Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

La caixa bank . Unexpected freezes account .

La caixa bank . Unexpected freezes account .

Old Jul 17th 2019, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

SteveandCathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default La caixa bank . Unexpected freezes account .

Just wondered if anyone who has a La Caixa bank account has had the account frozen due to bureaucracy and needing information in person before unfreezing the account. No warning given and blaming new Spanish Central Banking regulations?.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:15 am
BE enaround

Dellaph Kite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: La caixa bank . Unexpected freezes account .

I expect this is the standard thing where the bank requires current passport or proof of identification and confirmation as to why you have the account, part of the European anti money laundering laws. Happened to me a few times, need to keep on top of it because monthly direct debits including mortgage repayments can be affected, plus you can't transfer money into the account while it's frozen. Good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:30 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveandCathy
Just wondered if anyone who has a La Caixa bank account has had the account frozen due to bureaucracy and needing information in person before unfreezing the account. No warning given and blaming new Spanish Central Banking regulations?.
Im afraid that these are EU wide rules to combat money laundering, fraud etc. For expats with non-local accounts,often not just bank accounts, but investments too.

In Spain you need to prove your residency status and details every 2 years to your Spanish bank if you are non-resident.

If you go in person with passport +NIE they will help you fill out the form and immediately unblock the account.

I personally wouldn't trust posting it in, so for me, its a trip to Huelva every 2 years.

I wanted to open a new bank account in Ayamonte, but the new rules required so much personal information, I decided to remain with my Huelva bank, as I've had the account for well over 10 years, before all these disclosures were in place.

As soon as SEPA becomes widely used in Spain, I will close my Spanish account, and pay with my local account

However you never know if they will ask later. I went into one bank with my passport for a 5 min meeting and it lasted 30 mins of questions, including for example, if I had a pre-nup or not!! In this case it was for marketing purposes and they insisted that I take a quote for home insurance!

Jon
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Evening
Yep been through this
Can you access your La Caixa account online ?
If you can check your email account it will inform you it's been frozen but you can scan the required info & send it to them ,they take JPG not PDF
We had a big problem that our account is joint names their system would only allow me to forward my documents , the computer said no about my wife & she had to visit the branch in person
That was quite long winded I'm afraid they still work on windows 7 or a previous version ,phoning the branch is waste of time I'm afraid don't bother phoning them .
Good luck
Chris
Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Been trying to close my Caixa account with little success. When we were acquired from Barclays we were assured that we could conduct all our business in any Caixa branch in Spain. Our ISBN branch code is Caixa head office address in Barcelona. At our first attempt last year we were told that we couldn't close our account but would have to go to Huelva. So we thought we would just withdraw all the cash instead - they had a branch policy of no cash withdrawals after 11:00!! It was 11:30. Last week we arrived at 10;25. There was only one teller but only 2 customers in front of us. We got to the counter at 10:59! 😠. There were told that not only was the cash counter now closed, even though we had queued for 35 mins but also our account was frozen because of the 'black money' regulations 😡🤬 and we would have to go to Huelva to unfreeze before we can close the account 😫.
We only have a few euros in the account which we left when transferred to Sabadell because of the appalling service we had been getting with Caixa.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

SteveandCathy is an unknown quantity at this point

account now ok. A task of accessing account online and tick certain boxes and amend Country of taxation and the account is cleared. Ridiculous that such a simple thing causes such a problem.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

account now ok. A task of accessing account online and tick certain boxes and amend Country of taxation and the account is cleared. Ridiculous that such a simple thing causes such a problem.
The main problem we had with Caixa was online access to our account. Certain transactions used a code card but others required us to input a code sent by SMS. Barclays and the Caixa, who seemed to continue with same IT system after the acquisition, seemed incapable of recognising a +44 number and we arranged a workaround which we lived with for some time. Eventually, when Caixa migrated their system then the SMS security check became essential so our account became unmanageable and numerous calls and visits failed to resolve. So we moved to Sabadell.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Buggsie Capone is an unknown quantity at this point

Had an account with Caixa for 35 years - never a single problem. You need to create a relationship, preferably with the manager, and speak Spanish.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Funnily enough I wouldn't totally disagree with the statement above. We are not with Caixa bank but have banked with Cajasur for 13 years. We have never experienced any problems and yes we do speak Spanish when we do any business with them and yes we are friends with the local branch manager. Mike
Old Aug 25th 2019, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

nat21 is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened a non resident account recently - to be changed to a residents account shortly - and it was frozen unexpectedly. Nearly a thousand euros frozen until 2049 !!!
Nobody in the bank could tell me why this had happened and nobody could tell me what to do about it or knew what they could do to rectify the problem!
Only after my persistence and concern over future use of our account was a phone call made to....? And an email address obtained to which an email was sent and hey presto, about 24 hours later the freeze was lifted.
I never found out why or what happened but I am considering banking elsewhere....
Old Sep 30th 2019, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

FayeDavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, We have the same problem with the bank do you know what fields you completed on the online banking? we have uploaded passports and NOE certificates
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

nat21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
we didn’t do anything online, we took everything into the bank.
we have since opened an account with Sabadell and will close our account with La Caixa because when I asked if I transferred more money would the same problem happen again, they said yes it probably would! Why? Still nobody knows ......
Old Oct 1st 2019, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nat21
Hello!
we didn’t do anything online, we took everything into the bank.
we have since opened an account with Sabadell and will close our account with La Caixa because when I asked if I transferred more money would the same problem happen again, they said yes it probably would! Why? Still nobody knows ......
Good luck with that😫 We have been trying to close our Caixa account for 2 years. It only has a few Euros in it now so we thought we'd just drain the account and leave it - now the account has been frozen. The ISBN branch code doesn't seem to exist any more (it was one of the former Barclay branches)