Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Monte Francisco

Monte Francisco

Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:48 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monte Francisco

Things are looking up in MF.

With local and EU funding, they are building a park with sculptures etc just opposite the Campesino resto/bar community centre.

The Campesino has recently reopened with a new (& charming) manager, Lucia who speaks a bit of English. There is no resto, (for the moment) but snacks like eg bifanas, bacalhao a la bras etc are available......also on Sunday's there is often live music around 19:30.

We enjoy lunching in MF and having pre/post drinks at amazing prices at either Campesino, or the little bar/resto opposite Cacadores run by the equally charming Maria and her daughter Deborah.

With the Golf club charging 3.50€ for a beer, its better and cheaper to have a day out with friends and share the taxi fare.

I am always surprised how MF, a small place compared to CE, has so much more to offer. AND they are building parks etc.

The GC has been a disappointment this past 6 weeks, and I hope they will come 'alive' now that it's cooler and more golfers will come. Ive never seen the GC so dead in high season. At the same time Ive not seen CE so busy. The car parks were full. A lost opportunity. We've walked out twice, and have only gone there with a pre-arranged meeting with friends.

Thank goodness for the shop, the social centre of CE..... And to have Monte Francisco so close by.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 21st 2017 at 10:56 am.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monte Francisco

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

With local and EU funding, they are building a park with sculptures etc just opposite the Campesino resto/bar community centre.

The Campesino has recently reopened with a new (& charming) manager, Lucia who speaks a bit of English. There is no resto, (for the moment) but snacks like eg bifanas, bacalhao a la bras etc are available......also on Sunday's there is often live music around 19:30.

We enjoy lunching in MF and having pre/post drinks at amazing prices at either Campesino, or the little bar/resto opposite Cacadores run by the equally charming Maria and her daughter Deborah.

With the Golf club charging 3.50€ for a beer, its better and cheaper to have a day out with friends and share the taxi fare.

I am always surprised how MF, a small place compared to CE, has so much more to offer. AND they are building parks etc.

The GC has been a disappointment this past 6 weeks, and I hope they will come 'alive' now that it's cooler and more golfers will come. Ive never seen the GC so dead in high season. At the same time Ive not seen CE so busy. The car parks were full. A lost opportunity. We've walked out twice, and have only gone there with a pre-arranged meeting with friends.

Thank goodness for the shop, the social centre of CE..... And to have Monte Francisco so close by.

Jon
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:55 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Jon
... ? location (since I often get lost)
Hi Jon,
You mean the Portuguese MF village near the C.M course??
Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he does
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:16 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
Yes he does
Oh, thanks - I was there last week, so next time I'll keep a lookout for the new artwork.
Prices in the CM clubhouse.... well, I suppose it includes the beautiful view. I'm saving up for my next orange juice.
Thanks again!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, If you consider 3.50 for a GC beer is pricey I felt truly ripped off at the SUGAR REEF yesterday. In spring this year they made it known their Guiness was now Full on draught. No fizzed up 500m cans, but a full pint of draught. In 2016 it was 4.00 euros, and then this spring it went up to 4.50 but it WAS real draught Guiness. Yesterday, I ordered and then I heard the snap of a ring pull can being opened which was disappointing. My biggest gripe is the price is now 5.00 euros AND we are back to only 500ml not a pint (568 ml ).

Much as I like the location I will not be going back. Plently of other bars.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:21 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Guys, If you consider 3.50 for a GC beer is pricey I felt truly ripped off at the SUGAR REEF yesterday. In spring this year they made it known their Guiness was now Full on draught. No fizzed up 500m cans, but a full pint of draught. In 2016 it was 4.00 euros, and then this spring it went up to 4.50 but it WAS real draught Guiness. Yesterday, I ordered and then I heard the snap of a ring pull can being opened which was disappointing. My biggest gripe is the price is now 5.00 euros AND we are back to only 500ml not a pint (568 ml ).

Much as I like the location I will not be going back. Plently of other bars.
We never go except when England is playing in the Euros or World Cup. Then the atmosphere is great! MF as mentioned here and also Castro Marim have a large combined selection of bars and restos and you can get meals for a great price... Topped off with pre/post drinks for great prices. Go with another couple and the taxi fare is often paid off in the first couple of rounds... after that its all 'profit' and also the selection is great.

If you fancy eating al fresco, you can eat (say) at the resto on the T junction - square in CM where you turn left to go to the chemist or PO. There is a board on the tree a few yards before with the dishes of the day.

