British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   IDP post hard Brexit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/idp-post-hard-brexit-920988/)

MikeJ Jan 13th 2019 11:39 am

IDP post hard Brexit?

If we hard Brexit in March then we will be treated as non-EU citizens. According to briefings there could be different IDP versions for different countries. Eg Spain accepts 1949 convention but France (and most of the EU according to briefings) accept 1968 convention. So if you drive to Spain via France you will need to carry both. However, Portugal is not specified in the briefings so you might assume it comes under "rest of the EU". But is this correct? If you rent from Faro for use in Spain will you need 2 IDPs?
However, looking at the UN 1949 convention, Portugal is listed, so will Portugal accept the 1949 version?
Or would it be safer to get both anyway? I suspect in practical terms you could probably get away with either but you never know when you will meet a jobsworth!

PS: I have just found that Portugal are signatories to the 1968 Vienna convention. Does this supercede the 1949?

Jon-Bxl Jan 17th 2019 6:13 am

Re: IDP post hard Brexit?

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12620752)
If we hard Brexit in March then we will be treated as non-EU citizens. According to briefings there could be different IDP versions for different countries. Eg Spain accepts 1949 convention but France (and most of the EU according to briefings) accept 1968 convention. So if you drive to Spain via France you will need to carry both. However, Portugal is not specified in the briefings so you might assume it comes under "rest of the EU". But is this correct? If you rent from Faro for use in Spain will you need 2 IDPs?
However, looking at the UN 1949 convention, Portugal is listed, so will Portugal accept the 1949 version?
Or would it be safer to get both anyway? I suspect in practical terms you could probably get away with either but you never know when you will meet a jobsworth!

PS: I have just found that Portugal are signatories to the 1968 Vienna convention. Does this supercede the 1949?

I saw this from the RAC https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/

But it doesn't answer the Portugal or the convention questions. But perhaps its best to get both anyway, as you often drive in - its a case of 'CYA!'. You can imagine the mad-frustration of arriving abroad and cant drive! :wub:

Here is a more comprehensive article from the Algarve press concerning all aspects of ne-deal preparation. ''Are you Brexit proof'

https://algarvedailynews.com/legal/14969-are-you-brexit-proof

Jon

MikeJ Jan 21st 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12622872)
I saw this from the RAC https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/

But it doesn't answer the Portugal or the convention questions. But perhaps its best to get both anyway, as you often drive in - its a case of 'CYA!'. You can imagine the mad-frustration of arriving abroad and cant drive! :wub:

Here is a more comprehensive article from the Algarve press concerning all aspects of ne-deal preparation. ''Are you Brexit proof'

https://algarvedailynews.com/legal/14969-are-you-brexit-proof

Jon

That's what I am going to do. Got photos done today and will go to the Post Office tomorrow after my hospital visit. Unfortunately only 90 POs in the UK can issue them at the moment. It changes after 1st Feb when AA/RAC cannot issue them but more POs will. I trying to beat the rush! 😜🐘

MikeJ Jan 22nd 2019 7:26 pm

:Well, I've got the 1949 IDP which means I'll be OK in Spain but the 1968 IDP will only be available in Post Offices (no longer AA or RAC) after 31st January 2019

Martin mc Jan 22nd 2019 8:36 pm

Got mine also. Not sure I’ll need it but for £8.50 it’s worth the money for reduced hassle.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...055a73eef.jpeg

Jon-Bxl Jan 23rd 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Martin mc (Post 12625833)
Got mine also. Not sure I’ll need it but for £8.50 it’s worth the money for reduced hassle.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...055a73eef.jpeg

Gosh, thats a walk down memory lane! I havent seen one of those since the mid 80's when I worked in the USA. I wish I still looked like I did in the photo!

So Martin, did you also get the other one as well?

I recall that it wasn't a big deal getting this ''back in the day" so whilst this is a 'newish' change, it isnt IMO, a huge hassle. In a no deal scenario we have the timeframe Feb 1 - 29/3 to get these including at the PO as an extra option by then. The minority of Brits travel abroad too. So us cross-border travellers have an additional thing on the checklist. Youve done it to save far bigger hassles in case of a no-deal as an 'insurance'. Mike will get both, for hassle-free travel too.

Also did I read somewhere that validity will become 3 years? The 1968 IDP will cover the whole of the base UK licence, I think. So, again IMO, more of an admin matter to check off. (For us)

I do see problems with the occasional traveller who hasnt checked the IDP regs, though.

Jon

Uncle Buck Jan 23rd 2019 3:22 pm

There’s a link HERE to the UK Post Office site which is quite helpful. Apologies if it’s already been posted.

MikeJ Jan 23rd 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12625968)
Gosh, thats a walk down memory lane! I havent seen one of those since the mid 80's when I worked in the USA. I wish I still looked like I did in the photo!

