Reload this Page >

Electric vs Gas Water Heater

Electric vs Gas Water Heater

Old Jul 6th 2019, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Electric vs Gas Water Heater

Hi
I recall a few threads relating to replacing the gas water heaters with electric ones - just wondered how the running costs compare now that you have swapped ?
Thanks !
Old Jul 7th 2019, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electric vs Gas Water Heater

Hi, I don't find the running costs excessive. Remember that you get half price electric after 23.00 until midday or 13.00hrs ( would need to check bill to be sure of the times). If its just two or three of us having showers etc I set up a timer to come on on the lower tariff. In the event there are lots of us I leave it on constant, but of course the thermostat cuts in when hot. The insulation around the internal tank makes heat loss of stored water minimal. I have a 100 litre tank.
The main reason for having electric is that you can then disconnect the Gas and save a fortune in standing charges. Also there is a legal requirement to have a gas safety check every five ?? years I believe which costs circa another 100 euros. IMO the gas heaters are quite noisy in operation as well. The only way the gas system might cost in is if you lived there permanently and were a large family needing lots of hot water, but in all honestly you would probably switch to solar in that situation !
PS. Like everything else in life, you generally get what you pay for. Probably better long term to buy a Bosch or similar quality heater as opposed to a cheapo own brand thing on special offer.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Keith - appreciated
Old Jul 9th 2019, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi, I don't find the running costs excessive. Remember that you get half price electric after 23.00 until midday or 13.00hrs ( would need to check bill to be sure of the times). If its just two or three of us having showers etc I set up a timer to come on on the lower tariff. In the event there are lots of us I leave it on constant, but of course the thermostat cuts in when hot. The insulation around the internal tank makes heat loss of stored water minimal. I have a 100 litre tank.
The main reason for having electric is that you can then disconnect the Gas and save a fortune in standing charges. Also there is a legal requirement to have a gas safety check every five ?? years I believe which costs circa another 100 euros. IMO the gas heaters are quite noisy in operation as well. The only way the gas system might cost in is if you lived there permanently and were a large family needing lots of hot water, but in all honestly you would probably switch to solar in that situation !
PS. Like everything else in life, you generally get what you pay for. Probably better long term to buy a Bosch or similar quality heater as opposed to a cheapo own brand thing on special offer.

We have just switched to an electric boiler. The main driver was that the 12yo gas heater was showing signs of giving up the ghost. The cost of a new core or complete heater was around 300€ which was the same cost as the supply and fit of the electric tank. Plus the added benefit of no standing gas charges. I reckon that even if the electric costs a bit more (and on this short usage I don't think it does) the gas saving would more than cover it.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies - good to hear from those who have done this !