Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IDP post hard Brexit?

IDP post hard Brexit?

Old Feb 5th 2019, 9:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by chrismortley;12632734[img
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/britishexpats.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/idp_68f732b5cd1df191f71da10047b6fedc59eec209.jpg[/img]
How easy was that
Takes 5 mins , no forms ,only need driving licence , passport photo & money the post office do the rest

Very nice. My current 1949 IDP is about to expire so I’ll furnish myself with a nice new set like yours. Good to have confirmation that the 1968 IDP is valid for three years.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley

How easy was that
Takes 5 mins , no forms ,only need driving licence , passport photo & money the post office do the rest
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Update on exchange of UK Licence to Spanish Licence
My initial post indicated that it would take about a month for the DVLA check for my Licence. Well, that took less than a week (maybe the DVLA are prioritising requests until 29th March) and I received an email from the DGT yesterday and am returning next Friday for the next stage. Will keep you updated on development for anyone interested in the process and timeline.
Elizabeth
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

PS. I noticed in an earlier post by neil77 that he said, "As I understand it, one has to apply for residency in Spain if you have lived here for 6 months, but one cannot apply to exchange the driving licence until you have lived here two years. I could be wrong on that but Im sure I read it somewhere in the reams of info that is on the internet."

The bold underlined section is incorrect, you can apply to exchange your driving licence at anytime. You don't have to have lived here for 2 years. (neil77 did say he could be wrong so no criticism intended - just a clarification.)
Hope this helps.
Elizabeth
Old Feb 11th 2019, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Slight snag. Went to PO for IDPs. OH, no problems, issued in 5 mins. However, they will only issue the IDP if your DL is valid. Unfortunately mine is due for renewal shortly so they would only give me 2 months!!.
However, one can renew the DL up to 90 days in advance. So I should be able to get my IDP in time for our Easter trip. If we don't have a hard B then I can save £5.50😁
Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Torrevieja TranslatorsLike Page
· We are noticing more and more people who have laminated Residencia cards. Please do not do this, share and warn all your friends also not to do this. It makes your card invalid and so for example as we are doing Driving Licence Exchanges at the DGT (Tráfico) they are rejecting the application due to Laminated Residencia as manipulating official documents in any way, including lamination, makes the document invalid to all authorities and you can find yourself having to re-apply for residencia in order to get a duplicate document. When you're in your bank, ask them if you can get a plastic wallet for your bank card and use this to store your credit card sized Residencia card.

As you can see in this picture, this Residencia card has been completely enclosed in a layer of plastic from which the original paper cannot be removed for verification.

The original document usually has a very thin layer of laminate on the back as standard, so do not worry if yours has this. So long as the front and back has not been changed from the way it was issued to you, you have a valid document.

Found this on the N332 site - so if you have laminated your residenci, look out
Old Feb 13th 2019, 6:17 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Ohmigosh ... What a uturn on hard Bredit... I cant believe he has changed his tune... Note even though this is the Express... He is quoted in this article

Jon
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...free-trade/amp
Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Ohmigosh ... What a uturn on hard Bredit... I cant believe he has changed his tune... Note even though this is the Express... He is quoted in this article

Jon
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...free-trade/amp
Not really a U - turn more a possible cross roads. Maybe a new world order after tremendous upheaval and damage to the UK or (more likely given Trump policies) a return to protectionism, nationalism and trade barriers. Neither of which roads looks appealing.🤔🙂
Old Feb 14th 2019, 7:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a U - turn more a possible cross roads. Maybe a new world order after tremendous upheaval and damage to the UK or (more likely given Trump policies) a return to protectionism, nationalism and trade barriers. Neither of which roads looks appealing.🤔🙂
Its interesting how the news is reported in different papers depending on which side they are on.... And likewise how we read it ! I see positive indications here.... But IMO Carney has already lost credibility in his past comments... So I take it with a pinch of salt.

I've never been a conspiracy theorist but with all our internet privacy gone I wonder if this whole thing has been an exercise of mass manipulating the population.... On both sides. ... By 'evil powers' . I see a big guy smiling and stroking his white cat

Who/what can we believe??? ... And no wonder the country is divided and in confusion!

Well both of us have picked our 'side' ..

