Golf Club Bar

Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COSTA ESURI - AYAMONTE

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Most kind of you to point that out,but I was responding to JDR's post only, and not yours, which I actually agree with.
So keeep it in your trousers for another day, OK.

JDR
Mind your blood pressure,your sounding a liitle fraught.
ii Sure I am, ROTFLMBO you mean.

So they are Spanish then with a Spanish trading licence.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Golf Club Bar

So, Fortaleza, if Mikecol wanted to make a comment about all the restaurants in a particular area EXCLUDING the ones serving foreign food, (and this was my understanding of his comment) what adjective would you suggest he use to describe them? Using no adjective at all would not work as it would INCLUDE all the other restaurants.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

Ayamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s still Spanish cos it`s in Spain.
Has it got a Spanish licence to trade or a bloody Chinese one ?
What has the licence got to do with whether you are a Spanish restaurant or a Chinese restaurant? You can be either trading in Spain with a Spanish licenece.

Even the OP is telling you that you have missed the point, stop digging.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:07 am
Banned

Ayamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant future

Shouldn't this whole conversation be on the Restaurant thread?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ayamontino
What has the licence got to do with whether you are a Spanish restaurant or a Chinese restaurant? You can be either trading in Spain with a Spanish licenece.

Even the OP is telling you that you have missed the point, stop digging.

Oh dear.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Ayamontino
Shouldn't this whole conversation be on the Restaurant thread?

If someone had taken the mods job they could of moved them into the right thread for you. ;-)
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
So following your logic.
Someone asks you "Where can I get a Chinese meal locally".You say " Well there is this Spanish restaurant around the corner that sells Chinese food that is really Spanish as it is served in Spain, served by Chinese waiters that are actually Spanish because they are in Spain.You can't miss it .Its called Ho Chi Min named after a well known Spaniard.
VERY FUNNY - one of the funniest posts Ive seen for ages, cracked me up. THANK YOU!!

I dont know why there is SUCH a big discussion about adjectives and definitions - but this one made my day!

Thanks

Jon
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
If someone had taken the mods job they could of moved them into the right thread for you. ;-)
So what has happened about the Mods job? Haven't the judges come to a decision? Or no one brave enough?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Sharon B
So what has happened about the Mods job? Haven't the judges come to a decision? Or no one brave enough?
Like I said before, you would be a good selection. ;-)
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Veleta
So, Fortaleza, if Mikecol wanted to make a comment about all the restaurants in a particular area EXCLUDING the ones serving foreign food, (and this was my understanding of his comment) what adjective would you suggest he use to describe them? Using no adjective at all would not work as it would INCLUDE all the other restaurants.
Thank you Valeta captured my meaning and intention perfectly. Regards Bryony
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Bryony, thought you were a "him".
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:15 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Tosh! Since this area isn't laden with with foreign food, that comment makes no sense. Does Jerez have a glut of foreign food restaurants that you feel it necessary to distinguish between 'Spanish' and the rest? Apart from your tacky Brit Tw*t resorts, are there really any places in Spain that are so overburdened with foreign eateries that it is necessary to specify that you are talking Spanish places? Do you think a Spaniard says, 'I love eating in the Spanish restaurants in town!', FFS? Course not. Ask your husband if he feels the need to refer to Jerez eateries as Spanish - or, as we are already in Span, it is a given and the only real need to specify a nationality is when one uses a non-Spanish place. London is full of restaurants. You would say I'm going out tonight to a restaurant. If you wanted to be specific you might say which type out of the 50-odd plus nationalities to choose from. Yet if you were just going to a normal, run of the mill Englsih place, would you really say, I'm off for an English tonight! Utter nonsense!!

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Thank you Valeta captured my meaning and intention perfectly. Regards Bryony
I understood you perfectly, and I understood your intention, which is why I raised the point. It is, as I have stated in almost every post on this a petty point - pedantic. But one so many of you are guilty of. And yes, I realise it was done without a second thought in all innocence, as in all cases. No malice, harm or misunderstanding intended. It is however another example of the barriers expats put up - subconsciously I presume - to show there is a difference between them and Spain, that they (the expat) are stepping in to somewhere they don't automatically belong, rather just a guest or passer-by. If you are comfortable in your surroundings - as you would be in your place of origin - you wouldn't feel the need to draw attention to it. I've asked you to think of the times you have felt the need to specify that you are going to a British place when in Britain and if we are all honest we would say never as it is not necessary. That someone feels the need to do this in Spain suggests that, at least on a subconcious level, they are not 100% at home where they are.

Anyway, that said, I'm off now out of my Spanish place, down the Spanish street to the Spanish bar where I will have a few Spanish beers and maybe a few Spanish tapas.

(Or to translate: I'm off out down the road to the local for as few jars and a bit to eat! )
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Tosh! Since this area isn't laden with with foreign food, that comment makes no sense. Does Jerez have a glut of foreign food restaurants that you feel it necessary to distinguish between 'Spanish' and the rest?
No, Jerez hardly has any restaurants serving foreign food. And yes, if we are going out I would say "Vamos a un restauran español" if I particularly wanted to eat Spanish food, to the exclusion of all other types. Otherwise he has to retort with ¿y qué quieres comer?.

Although in reality it is highly unlikely that I would ever say that as the last thing I want to do when we go out is eat in yet another frickin venta serving the same old, same old. But that's another thread.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:21 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

No, Jerez hardly has any restaurants serving foreign food. And yes, if we are going out I would say "Vamos a un restauran español" if I particularly wanted to eat Spanish food, to the exclusion of all other types. Otherwise he has to retort with ¿y qué quieres comer?.
That doesn't make sense. As you say, there are hardly any foreign restaurants in Jerez (save Feng Shui, Burger King & Macdonalds!!!!!!!)

But if going out and you decided to go to a restaurant and he asked what do you want to eat, might you not say instead 'Shellfish' or 'Meat' or 'Fish' or even 'tapas' if you preferred eating light? The term 'Spanish' is such a broad church that given you are speaking to your Spanish OH, in a city not renowned for having anything other than Spanish eateries, why the necessity to distinguish. With the best will in the world - and please don't take this the wrong way - when I add up all that I've seen you post on here about your life and circumstances it doesn't make sense that you would make that distinction in a private conversation with your OH and I sense that maybe, just maybe, you said the above more to prove a point than to illustrate what is your reality. Now, I acknowledge that there is an AWFUL lot of assumption there but please don't take it as a personal attack as it is in no way intended that way. From what I understand from your posts, you live in a city with your Spanish OH and presumably Spanish family and friends as part of the deal, probably spending more of your time speaking Castellano than English and you seem to be quite removed from the 'expat scene'. For this reason I make the assumption.

EDIT: Just reread your second part about it being unlikely and now see what you mean. Scan reading I just saw it initially as an attack on Ventas (which for those of us who don't live in the Cadiz area is another way of saying Bar/Cafeteria/Food place - always found that funny the use of that word but, again, whole other thread!)

Last edited by Fortaleza; Jul 18th 2009 at 8:24 pm.