Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New EU travel proposals

New EU travel proposals

Old May 20th 2021, 6:52 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default New EU travel proposals

This pandemic has thrown up so many 'new' situations!

Yesterday the EU leaders agreed (in principle) NON-EU travel. With proposed policies for entry into the EU for tourism (up to 90 days) and other travel. Note its my understanding that these proposals are NOT ratified yet, I think there is another process to go, but on the news they said that the hope is that they start from June 9. But not 100% guaranteed till ratified.

I say 'proposal', not 'rule', as the individual countries need to have control over their own borders. The proposal (as I understand it) is that inbound EU travel, will have quarantine-free and test-free access from a selection of non-EU countries. From travellers who prove that they have had both vaccines (that are authorised by the EU) at least 14 days previous to entry.

Note1 some EU countries have already changed their rules. Like Portugal, so you may not have to wait. So there are no EU wide rules for all.
Note2 Logically, by the same argument, some EU countries may not, therefore, follow these proposals

We can only control our own borders - not others. So (for example) just because a country is on England's 'green list' it doesn't 100% mean that we are on their green list. For me personally the English traffic light system in (say) England is ONLY applicable for travel into England. So someone coming into England from green-list-Portugal wont need to quarantine. English 'Traffic lights' guarantees nothing for outbound travel from England.

Even if this proposal passes, one still must check each individual country's rules, just to be sure that they have accepted... or denied this proposal. Then plan accordingly based on their rules.

This must also include double checking the rules of crossing into another countries borders during your stay. Like the countries you visit or drive through, or even any country you have a connecting flight from, just to be sure. If we drive down, we need to check France, Spain and Portugal on outbound.... and those and Belgium (where we live) for our return. This includes the rules at each border as we cross them. (eg PCR tests etc). Its highly likely that you will also need to legally report these countries on your return

During your stay if your country changes its status to (say) Amber.. under the ENGLISH definitions, then you have to report it on return and follow the English rules regarding quarantine and testing etc. Again IMO the English traffic light system is only applicable for entry into England (likewise for other countries). Having had personal experience of rules changing during my stay, I have learned to keep that possibility in mind when planning. The worst case scenario is flights grounded and lockdown in another country (as happened last year). Add to that the horrible worst-case-possibility of having to pay £1750 for a quarantine hotel on return...!! But coming into England from an Amber country, even if it changed during your stay, under current English rules, is a hassle, is expensive (PCR tests before after) and time consuming (quarantine). On another thread a poster calculated the PCR tests alone to be +/- £400 in their situation!

The 'tea leaves' are good however with the vaccination and these EU proposals. Boris doesn't want you to travel to Amber countries like e.g Spain... but will change his tune if e.g Spain goes green light. Even if you ignore Boris, you are legally OK to go to an Amber country, but the cost of that is the quarantine etc on return. So this should be planned around.

With all this in mind one should also check travel insurance criteria.

A LOT of planning and double checking for peace of mind. Weird we never had to do that before the pandemic.

Here's another weird thing! I have vax2 next week. Add 14 days so its around June 10. If the EU countries I am interested in visiting agree to the new EU proposals, English (and many other) residents may have freer travel, than me an EU resident .. even though I have the same proof!! I may still have to go through expensive PCR tests, proof of reason of visit etc.(The borders may be technically open, but practically its not free movement) These proposals above are NOT applicable for EU based residents. So UK leaving the EU means that the residents may enjoy better and freer movement!! (tourist and short term movement), practically ....for a while!

I hope that the EU leaders regularise this asap, its on the cards, but there is a lot of debate. Its about the 'Digital Green Certificate AKA 'covid passport'. It does seem that the EU are moving very quickly on this. So I hope we will have the same ease of travel as non-EU residents are expected to get ... even though it may be a few/couple of weeks later.

Who wudda thunk it

Jon PS for 'England' insert country of choice... eg 'Scotland'.....

Non EU travel https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/e...ravel-council/

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 20th 2021 at 7:30 am.
Old May 20th 2021, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New EU travel proposals

Non EU travel https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/e...ravel-council/[/QUOTE]

On a side note.
Since May 17th if you have the NHS app on your phone (not the NHS COVID app) the normal one.
it now shows your vaccination status
ie when and if you have had the vaccine with all the relevant details .
I have heard that some countries will accept proof from that if having had both jabs instead of a PCR test before arrival .
Old May 21st 2021, 4:45 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...irus-test.html

Wow no testing or vaccinations needed. I was expecting Spain to jump ahead of the EU plans, but this is further than I expected!

Jon

Travelers from the UK will be able to freely enter Spain from Monday with no restrictions and no coronavirus test Speaking on Friday at the Fitur tourism fair, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said in English that the country “will be delighted to receive British tourists”

... United Kingdom and Japan to the list of countries whose residents will not be subject to coronavirus restrictions when traveling to Spain, including the requirement to present a negative PCR test on arrival.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 21st 2021 at 4:55 pm.
Old May 21st 2021, 5:27 pm
BE Positive

We were planning on driving ... But looking at flying to Seville as there will be no restrictions. Several friends cross the border ES/PT regularly, with no stops at the bridge, so it might be a 'normal' trip... as going to PT is a must for us.

