IDP post hard Brexit?

Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:39 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default IDP post hard Brexit?

If we hard Brexit in March then we will be treated as non-EU citizens. According to briefings there could be different IDP versions for different countries. Eg Spain accepts 1949 convention but France (and most of the EU according to briefings) accept 1968 convention. So if you drive to Spain via France you will need to carry both. However, Portugal is not specified in the briefings so you might assume it comes under "rest of the EU". But is this correct? If you rent from Faro for use in Spain will you need 2 IDPs?
However, looking at the UN 1949 convention, Portugal is listed, so will Portugal accept the 1949 version?
Or would it be safer to get both anyway? I suspect in practical terms you could probably get away with either but you never know when you will meet a jobsworth!

PS: I have just found that Portugal are signatories to the 1968 Vienna convention. Does this supercede the 1949?

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 13th 2019 at 12:59 pm.
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:13 am
  #2  
BE Positive
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
If we hard Brexit in March then we will be treated as non-EU citizens. According to briefings there could be different IDP versions for different countries. Eg Spain accepts 1949 convention but France (and most of the EU according to briefings) accept 1968 convention. So if you drive to Spain via France you will need to carry both. However, Portugal is not specified in the briefings so you might assume it comes under "rest of the EU". But is this correct? If you rent from Faro for use in Spain will you need 2 IDPs?
However, looking at the UN 1949 convention, Portugal is listed, so will Portugal accept the 1949 version?
Or would it be safer to get both anyway? I suspect in practical terms you could probably get away with either but you never know when you will meet a jobsworth!

PS: I have just found that Portugal are signatories to the 1968 Vienna convention. Does this supercede the 1949?
I saw this from the RAC https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/

But it doesn't answer the Portugal or the convention questions. But perhaps its best to get both anyway, as you often drive in - its a case of 'CYA!'. You can imagine the mad-frustration of arriving abroad and cant drive!

Here is a more comprehensive article from the Algarve press concerning all aspects of ne-deal preparation. ''Are you Brexit proof'

https://algarvedailynews.com/legal/14969-are-you-brexit-proof

Jon
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2019, 5:30 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl View Post
I saw this from the RAC https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/

But it doesn't answer the Portugal or the convention questions. But perhaps its best to get both anyway, as you often drive in - its a case of 'CYA!'. You can imagine the mad-frustration of arriving abroad and cant drive!

Here is a more comprehensive article from the Algarve press concerning all aspects of ne-deal preparation. ''Are you Brexit proof'

https://algarvedailynews.com/legal/14969-are-you-brexit-proof

Jon
That's what I am going to do. Got photos done today and will go to the Post Office tomorrow after my hospital visit. Unfortunately only 90 POs in the UK can issue them at the moment. It changes after 1st Feb when AA/RAC cannot issue them but more POs will. I trying to beat the rush! 😜🐘
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:26 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

:Well, I've got the 1949 IDP which means I'll be OK in Spain but the 1968 IDP will only be available in Post Offices (no longer AA or RAC) after 31st January 2019
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 9:36 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 28
Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Got mine also. Not sure I’ll need it but for £8.50 it’s worth the money for reduced hassle.

Last edited by Martin mc; Jan 22nd 2019 at 9:37 pm. Reason: Mistake
Martin mc is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:23 am
  #6  
BE Positive
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by Martin mc View Post
Got mine also. Not sure I’ll need it but for £8.50 it’s worth the money for reduced hassle.
Gosh, thats a walk down memory lane! I havent seen one of those since the mid 80's when I worked in the USA. I wish I still looked like I did in the photo!

So Martin, did you also get the other one as well?

I recall that it wasn't a big deal getting this ''back in the day" so whilst this is a 'newish' change, it isnt IMO, a huge hassle. In a no deal scenario we have the timeframe Feb 1 - 29/3 to get these including at the PO as an extra option by then. The minority of Brits travel abroad too. So us cross-border travellers have an additional thing on the checklist. Youve done it to save far bigger hassles in case of a no-deal as an 'insurance'. Mike will get both, for hassle-free travel too.

Also did I read somewhere that validity will become 3 years? The 1968 IDP will cover the whole of the base UK licence, I think. So, again IMO, more of an admin matter to check off. (For us)

I do see problems with the occasional traveller who hasnt checked the IDP regs, though.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 23rd 2019 at 9:15 am.
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 4:22 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Uncle Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 131
Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

There’s a link HERE to the UK Post Office site which is quite helpful. Apologies if it’s already been posted.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; Jan 23rd 2019 at 4:24 pm.
Uncle Buck is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 4:56 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl View Post
Gosh, thats a walk down memory lane! I havent seen one of those since the mid 80's when I worked in the USA. I wish I still looked like I did in the photo!

So Martin, did you also get the other one as well?

I recall that it wasn't a big deal getting this ''back in the day" so whilst this is a 'newish' change, it isnt IMO, a huge hassle. In a no deal scenario we have the timeframe Feb 1 - 29/3 to get these including at the PO as an extra option by then. The minority of Brits travel abroad too. So us cross-border travellers have an additional thing on the checklist. Youve done it to save far bigger hassles in case of a no-deal as an 'insurance'. Mike will get both, for hassle-free travel too.

