Goodbye Sky TV

Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:32 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
If. The Guy is right and in his area the dish size has gone down to 80cm there could be a good second hand trade to be had in recycling the bigger dishes for resale to further south. Perhaps The Guy could operate this as a sidlne!
plenty of proper made 2.4m channel master dishs for sale here soon ...much better then those cheap thin spray painted flannel dish from brazil ....ops sorry Portugal ....

are you saying you need a smaller dish then the SES diagram shows ...shame on you ... you well know that dish sizes are based on rain attenuation and that you go by the recommendation from SES/EUTELSAT to cope with it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_fade
you do forget that i installed my first satellite dish in 1987 ,and was at the launch party for 1A alongside mr murdoch ...

and you also should know that the side lobes are not going to be the same on 2E ...even if it has not got a SPECIAL BESPOKE REFLECTOR on it ,which i think it has

still waiting for my cost of dishs for MALAGA/GIBRALTAR/ALGARVE ....

Last edited by BAT7311; Jan 10th 2014 at 1:41 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:35 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAT7311
you can quote prices you charge but i am not allowed to say what my prices are
I think I was responding to the inflated / misunderstood prices you quoted (you said 1500 for a 1.9m dish!) And in answer to others questions. No blatent selling or self publicity there - just answering questions and correcting you...(which is taking too much of my time!)

if we just go with the guy can he tell me what he thinks is the cost of a ASTRA2F dish in Gibraltar or south portugal plus installation will be??
I have no idea what sized dish is actually required for the UK beams in those area - don't cover that area - and even your map you link to does not have that data - and neither do the SES maps. And it will depends which of the dishes perform best...there are a number to choose from. You quoted 3000 for a CM 2.4 (I see according to your map link a 2.4m CM gets 2F on your islands - (strange didn't you say a 5m would be required...?)

But then like I have said, it is very area specific, and you cannot generalise, like so many do, and areas will be better off, others will not, some will have no choice but to go for a iptv / xbmc / filmon system, others may wish to go for satellite, even if it means a large dish. I accept people have a choice between two system, if they can receive one or the other, or depending which they prefer - why cannot you???

still waiting for my cost of dishs for MALAGA/GIBRALTAR/ALGARVE ....
However, Oi have seen reports (but cannot find the link for you) of a 1.8m dish installed in Andalucía area (no idea where in Andalucía, so cannot be more specific as I am sure some areas have better reception than others!) working fine with 2F - not referenced on your linked map - I do not know what they paid for it. Also seen references for the same dish working fine in Malaga - again noit shown on your maps. So a few peolkle in that area have already bitten and upgraded. Other are presumably waiting to see about 2E. But you know what the rates for that dish in my area are.

are you saying you need a smaller dish then the SES diagram shows ...shame on you ... you well know that dish sizes are based on rain attenuation and that you go by the recommendation from SES/EUTELSAT to cope with it
Now there you go again making out I said something that I did not actually say.

Do you not read what others say - are you that blinkered!! I have just said "Although I can receive good signals on my 80cm dish where I am, I would not install it to a client, opting for the slightly larger 90/100cm dish - gives a bit more leeway for the few days rain we have!"

The SES footprint maps show NO data for the UK beam for 2e, 2f, or 2g for Spain. So how the hell can we see what SES / EUTELSAT recommend for Spain for that beam ???

you do forget that i installed my first satellite dish in 1987 ,and was at the launch party for 1A alongside mr murdoch ...
Is that mean to be a good point or a bad point...?

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 10th 2014 at 1:52 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:56 pm
Banned

´´ You quoted 3000 for a CM 2.4 (I see according to your map link a 2.4m CM gets 2F on your islands - (strange didn't you say a 5m would be required...?) ´´

ah but we are talking REAL PROPER ANDREWS 2.7M OFFSET here (but they still say ´´ C5's pixellating´´) and NOWT on the 2,4M ANDREWS and both using
INVACOM LNB and HUMAX

none of these people get this on a SKY BOX ...

can i give you a tip ... i would grab those large painted flannel dishs asap ,its a long way and a long time to get the next lot from the factory in brazil..

Last edited by BAT7311; Jan 10th 2014 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:59 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

´´ You quoted 3000 for a CM 2.4 (I see according to your map link a 2.4m CM gets 2F on your islands - (strange didn't you say a 5m would be required...?) ´´

ah but we are talking REAL PROPER ANDREWS 2.7M OFFSET here (but they still say ´´ C5's pixellating´´) and NOWT on the 2,4M ANDREWS and both using
INVACOM LNB and HUMAX

none of these people get this on a SKY BOX ...
I have no idea - I did not install them and I do not know those people personally - only going on the data on the map you provided a link to.....that has people with a 2.4m dish getting 2F...
"2.7m C4 HD fine, C5's pixellating"
"2.4m Channel Master Watchable - some pixellation on C5, ITV Central E & 4Seven fine."
"270cm Laminas offset Humax foxsat PVR Invacom quad LNB"
"2.4m Andrews / CM - LNB - Inverto Black Utra Quad - No reception on 11126V, horizontals ok."

you are not limited to only a Sky box for basic FTA chanenls - other boxes are available...so mentioning that is kindof irrelevant.