I recall that it wasn't a big deal getting this ''back in the day" so whilst this is a 'newish' change, it isnt IMO, a huge hassle. In a no deal scenario we have the timeframe Feb 1 - 29/3 to get these including at the PO as an extra option by then. The minority of Brits travel abroad too. So us cross-border travellers have an additional thing on the checklist. Youve done it to save far bigger hassles in case of a no-deal as an 'insurance'. Mike will get both, for hassle-free travel too.

Also did I read somewhere that validity will become 3 years? The 1968 IDP will cover the whole of the base UK licence, I think. So, again IMO, more of an admin matter to check off. (For us)

I do see problems with the occasional traveller who hasnt checked the IDP regs, though.

Jon

The only ones you can get at the moment are 1926 (some South American countries) and 1949 version - which is OK for Spain and Malta but not 1968 Vienna protocol which include Portugal and France. The 1968 protocol IDP will be available in UK Post Offices from 1st Feb 2019. Unfortunately Spain has not yet ratified the 1968 protocol so if you want to be legal in Spain and Portugal and/or France you will need both.. You will no longer be able to get IDP from AA or RAC after 31st Jan.
All in the event of a no-deal Brexit of course.

Martin mc Jan 23rd 2019 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12625968)

Jon

Hi Jon,

Not got the the other one yet, hopefully have it this weekend. A bit belt and braces I know but we can’t be too sure which way it’s going to go.

Regards

Martin.

MikeJ Jan 23rd 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Martin mc (Post 12626254)

Hi Jon,

Not got the the other one yet, hopefully have it this weekend. A bit belt and braces I know but we can’t be too sure which way it’s going to go.

Regards

Martin.

Unless you're getting it by post from the AA before 31st Jan, then you will able only be able to get it over 2000 Post Offices for £5.50 after 1st Feb. Post Office don't have an online service so no idea how a non-UK resident gets one if they are still driving on a UK Drivers Licence??

Martin mc Jan 23rd 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12626301)
Unless you're getting it by post from the AA before 31st Jan, then you will able only be able to get it over 2000 Post Offices for £5.50 after 1st Feb. Post Office don't have an online service so no idea how a non-UK resident gets one if they are still driving on a UK Drivers Licence??

As long as you apply before the 31st January the AA will post overseas.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...efb79b3208.png

MikeJ Jan 24th 2019 12:30 am

Although the application form you have shown is 1926 and 1949 and NOT for 1968 (which is what I said in my previous post)
If you look on the back of the paper application form it gives a list of the countries for each of the 1926 and 1949 protocols and indeed Portugal is on the '49 BUT
If you look at the UN (Vienna) protocol on Transport and Travel it lists Portugal as having ratified the 1968 protocol and that this supersedes the 1949 protocol.

I'm not sure how the AA have been getting away with not actually issuing the latest IDP for so long but maybe most travelers went to the EU and didn't need one (or maybe nobody actually noticed and nobody actually asked to see one, which is probably more likely!).

BritInParis Jan 24th 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12626400)
Although the application form you have shown is 1926 and 1949 and NOT for 1968 (which is what I said in my previous post)
If you look on the back of the paper application form it gives a list of the countries for each of the 1926 and 1949 protocols and indeed Portugal is on the '49 BUT
If you look at the UN (Vienna) protocol on Transport and Travel it lists Portugal as having ratified the 1968 protocol and that this supersedes the 1949 protocol.

I'm not sure how the AA have been getting away with not actually issuing the latest IDP for so long but maybe most travelers went to the EU and didn't need one (or maybe nobody actually noticed and nobody actually asked to see one, which is probably more likely!).

Because the UK only ratified the 1968 protocol in March as part of its No Deal Brexit planning.

chrismortley Jan 24th 2019 6:19 am

Morning All
This may be obvious but anyone intending to apply for the new IDP from the post office ASAP check on the branch finder to find your nearest office .You may well find the closest branch is miles away ,mine certainly is

Chris

MikeJ Jan 24th 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12626410)
Because the UK only ratified the 1968 protocol in March as part of its No Deal Brexit planning.

Surely it's when the foreign country ratifies the convention because that's where it will be used. (according to the UN, which says that ratification supercedes the 49)
In any case it was part of the UN Vienna treaty which was ratified a lot earlier than March 2019!

I can understand that they have set up the Post Office to be able to issue 1968 IDP in time for Brexit otherwise we might have realised that those of us who needed 68 IDPs in the past were being flogged useless (if challenged) IDPs.

Up until now The Post Office could not issue IDPs except as an agent of the AA which is/was the authorised issuer. Interesting factoid! I wonder if the AA have lost their monopoly franchise?