If you get a group together its fun to eat in the covered courtyard at Tasca Medieval in CM. Just past the roundabout opposite the camper vans.

I should have named this thread Castro Marin AND MF.

Have fun!!

Jon
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Ken and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant future

Re. The Sugar Reef, we love going there after a day on the beach for a couple before heading back home for a shower etc, and also for any sporting events we want to watch, and Tina is the life-blood of that place, she is quite an exceptional host and without her, the place wouldn't exist. Having said that, yes, the prices are a bit lumpy and creeping up, but in my opinion the measure's have in the last 6 months or so, been reduced quite drastically. So previously you didn't mind paying 5 Euro's or so for a Bacardi & Coke, because the measures were huge, but sadly now the measure's being served don't really warrant the cost you're getting charged, which in my opinion has taken the attraction of going there away a little. All of this is soley my opinion of course, but we'll still use the place as it's become part of our holidays in the CE/Ayamonte area.
Also, having seen the positive comments about MF & CM, we'll also have to start hunting some of the resto's/bars in those locations, quite a hardship don't you think ??. ....
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ken and Tina
Re. The Sugar Reef, we love going there after a day on the beach for a couple before heading back home for a shower etc, and also for any sporting events we want to watch, and Tina is the life-blood of that place, she is quite an exceptional host and without her, the place wouldn't exist. Having said that, yes, the prices are a bit lumpy and creeping up, but in my opinion the measure's have in the last 6 months or so, been reduced quite drastically. So previously you didn't mind paying 5 Euro's or so for a Bacardi & Coke, because the measures were huge, but sadly now the measure's being served don't really warrant the cost you're getting charged, which in my opinion has taken the attraction of going there away a little. All of this is soley my opinion of course, but we'll still use the place as it's become part of our holidays in the CE/Ayamonte area.
Also, having seen the positive comments about MF & CM, we'll also have to start hunting some of the resto's/bars in those locations, quite a hardship don't you think ??. ....
Hi Ken & Tina, there are some brilliant places to eat & drink just over the bridge in Portugal (also in Ayamonte) as Jon says &, having lived there from 2008-2015, we found that these places become favourites because you meet locals, the food & drink is great & there is always a lovely atmosphere.

Last edited by MikeCol; Oct 6th 2017 at 8:28 am.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Fiberite is an unknown quantity at this point

Likewise we only go near the place if unable to watch rugby matches elsewhere. There are rumours that they are intending to make a bid for Jags old place which is all well and good but I would much prefer a Spanish resto than the full English type fare on offer in the Sugar reef. Also agree that MF restos are v good value.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Ken and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant futureKen and Tina has a brilliant future

Well we're hoping to get out again for a sneaky week late November, and will defo have a drive around MF & CM for a look-see, appreciate that it won't be as busy as in the summer months, but will give us a good understanding of the roads & potential locations etc.
Appreciate it's only a rumor, but wouldn't take much notice of the "Jag's" rumor though, we've heard one or two others, and the Sugar Reef/Jag's one could be well down the order of merit !!. Having said that, if it were to happen, got to be way better that the current status at Jag's, regardless !?.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently, the group of homeowners that control the hola 19 property would only give a maximum lease of 5 years. I understand that Manolo removed all the kitchen equipment and extraction chimney hence the business will require a substantial investment to get it up and running. Suppose you go to all that effort, work long hard hours to make it a success and then the owners jointly decide not to renew your lease in favour of someone else. The capital investment required is too great to write down in only five years. I therefore do NOT see it reopening anytime soon. Shame, as it was so handy for us.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Jon
Hi Jon We were there on Sunday 3.20 For 2 pints of very cold larger.
We didn't eat but the smells coming out of the kitchen were
Wonderful. Lucia The manager is under going transforming the out
side area. A new brick built Stage is nearing Completion, plus new
banquetas out side. The Sunday nite Dancing has now moved
inside for the winter.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE
Hi Jon We were there on Sunday 3.20 For 2 pints of very cold larger.
We didn't eat but the smells coming out of the kitchen were
Wonderful. Lucia The manager is under going transforming the out
side area. A new brick built Stage is nearing Completion, plus new
banquetas out side. The Sunday nite Dancing has now moved
inside for the winter.

Thanks Bill and Claire

Isnt it great to see what they can do just across the water in a smaller development, imagine if we had some of that happening in the huge CE development.

Lets go there next time we get together!

Cheers

Jon
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:53 am
Banned

Really will have to explore it some more. I must have walked round in my usual daze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.