´´ can i give you a tip ...
No but I feel as if you will anyway...

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 10th 2014 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Cool, I will take the chance now, thanks
Personally I would wait until 2E is operational.
It is too close to things happening to go ahead now.
However, you are armed with the facts of current reception, and the speculation about future reception, so at the end of the day it is your choice.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Guy
I have no idea - I did not install them and I do not know those people personally - only going on the data on the map you provided a link to.....that has people with a 2.4m dish getting 2F...
"2.7m C4 HD fine, C5's pixellating"
"2.4m Channel Master Watchable - some pixellation on C5, ITV Central E & 4Seven fine."
"270cm Laminas offset Humax foxsat PVR Invacom quad LNB"
"2.4m Andrews / CM - LNB - Inverto Black Utra Quad - No reception on 11126V, horizontals ok."

you are not limited to only a Sky box for basic FTA chanenls - other boxes are available...so mentioning that is kindof irrelevant.

No but I feel as if you will anyway...
these are people who are ´´hams´´ i dont know anyone who ´´watchs´´ TV
ie sky VIEWERS who has got anything ... also these are PROPER DISHS not metal micky brazil ones that are being sold to people now on the mainland - are you using INVACOM LNBS on them - good luck on those supplies holding up - we to had people selling dishs from thailand and other places .... glad we can finally move on into the 21st ....
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:25 pm
Banned

However, you are armed with the facts of current reception, and the speculation about future reception, so at the end of the day it is your choice.
from your point of view i would agree with you - however do you think there are 30,000 large dishs LNBS and people to install them ASAP ???

you can take our boxes home in your shopping bag and to be honest can be installed in minutes by mr average .... and with 80,000 waiting to go and production of 50,000 a month ,where will IPTV and DISH TV be by 1/3 ???

ive added 12 more customer just sitting here this pm most in spain but one in canada ...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, They cant order a dish til Monday so I will sweat on it for the weekend.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

from your point of view i would agree with you - however do you think there are 30,000 large dishs LNBS and people to install them ASAP ???

you can take our boxes home in your shopping bag and to be honest can be installed in minutes by mr average .... and with 80,000 waiting to go and production of 50,000 a month ,where will IPTV and DISH TV be by 1/3 ???

ive added 12 more customer just sitting here this pm most in spain but one in canada ...
Fair enough but please understand some people just don't want that, me for one.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Ok, They cant order a dish til Monday so I will sweat on it for the weekend.
From someone who is loving watching the ding-dong on this Ayamonte Club thread being played out but who also has some connection to the Ayamonte area, I have formed opinions about what I intend to do after the anticipated "big bang" next month. They don't necessarily involve IPTV but it might involve installing broadband. I'm thinking of a slingbox solution but I'm also thinking to install a Sky box (I have Freeview) and forego BBC, ITV, C4 etc saving the cost of broadband which I currently receive as a 3G dongle.

However, I think the Guy's recommendation to wait to see what happens is the best advice and I think your sweating over the weekend should lead to the same view. My sixpence worth.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cleverdic
From someone who is loving watching the ding-dong on this Ayamonte Club thread being played out but who also has some connection to the Ayamonte area, I have formed opinions about what I intend to do after the anticipated "big bang" next month. They don't necessarily involve IPTV but it might involve installing broadband. I'm thinking of a slingbox solution but I'm also thinking to install a Sky box (I have Freeview) and forego BBC, ITV, C4 etc saving the cost of broadband which I currently receive as a 3G dongle.

However, I think the Guy's recommendation to wait to see what happens is the best advice and I think your sweating over the weekend should lead to the same view. My sixpence worth.
I do apologise for butting in this area (ayamonte)

the problem is When I moved Mid Oct, was said to be november, now everytime I asked someone, it was to be a 14days after and you can look back on the main thread to see that, then it was December, then Jan and now Feb, if I had just bit the bullet as I wanted instead of being put off (not by the Guy) by local installers, I would have had it for 4 months no problem.

The flip side to is other than Hollyoaks, CBB and a few other prog's I have not actually watched much TV, Ive watched a lot of stand up comedy and films on Netflix etc, a few downloads, a few yank progs on Al Jaz and a bit of Spanish Paramount, MTV and Cuatro which I like, helps with the language etc.

I have not missed any TV really, but I am fed up and sick of the o/h taking all my internet up while she watches continous UK TV, she is away next week so I could ask him to put off a week.

