I don’t think the issue is as bad as it may have appeared. The Oceana development is right beside where the original photos were taken and as this is the most expensive, high end development in IC there is a huge incentive for Isla Canela (who devloped most of the island and infrastructure), to sort out any capacity issues with the plant!


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:24 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.