Reload this Page >

Neighbor Harrassment Advise

Neighbor Harrassment Advise

Old Sep 19th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Madame345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Neighbor Harrassment Advise

Hi Everyone -

I'm new to this board but not new to the area. My husband and I have a holiday home in Ayamonte which we renovated 6 years ago. During the renovation, our elderly neighbor accused us of causing damage to her property. Our architect visited her house, determined no damage was caused, and she dropped her accusation.

About two years ago, we did some further renovations to the exterior of our property, and surprise surprise, she is again claiming damage. She came to our home last year and said that she waited until now to say anything because she wanted to be a good neighbor but will we please pay for her floor that is cracked. We ignored her. Late last year, we get a letter through the post (in poor English) from a solicitor saying we've damaged her floor and we need to contact our insurance to pay.

She was told that if she really believes we've caused damage, she must officially denounce our architect, etc.. She hadn't done thisthis.

However, we're here now, and she keeps knocking on our door and is now having the neighbors do the same. Neither of us speak enough Spanish to diplomatically tell her to go fly a kite, so we just don't answer the door. The knocking is incessant.

What should we do?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbor Harrassment Advise

Get a lawyer?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 9:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madame345
Hi Everyone -

I'm new to this board but not new to the area. My husband and I have a holiday home in Ayamonte which we renovated 6 years ago. During the renovation, our elderly neighbor accused us of causing damage to her property. Our architect visited her house, determined no damage was caused, and she dropped her accusation.

About two years ago, we did some further renovations to the exterior of our property, and surprise surprise, she is again claiming damage. She came to our home last year and said that she waited until now to say anything because she wanted to be a good neighbor but will we please pay for her floor that is cracked. We ignored her. Late last year, we get a letter through the post (in poor English) from a solicitor saying we've damaged her floor and we need to contact our insurance to pay.

She was told that if she really believes we've caused damage, she must officially denounce our architect, etc.. She hadn't done thisthis.

However, we're here now, and she keeps knocking on our door and is now having the neighbors do the same. Neither of us speak enough Spanish to diplomatically tell her to go fly a kite, so we just don't answer the door. The knocking is incessant.

What should we do?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 19th 2015, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pica
Get a lawyer?
It may come to that (hopefully not). Firstly, though, she knows she has to get an official survey on her house that proves that the damage she apparently noticed two years ago but is only now taking issue with is our fault and she also has to make the previously mentioned denunciation,at which point we would certainly get a solicitor. Just wondering if we should confront her, go to the police or continue doing nothing.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Thank you Rosemary for the welcome. I've been lurking around the forum for awhile and it does seem a friendly and helpful group
Old Sep 20th 2015, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning! Madame 345 and welcome,

I would strongly suggest that you answer your door to your neighbours, listen carefully and talk politely. Yes, easier said than done, but communication must be a start.

Do you have a neighbourhood association? There are several in Ayamonte for each barrio. Why not ask this question with your neighbours as you chat?

Hire a translator, if you must do, perhaps from the local language school, and ask if they live in your barrio ? Someone who can gauge the mood, and perform the customary niceties until you are comfortable to do them yourself.

All the best,

Carol
Old Sep 20th 2015, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Hi Carol -

Thank you for responding! I had no idea that each barrio has an association. I'll look into that and find out about our barrio association. Last year I did answer the door to her daily visits and politely tried to get her to understand our position. Perhaps it's time to have a translator help drive home the reality of the steps she must take if she really wants to pursue this. Honestly, I sort of feel like she may be a bit senile. In any case, a native speaker would certainly be able to sensitively address her and (fingers crossed) get her to stop bothering us.

Thanks again
Old Sep 20th 2015, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome As they say, it's good to talk. I hope you can resolve the communication problem, and eventually the issue with the property, allowing you to enjoy your home.
Out of curiosity, I googled "customary niceties in Spain", and it made for an interesting Sunday read.

Last edited by Carol&John; Sep 20th 2015 at 10:57 am. Reason: no mention of patio
Old Sep 20th 2015, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Sounds like I need to Google that as well. Yes, sometimes it's just nice to talk it out. Two heads are better than one so it's said
Old Sep 24th 2015, 9:13 am
Spanglish

Spangligh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Madame 345,

I'm a Spanish guy living in Niebla-county, nearly 100 kms from Ayamonte, but we could meet one day and try to talk to your Spanish neighbour and see what's the real problem about their complaints.
I speak enough English to translate you and try to solve the problem out one and for all, letting you and your neighbour get some relief and live happier here. So count me in if you need me for anything and at any time.
It would be a pleasure for me to help you and all our English Ayamonte club to solve any Spanish problems, always of course, under my humble English-Spanish Knowlodge.