Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gas appliance inspection

Gas appliance inspection

Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:19 am
Just Joined

pt1188 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gas appliance inspection

To be fair a neighbour popped by saying that he was looking for a Francisco to fix his ac but hadn't heard from him for a while when my bloke turned to him to say "I am Francisco!" Confusion all round.

Anyway all's working well now. He even rang the gas company to terminate my account with them. Here's my 75L water heater installed.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Must be different fellow. I knew Francesco did a lot of jobs for people and assumed it was the same chap. Mea culpa.
Hi, I think you might be thinking of Francisco who is the concierge on M7. He is not the guy that does the boilers. Regards Bryony
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

George & Rosalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Not being a handy man myself, can you say what the cost of installing a water heater/boiler is?

regards
George
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

pt1188 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi George
We paid Francisco €330 to disconnect the existing gas heater and supply and fit the electric water heater. It's a Nofer SB75 which I checked could be bought online for approx €180-200. He also included an unnecessarily complicated electronic timer which has 10 on / off settings. I've replaced it with a simple timer which I can override with a flick of the switch for when I want to boost my hot water supply. Hope that helps
Peter
Old Sep 25th 2018, 7:13 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pt1188
Hi George
We paid Francisco €330 to disconnect the existing gas heater and supply and fit the electric water heater. It's a Nofer SB75 which I checked could be bought online for approx €180-200. He also included an unnecessarily complicated electronic timer which has 10 on / off settings. I've replaced it with a simple timer which I can override with a flick of the switch for when I want to boost my hot water supply. Hope that helps
Peter
We have the same installation. The boiler works for us two, but Im not sure if it would have sufficient volume if say we had 2 adult guests and all wanted a shower, at around the same time eg before brekkie, even if I put the temp up to max.

I was once enjoying a long hot shower on a cold day and the hot water ran out. Admittedly I was being very lazy, and we have no problems with normal use. We have had guests before and it worked ... But we awoke at different times. And I made sure that the boiler was not on timer then. It heats up quite quickly..

Francisco assured me that it was enough for his family which includes two teenage daughters, who apparently use water copiously!!

However if I did it again, for 'backup' I'd probably go for 100 litres, there is only a small difference in cost of the boiler, and installation is the same.

A couple of years back we had a forum discussion about time switches. With the excellent insulation of the boiler and the thermostat controlling the temperature, some thought that a timer was not necessary. Just leave it on always. I decided to use one anyway, as Francisco (a professional plumber) recommended it. But I had one already so didn't buy one from him paying less for the installation. However Im not convinced that its necessary.

Jon

​​​​​​​PS I bought a couple of thermostatic mixer taps from Leroy's - very reasonable cost and easy to install. You can leave it always set for the shower setting, and ask guests to reduce flow if all are wanting to shower at the same time.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 25th 2018 at 7:26 am.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

George & Rosalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter and John,

It sounds like good advice and reasonable cost in the longer run. I had previously looked at converting from natural gas to bottled gas to avoid the standing charge as you still get the virtually instant water heating and no need for a timer.

George
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

We have 80 litres and no issues with 4 adults and timers? Who needs timers just make sure to have a quality boiler with smart electronics to have low costs and always hot water IMHO