Driving is our preference, but there are lots of borders to cross each with changing rules. Everything changes daily, and if course the EU will bring out the 'digital green certificate'...

Jon
Old May 22nd 2021, 3:40 am
BE Positive

Hot on the heels of Spain reducing entry requirements initially for UK based travellers then for EU based travellers...

Germany has just announced increased restrictions for UK based travellers

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ntine-12313204

This variance is why one has to carefully check each countries incoming border rules... The UK traffic light system is only for inbound travel to the UK. A UK green light country isn't guaranteed to accept UK travellers without restrictions.....And even with 'covid passports' etc there wont necessarily be a common EU wide solution, as below.

Its a bit worrying as Germany is an EU powerhouse, influential and I hope isn't an indication of (possible) 'things' to come. Its tough enough coming back to the UK from an Amber country - without that nagging concern that it turns red whilst away. Hotel quarantine etc. !

Jon
PS The EU have changed the name of the certificate again (its not green anymore ). AKA 'covid passports'

this morning came the news that the long-awaited “Digital Green Certificates” to facilitate travel within the European Union this summer will now be renamed “Digital Covid Certificates of the EU” – and will carry information showing either that holders have received both shots of an approved vaccine against Covid-19, have a negative PCR test for the virus or that they have only recently recovered from it (and so have built up an immune response protecting them). The idea of these certificates is to do away with the need for any kind of quarantines within the bloc, although the possibility of individual countries bringing in their own rules remains ‘open’.

https://www.portugalresident.com/por...eturn-by-2027/

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 22nd 2021 at 4:53 am.
Old May 26th 2021, 6:40 pm
BE Positive

Oh dear! Today France implemented quarantine for arrivals from the UK following Germany's decision. As I mentioned on the last post, Germany is very influential. If driving through France, be aware of the regulations. I dont think Spain will follow suit - but other EU countries might.

The rules are constantly changing....

Jon
Old May 27th 2021, 1:55 am
BE Positive

....and Austria.... Re UK arrivals + quarantine .... Its spreading, especially as the 2 major influencers have implemented this. I'm afraid this may mean the hoped for removal of PCR tests are delayed..in other countries - let alone the possibility of quarantine. The French tourist industry is big of course for UK travellers (we were the biggest inbound tourist origin pre-covid) Keep a beady eye on constantly changing rules....

However some early good news which of course may change https://www.portugalresident.com/brits-should-not-have-to-present-a-negative-pcr-test-says-algarve-tourism-boss/

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 27th 2021 at 2:06 am.
Old May 27th 2021, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

However some early good news which of course may change https://www.portugalresident.com/bri...-tourism-boss/
.................................................. .........................................
This is what I have been hoping will happen. Fingers crossed it goes ahead and soon as I would like to save the cost of PCR tests before flying out.
Mary.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Portugal off UK green list from Tuesday .
Absolute joke.Airline price gouging on flights back to UK yet again .
Mind you who can blame them .
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully there is now a better chance of Portugal doing away with the need for a PCR test, as once Portugal moves to the amber list Spain will be in a better position for UK tourists.
A shame for all the Portuguese businesses who will have stocked up in anticipation of the tourists arriving.
I'm hoping our flight out doesn't get cancelled.
Mary.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Hopefully there is now a better chance of Portugal doing away with the need for a PCR test, as once Portugal moves to the amber list Spain will be in a better position for UK tourists.
A shame for all the Portuguese businesses who will have stocked up in anticipation of the tourists arriving.
I'm hoping our flight out doesn't get cancelled.
Mary.
Its not the flight ,but the 2 week quarantine on return that is making people nervous.
Not sure how they will police it ,but guarantee that there will be some cases of people prosecuted for non compliance exposed in the press to keep the huddled masses living in fear.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

boatwench is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been called everyday since we got back on Sunday. Not had a visit yet, but each tome we are called we have to say that we are quarantining at home and that we understand the rules. They even checked if we had the results of the day 2 test back yet.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boatwench
We have been called everyday since we got back on Sunday. Not had a visit yet, but each tome we are called we have to say that we are quarantining at home and that we understand the rules. They even checked if we had the results of the day 2 test back yet.
Can I ask a cheeky question. Are they calling your mobile ,and if so have you always been at home .
I'm imagining MI6😎 triangulating you phone signal to see where it's pinging at your home address! I may have been watching to many spy films in Netflix during lockdown .
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

boatwench is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they do call your mobile unless you give a landline on your form. However you are made aware that if you are not quarantining there is a chance of fines. So far we have not had any visit, but know people that have, just to check. Its a pain, but better than the fine!
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Its not the flight ,but the 2 week quarantine on return that is making people nervous.
Not sure how they will police it ,but guarantee that there will be some cases of people prosecuted for non compliance exposed in the press to keep the huddled masses living in fear.
Yes, I realise that will be a problem for many people. I am just looking at it from my perspective as I would fully expect things to be improved by the time we are heading home again.
England are supposed to be employing more people to actively go to home addresses and check people are there. In Scotland I have had a phone call soon after returning from trips abroad, carried out in a manner in which they are giving you information regarding your quarantine but probably to check you are where you are meant to be for the quarantine.
Mary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.