I do miss a bit of Nat Geo and CSI Miami and stuff like that, I am not at all into BBC or ITV, I am happy to watch them if and when needed on catchup in my own time.

Bear in mind it is only the Dish fitting + cable that I would be liable to pay for, I should have just done it.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

I do apologise for butting in this area (ayamonte)
Apology accepted. he heh....

the problem is When I moved Mid Oct, was said to be november, now everytime I asked someone, it was to be a 14days after and you can look back on the main thread to see that, then it was December, then Jan and now Feb, if I had just bit the bullet as I wanted instead of being put off (not by the Guy) by local installers, I would have had it for 4 months no problem.
I've being going by an official statement from SES released in early December which said;

"As part of SES’ ongoing fleet renewal programme, we will be transferring all the UK Spot Beam transponders currently operating on ASTRA 1N across to ASTRA 2E. This move at the 28.2/28.5ºEast orbital location will take place over several weeks beginning early February 2014.

The transfer will have no adverse implications for viewers in the UK and Ireland as the affected channels will continue to operate on the same frequencies and will be broadcast at the same, or slightly improved power levels, across the UK and Ireland. TV viewers outside the UK and Ireland may see an impact and may not be able to receive channels from ASTRA 2E UK Spot Beam, which has a smaller footprint than ASTRA 1N.

The new footprint on SES’ replacement fleet has been designed to meet the requirements of UK and Irish broadcasters who target their channels for distribution in the UK and/or Ireland. UK and Irish broadcasters hold broadcasting rights only for the UK and/or Ireland but not for other countries."

Of course there is every chance that the Feb move is delayed. None of us outsiders actually know so yes you're right, it could slip even further.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is not exactly on topic, but it is relevant

Kogan launches 55-inch 4K TV for £540, could come to UK

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/k...V0pusmGoK6X.99
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I know this is not exactly on topic, but it is relevant

Kogan launches 55-inch 4K TV for £540, could come to UK

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/k...V0pusmGoK6X.99
A 4K UHDTV is pretty much a waste of time until someone starts transmitting 4K programs or produces 4K BluRay disks.

They always rely on saying that it will upscale ordinary programs to 4K resolution but that is rubbish as up scaling cannot provide the extra pixels that are needed to give true 4K resolution.

It was the same with BluRay players that said they could turn an ordinary DVD into HD. It does produce a very slight improvement but a HD TV does the up scaling anyway otherwise you would get a small picture on a big screen
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:00 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

please read the posts ...´´any broadcaster has the right to SCRAMBLE its services for copyright purpose ....breaking that is a criminal offence ´´
mmmm what tsunami ???? even you friend GUY has said that most brits in spain will need a 1.9m €1500 dish and thats his figures ,and mine are a lot less conservative then that ...none of this is guess work ...the footprints are there now to test
5USA yes - good chance you can keep you normall dish
5USA No - get the €1500 for a dish bigger then a set of french windows ---

these are proven facts .... by members of the public to a non profit satellite group ...nowt to do with me

in Gibraltar and the algarve a €3000 2.4m dish dont work ...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...9153,39.506836
Here's something you might want to consider:

Faced with both contractual and political pressure to ensure that broadcasters take every reasonable measure to ensure their broadcasts are not received outside the geographical boundary limits of both the licence restrictions imposed by content rights owners, and to avoid reception by non residents (TV licence payers), broadcasters are faced with 2 technical choices:

A) encrypt their signals and require cards (as Sky does). This means a very large investment in encryption systems, conditional access cards, a complex subscriber system, and the ongoing costs of managing it. Not to mention backlash from the licence-paying public.

B) Take advantage of more advanced beaming technology being implemented in new satellites replacing those at end of life. The advantage is that Likely near-zero additional cost to the broadcaster, although it will never be possible to "beam" the signal in such a way that the signal will abruptly stop at UK borders. Nonethess it would be enough to satisfy the content licensors' contractual obligations an the political demands of those speaking on behalf of the TV licence paying public.

Bottom line: BBC and several others will be harder to receive the farther they are from the UK, but far from impossible for most. Tenerife? Yes you will probably need a monster dish. We are still receiving everything with a €200 1.5m dish. The new satellite is likely to be more similar to what's already been deployed than somehow dramatically tighter in its beam.

So, yes, you might need a bigger dish, but for many, if you are already receiving the 5's you likely won't need to change anything. Problem solved for the broadcasters, and everyone just carries on...

But you can be sure that rebroadcasting BBC and any other channels who have commercial and political obligations to prevent rebroadcasting outside their contractual and political limits, internet tv, even with all its technical difficulties, will never be without controversy. How that all pans out remains to be seen...

Its probably worth pointing out that Sky is encrypted and doesn't have any need to "tighten" its beam, so Sky subscribers will likely be the least affected.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 10th 2014 at 6:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.