We have already been forced to.... ' enter the twilight zone'

Jon
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

His name is Paul Dacre and his paymaster Viscount Rothermere.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Slight snag. Went to PO for IDPs. OH, no problems, issued in 5 mins. However, they will only issue the IDP if your DL is valid. Unfortunately mine is due for renewal shortly so they would only give me 2 months!!.
However, one can renew the DL up to 90 days in advance. So I should be able to get my IDP in time for our Easter trip. If we don't have a hard B then I can save £5.50😁
I posted before that I got my IDP at the beginning of October fearing there might be a last minute rush causing delays. Well here in Gibraltar it is now a three week wait, who knows what it will be by late March.

Reference to renewal of driving license mine now has to be renewed every three years along with a eye test ( hospital ) and medical ( Doctor ) all free.
However the renewal date is my birthday, license generally takes a week . I have always gone away for my birthday usually driving to Portugal, but of course my license runs out in the middle of the holiday.
Last time I appealed to our Minister of Transport and was allowed to renew a couple of weeks earlier but it still runs out on my birthday, Therefore more letters and waste of ministerial time this year.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

IMPORTANT INFORMATION/CHANGES REGARDING UK DRIVING LICENCES RELEASED, FRIDAY 15 MARCH 2019, BY THE PORTUGUESE GOVERNMENT/IMT.

POST BREXIT:

1. British citizens resident in the UK, and holders of UK driving licences, can visit and drive IN PORTUGAL for up to 185 days WITHOUT an International Drivers Permit.

2. British citizens who move to Portugal permanently to become residents will have 90 days, from the day they become resident, to exchange their UK driving licence. Failure to do so will mean taking a driving test.

3. UK driving licences ALREADY registered at IMT will still be considered third country national driving licences and therefore will be subject to third country national rules and need to be exchanged.

4. The British Embassy confirmed with me this morning, EU (Portuguese) driving licences CAN be driven on in the UK. It is not known, at the moment, how long an EU driving licence can be used for when visiting and being driven on in the UK.

5. An EU (Portuguese) driving licence, can be used to drive in any EU Member State.

Don't know if item 1. will apply in Spain.

Last edited by MikeCol; Mar 18th 2019 at 4:14 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

bear in mind; Portugal’s commitment to preserving ‘the world’s oldest alliance’ (the 1386 Treaty of Windsor)
Old Mar 19th 2019, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeCol
IMPORTANT INFORMATION/CHANGES REGARDING UK DRIVING LICENCES RELEASED, FRIDAY 15 MARCH 2019, BY THE PORTUGUESE GOVERNMENT/IMT.

POST BREXIT:

1. British citizens resident in the UK, and holders of UK driving licences, can visit and drive IN PORTUGAL for up to 185 days WITHOUT an International Drivers Permit.

2. British citizens who move to Portugal permanently to become residents will have 90 days, from the day they become resident, to exchange their UK driving licence. Failure to do so will mean taking a driving test.

3. UK driving licences ALREADY registered at IMT will still be considered third country national driving licences and therefore will be subject to third country national rules and need to be exchanged.

4. The British Embassy confirmed with me this morning, EU (Portuguese) driving licences CAN be driven on in the UK. It is not known, at the moment, how long an EU driving licence can be used for when visiting and being driven on in the UK.

5. An EU (Portuguese) driving licence, can be used to drive in any EU Member State.

Don't know if item 1. will apply in Spain.
Bugger - that's £5.50 down the drain - still got the 1968 one for Spain tho'
Old Mar 19th 2019, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger - that's £5.50 down the drain - still got the 1968 one for Spain tho'
We spent about €800 on Kath’s Irish citizenship and passport which is looking increasingly unnecessary when Brexshit doesn’t happen. On top of that we changed her licence to Spanish another €27 and we both corrected mistakes Mr plod had made on our “Residencia Permanente” way back in 2005 which persisted through each iteration. We have also made many visits to the INSS in Ayamonte to get Kath properly into the system all down to Mr plods original mistakes. If time and trouble, diesel and miles to Huelva plus copies of Padron etc I reckon we are about €1500 down.

The only saving grace is that with the same surname and nationality as our granddaughters she can fly out of Ireland without hassle with them for holidays if mum and dad are not available.

Do you think JR Smog might slip us a slice of his £7m or better still P May a touch of his billion as recompense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.