Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

FREE PARKING IN AYAMONTE

FREE PARKING IN AYAMONTE

Old May 20th 2016, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

AliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond repute
Default FREE PARKING IN AYAMONTE

As of today, parking is free in Ayamonte town , back to the good old days before the parking meters. The mayor has removed the parking charges. Personally, we were happy to pay the meter rather than be harassed by unofficial "parking attendants"
Old May 20th 2016, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: FREE PARKING IN AYAMONTE

Originally Posted by AliceB
As of today, parking is free in Ayamonte town , back to the good old days before the parking meters. The mayor has removed the parking charges. Personally, we were happy to pay the meter rather than be harassed by unofficial "parking attendants"

We find we are still harrased even if we do pay at the meter! Lately we have been using the pay car park by Eurotex or park on the gravel behind the bus depot and walk. Is this good news?? The charges were very low and now some guys who had legitimate jobs policing the parking charges are presumably out of work? Perhaps they will be redeployed to policing dog fouling.:-)

Last edited by Rosemary; May 20th 2016 at 5:13 pm. Reason: Corrected quote
Old May 20th 2016, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
We find we are still harrased even if we do pay at the meter! Lately we have been using the pay car park by Eurotex or park on the gravel behind the bus depot and walk. Is this good news?? The charges were very low and now some guys who had legitimate jobs policing the parking charges are presumably out of work? Perhaps they will be redeployed to policing dog fouling.:-)
Wait for the chaos in July and August anyone working or living in the town will now be free to park up all day & night if they want so all the Spanish tourists will park just about anywhere. Also all the money lost will have to be found by increased IBI and other new taxes such as the footpath crossing tax.
Old May 21st 2016, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

A & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond repute

The unofficial "parking attendants" seem to be a bigger problem than ever. Perhaps the Mayor should do something about them as the abolition of the parking charges will presumably do nothing to discourage them. The other day we parked in Ayamonte, and on walking towards the parking meter were loudly abused by one of the "attendants" who became extremely unpleasant and aggressive when we ignored him, shouting at us "Aleman" and a lot of other stuff that we were quite glad we didn't understand. At the same time, we noticed one of his cronies standing guard over the parking meter and hassling some people who had the temerity to put their money in the parking meter rather than giving it to him. The outcome? We drove off and went shopping somewhere else....

Last edited by A & M; May 21st 2016 at 4:21 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 21st 2016, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A & M
The unofficial "parking attendants" seem to be a bigger problem than ever. Perhaps the Mayor should do something about them as the abolition of the parking charges will presumably do nothing to discourage them. The other day we parked in Ayamonte, and on walking towards the parking meter were loudly abused by one of the "attendants" who became extremely unpleasant and aggressive when we ignored him, shouting at us "Aleman" and a lot of other stuff that we were quite glad we didn't understand. At the same time, we noticed one of his cronies standing guard over the parking meter and hassling some people who had the temerity to put their money in the parking meter rather than giving it to him. The outcome? We drove off and went shopping somewhere else....
I usually give them 50c or so and they seem happy with that. I used to get annoyed at being pestered but since I've taken the line of least resistance and started tipping I feel much less stressed and my car doesn't get scratched! Let's face it, it ain't going to break the bank and will help feed their kids.
Old May 21st 2016, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Re parking attendant especially one in the car park in front of El Jamon ... If I thought it would do any good I would report him every time he harasses me and my friends and relatives. He is a right nutter, stands over you at machine, demands money with menace, hates when you will not give him your partially used ticket, mutter abuse at you and generally frightens folk. Last time, he overstepped the mark with a very tolerant friend who let rip at him. He is not the best advert for the town with visitors continually harassed by him.
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

I went into town today and could not understand WHY it was so busy everywhere. All the shops and cafes were doing a roaring trade!! I can only assume it is due to the free parking. Hopefully, we will see fewer empty premises in future with proprietors consequently employing more people. More business rates payable to the town hall etc. Seems a win, win situation to me.
Old May 24th 2016, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I usually give them 50c or so and they seem happy with that. I used to get annoyed at being pestered but since I've taken the line of least resistance and started tipping I feel much less stressed and my car doesn't get scratched! Let's face it, it ain't going to break the bank and will help feed their kids.
FEED THERE HABIT MORE LIKELY...
Old May 24th 2016, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: FREE PARKING IN AYAMONTE

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Re parking attendant especially one in the car park in front of El Jamon ... If I thought it would do any good I would report him every time he harasses me and my friends and relatives. He is a right nutter, stands over you at machine, demands money with menace, hates when you will not give him your partially used ticket, mutter abuse at you and generally frightens folk. Last time, he overstepped the mark with a very tolerant friend who let rip at him. He is not the best advert for the town with visitors continually harassed by him.

Next time you are in the Central de Salud waiting to see the Doctor while your waiting look out the window into the car park in question you will observe these people openly dealing in Narcotic's. I ask a question if a tourist can witness these transaction's WHY CANT THE LOCAL OLD BILL SEE IT.?? Just saying.!!
Old May 25th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

The car park I was talking about is in front of El Jamon opposite the fish market. Doubt I could see it from the Centro de Salud even if I was ever waiting there to see a doctor.
Old May 26th 2016, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Wait for the chaos in July and August anyone working or living in the town will now be free to park up all day & night if they want so all the Spanish tourists will park just about anywhere. Also all the money lost will have to be found by increased IBI and other new taxes such as the footpath crossing tax.

More reason to use the bus service.