Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

POLICE CHECKS LIFTED ON BORDER?

POLICE CHECKS LIFTED ON BORDER?

Old May 1st 2021, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile POLICE CHECKS LIFTED ON BORDER?

According the the online newspaper - The local.es - Cross border restrictions were lifted with PT today, and journeys for any reason can now be taken, such as lunch, dinner etc. Can anyone confirm the Guadiana bridge is now fully open ??????? I remain optimistic in getting over in late June once UK travel restriction are supposed to be lifted, however the 72 hr negative lab test could still be a problem. Looking forward to seeing the new boardwalk in town, officially opened this week. Thx.... keith
Old May 1st 2021, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: POLICE CHECKS LIFTED ON BORDER?

PS. I'm assuming all the remedial work on the bridge is now complete and scaffolding down ?
Old May 1st 2021, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Last I heard both lanes still not open. As for the border still not sure, depends which website you look at, Portugal have opened but Andalusia still in lockdown so just hope somebody shall post if we can get over.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
According the the online newspaper - The local.es - Cross border restrictions were lifted with PT today, and journeys for any reason can now be taken, such as lunch, dinner etc. Can anyone confirm the Guadiana bridge is now fully open ??????? I remain optimistic in getting over in late June once UK travel restriction are supposed to be lifted, however the 72 hr negative lab test could still be a problem. Looking forward to seeing the new boardwalk in town, officially opened this week. Thx.... keith
Originally Posted by keithBT
PS. I'm assuming all the remedial work on the bridge is now complete and scaffolding down ?
Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
Last I heard both lanes still not open. As for the border still not sure, depends which website you look at, Portugal have opened but Andalusia still in lockdown so just hope somebody shall post if we can get over.
The border is open in both directions however the traffic is still confined to one lane since there is a very big beam to place on the Spanish side for signage and maybe traffic counters and speed cameras.
All closure infrastructure has been removed from the Portugal lane. However all remains in place including the small portacabin with air-conditioning on the Spanish lane which was deserted this morning and no checks were made. The bridge repairs seem to be complete just a small amount of future improvements to be completed then both lanes will be fully open.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; May 1st 2021 at 9:13 pm.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is still illegal to cross the border from Andalucia into Portugal without an essential excuse - going for lunch is certainly not acceptable.
Old May 2nd 2021, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the information. I guess The local.es has got it wrong!! It said : the border restrictions had been lifted and no excuses needed, as in back to pre- pandemic. That said I did raise this topic partly because I had also read that in areas of high covid, the borders were closed even between towns in Andalusia. I did think it sounded too good to be true !! Roll on summer.
Old May 2nd 2021, 1:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure they were not referring to the provincial borders within Andalucia? Thay have been closed for 14 weeks and they were reopened last Thursday. Some towns with high levels of Covid cases are still locked down with no entry or exit allowed.
Old May 2nd 2021, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

del.Almendro will become famous soon enoughdel.Almendro will become famous soon enough

The Guadiana international bridge is open for unrestricted traffic in both directions and legal to cross without specific reason:

https://www.huelvainformacion.es/pro...570044060.html

Last edited by del.Almendro; May 2nd 2021 at 5:42 pm.
Old May 3rd 2021, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Fred, The article that I read was a declaration by the Portugal prime minister, which stated residents of SP & PT will be able to travel to each others country for non -essential reasons. This was qualified in the nest sentence saying : although you should consider current restrictions in YOUR part of Spain. Hence it looks like travel is possible for Ayamontinos without restriction as confirmed by the Heulva Informacion article highlighted above. Good news. Just wish I was there !!