Also did I read somewhere that validity will become 3 years? The 1968 IDP will cover the whole of the base UK licence, I think. So, again IMO, more of an admin matter to check off. (For us)

I do see problems with the occasional traveller who hasnt checked the IDP regs, though.

Jon
The only ones you can get at the moment are 1926 (some South American countries) and 1949 version - which is OK for Spain and Malta but not 1968 Vienna protocol which include Portugal and France. The 1968 protocol IDP will be available in UK Post Offices from 1st Feb 2019. Unfortunately Spain has not yet ratified the 1968 protocol so if you want to be legal in Spain and Portugal and/or France you will need both.. You will no longer be able to get IDP from AA or RAC after 31st Jan.
All in the event of a no-deal Brexit of course.
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 7:43 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 28
Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl View Post
Gosh, thats a walk down memory lane! I havent seen one of those since the mid 80's when I worked in the USA. I wish I still looked like I did in the photo!

So Martin, did you also get the other one as well?

I recall that it wasn't a big deal getting this ''back in the day" so whilst this is a 'newish' change, it isnt IMO, a huge hassle. In a no deal scenario we have the timeframe Feb 1 - 29/3 to get these including at the PO as an extra option by then. The minority of Brits travel abroad too. So us cross-border travellers have an additional thing on the checklist. Youve done it to save far bigger hassles in case of a no-deal as an 'insurance'. Mike will get both, for hassle-free travel too.

Also did I read somewhere that validity will become 3 years? The 1968 IDP will cover the whole of the base UK licence, I think. So, again IMO, more of an admin matter to check off. (For us)

I do see problems with the occasional traveller who hasnt checked the IDP regs, though.

Jon
Hi Jon,

Not got the the other one yet, hopefully have it this weekend. A bit belt and braces I know but we can’t be too sure which way it’s going to go.

Regards

Martin.
Martin mc is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:49 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by Martin mc View Post


Hi Jon,

Not got the the other one yet, hopefully have it this weekend. A bit belt and braces I know but we can’t be too sure which way it’s going to go.

Regards

Martin.
Unless you're getting it by post from the AA before 31st Jan, then you will able only be able to get it over 2000 Post Offices for £5.50 after 1st Feb. Post Office don't have an online service so no idea how a non-UK resident gets one if they are still driving on a UK Drivers Licence??
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:07 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 28
Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
Unless you're getting it by post from the AA before 31st Jan, then you will able only be able to get it over 2000 Post Offices for £5.50 after 1st Feb. Post Office don't have an online service so no idea how a non-UK resident gets one if they are still driving on a UK Drivers Licence??
As long as you apply before the 31st January the AA will post overseas.

Martin mc is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2019, 1:30 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Although the application form you have shown is 1926 and 1949 and NOT for 1968 (which is what I said in my previous post)
If you look on the back of the paper application form it gives a list of the countries for each of the 1926 and 1949 protocols and indeed Portugal is on the '49 BUT
If you look at the UN (Vienna) protocol on Transport and Travel it lists Portugal as having ratified the 1968 protocol and that this supersedes the 1949 protocol.

I'm not sure how the AA have been getting away with not actually issuing the latest IDP for so long but maybe most travelers went to the EU and didn't need one (or maybe nobody actually noticed and nobody actually asked to see one, which is probably more likely!).

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 24th 2019 at 1:37 am.
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:26 am
  #13  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,705
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
Although the application form you have shown is 1926 and 1949 and NOT for 1968 (which is what I said in my previous post)
If you look on the back of the paper application form it gives a list of the countries for each of the 1926 and 1949 protocols and indeed Portugal is on the '49 BUT
If you look at the UN (Vienna) protocol on Transport and Travel it lists Portugal as having ratified the 1968 protocol and that this supersedes the 1949 protocol.

I'm not sure how the AA have been getting away with not actually issuing the latest IDP for so long but maybe most travelers went to the EU and didn't need one (or maybe nobody actually noticed and nobody actually asked to see one, which is probably more likely!).
Because the UK only ratified the 1968 protocol in March as part of its No Deal Brexit planning.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2019, 7:19 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
chrismortley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Isla Canela & Mountnessing
Posts: 687
chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Morning All
This may be obvious but anyone intending to apply for the new IDP from the post office ASAP check on the branch finder to find your nearest office .You may well find the closest branch is miles away ,mine certainly is

Chris
chrismortley is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2019, 5:24 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,654
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Because the UK only ratified the 1968 protocol in March as part of its No Deal Brexit planning.
Surely it's when the foreign country ratifies the convention because that's where it will be used. (according to the UN, which says that ratification supercedes the 49)
In any case it was part of the UN Vienna treaty which was ratified a lot earlier than March 2019!

I can understand that they have set up the Post Office to be able to issue 1968 IDP in time for Brexit otherwise we might have realised that those of us who needed 68 IDPs in the past were being flogged useless (if challenged) IDPs.

Up until now The Post Office could not issue IDPs except as an agent of the AA which is/was the authorised issuer. Interesting factoid! I wonder if the AA have lost their monopoly franchise?

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 24th 2019 at 5:46 pm.
MikeJ is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.