Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Faro Airport Car Tax

Faro Airport Car Tax

Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Faro Airport Car Tax

We have just booked a car for next month.
There is a extra charge of 15 euros for airport tax.
The hire companies are appealing this but we will have to wait and see or change to companies not using the no 4 car park.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faro Airport Car Tax

Originally Posted by EMR
The hire companies are appealing this but we will have to wait and see or change to companies not using the no 4 car park.
Tax avoidance
Old Feb 7th 2015, 2:04 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Tax avoidance
wibble wibble !!
Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, just booked a Clio thru ECH for next month - less thzn £60 for 8.5 days. No mention of any taxes to pay ???????? And nil cross border fee. Collect from car park 4 vans. When is the tax scheduled to start ?? Cheers Keith
Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:54 pm
EMR
Banned

It is due to start on 1st March.
You may have booked through ECH but which local company is actually supplying the vehicle.
It is they not ECH who will have to pay the airport charge and you may find that if it goes ahead you will be asked for it when you collect your vehicle.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

casey948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just booked a car through Travelrent and they advised:
> _*New tax fee from airport Administration*_*:*
>
> *Starting on the 1*^*st* *March, the airport administration is going to
> charge all clients from locally rent a car companies, the amount is 10
> to 15 euros per rental (the amount is not fixed yet). We don't know for
> sure if this is going to happen, we are waiting for their final
> decision. All locally rent a car companies are fighting against this.
> Any way, all clients should be from now on advised of this new tax. All
> clients have to pay to the company their renting from and then the
> company will give it to the airport administration.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
See the post about Travelrent below They are in Carpark 4
Old Feb 11th 2015, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all, I rented via ECH and the contract is with RIS (rent it simple) which appears to be another division of LUZCAR. It seems unlikely to me that they would ask for local payment of airport tax on arrival without this being written into the contract. I don't believe the local hire co's will be a pushover by the airport imposing this tax. I think they will evade paying for as long as possible and if it gets to courts & legal stuff, they will operate out of small compounds along the dual carriageway just outside the airport. I don't mind getting a cab to a compound that is going to cost about 2 or 3 euros. I prefer that to the principle of paying more tax. This is a typical short sighted Portuguese government type way of raising cash. They did the same with the motorways and now the PT taxpayer has to subsidise the swiss/austrian operating company to run the system because so few cars now use the Mways. Instead of raising money they actually lost money, and have massive wear & tear on the old roads due to the volume of traffic.
What bit they did not foresee ahead of the scheme I don't understand !!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:48 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi all, I rented via ECH and the contract is with RIS (rent it simple) which appears to be another division of LUZCAR. It seems unlikely to me that they would ask for local payment of airport tax on arrival without this being written into the contract. I don't believe the local hire co's will be a pushover by the airport imposing this tax. I think they will evade paying for as long as possible and if it gets to courts & legal stuff, they will operate out of small compounds along the dual carriageway just outside the airport. I don't mind getting a cab to a compound that is going to cost about 2 or 3 euros. I prefer that to the principle of paying more tax. This is a typical short sighted Portuguese government type way of raising cash. They did the same with the motorways and now the PT taxpayer has to subsidise the swiss/austrian operating company to run the system because so few cars now use the Mways. Instead of raising money they actually lost money, and have massive wear & tear on the old roads due to the volume of traffic.
What bit they did not foresee ahead of the scheme I don't understand !!
It is nothing to do with the Government but an attempt by the new French owners of the airport to increase revenue.
You are right in that the charge is being resisted .
In addition to Travel rent and Yor I have seen at least one other hire company refer to the possibilty of this extra. It is probably hidden away somewhere in the small print for all the operators.
My biggest gripe will be the loss of the vans for those companies who do not use the hut and having to join the long queues during peak periods.
The big operators, Goldcar, Avis etc will be rubbing their hands at the discomfort this is causing the competition.

Out of interest I did a comparison between RIS and YOR who we use and the RIS price was over 20euros more than the total YOR price who show the proposed airport charge as an extra.
It certainly will pay to shop around during this period of uncertainty.
" All inclusive " could end up costing you more.

Last edited by EMR; Feb 11th 2015 at 2:15 pm. Reason: added info.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Faro Airport Car Tax

WOW EMR : are you saying that YOR ? could do a clio size car for 8.5 days for only 40 euros including zero excess insce & fair fuel policy ?? Who are they ???? and can i have their web details please for future reference. I thought ECH were cheap, but not that cheap. Thanks keith
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:58 pm
EMR
Banned

I put in my dates and car type into the RSI site and it was over 20Euros more than YOR.
RSI were E130 we are paying ( incl posible airport charge E15 ) E107 to YOR.
No airport charge and it will be even less.
Nothing to pay until we arrive.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 8:17 am
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
I put in my dates and car type into the RSI site and it was over 20Euros more than YOR.
RSI were E130 we are paying ( incl posible airport charge E15 ) E107 to YOR.
No airport charge and it will be even less.
Nothing to pay until we arrive.
I just tried YOR website for quote.
Basic 3 door car with aircon for 14 days at Easter is quoted at £269.18 by Yor (includes 5o euro surcharge for insurance in Spain and 20 Euro surcharge for leaving it back outside of 9pm to 8.30 am. They're having a laugh.
RIS (via ECH website) for same requirements is £140 and car can be taken into Spain free of charge.
Even if I didn't stay in Spain, Yor are much more expensive.
I'll stick with the ECH companies.

Last edited by maccro; Feb 12th 2015 at 8:21 am. Reason: deleted word "plus" and used "and". corrected RIS quote - extra £10
Old Feb 12th 2015, 8:22 am
EMR
Banned

YOR do not quote in £ ?
But each to their own.
I do not know about RIS but I have heard enough horror stories from those who have arrived with a cheap quote and by the time they have left the airport the final cost has rocketed.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 8:29 am
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
YOR do not quote in £ ?
But each to their own.
I do not know about RIS but I have heard enough horror stories from those who have arrived with a cheap quote and by the time they have left the airport the final cost has rocketed.

Their website does a conversion to sterling at the bottom of the quote. The total quoted was 312.22 euro and it was converted to £269.18 stg
Old Feb 12th 2015, 9:06 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by maccro
Their website does a conversion to sterling at the bottom of the quote. The total quoted was 312.22 euro and it was converted to £269.18 stg
I would never pay sterling for a transaction out of the UK . far to many extras, exchange rate, bank currency charges etc etc.
Too many do not realise when asked if they want to pay in Euros or sterling that they have just given their supplier and the banks a nice bit of extra profit.

Last edited by EMR; Feb 12th 2015 at 9:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.